Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi peeps.
When it comes to technology I'm a real numpty, so please bear with me.
Like most folks our tv system in the van can't pick up UK tv stations much south of Bordeaux.
So if you want to watch UK tv how is the best way to go about it?
I've heard people talk about 'firesticks' but have no idea how they work or what they cost to use. Any advice will be much appreciated

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the amazon firestick, about £30 on black friday, plugs into your tv via the hdmi port. This connects to the internet, possibly using your phone or any other way you connect. Then it streams video sources, and at SD standard definition uses about 1/2 a gigabyte of data per hour used

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Mike, long time no see you on the forum.

If you have a sat dish it is possible to pick up UK channels on the back up sat on Intelsat 901 but probably a bit too techy for you to set up and your LNB & receiver need to be able to handle the high frequencies 901 uses.

If you have unlimited data on your phone streaming is the way to go either a Firestick or an Android TV box. I use a TV box, as data is limited roaming I download loads of series & films before a trip.

If you search the forum there is loads of info on both 901 (was 907) and streaming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
As TheBig1 says 4K firestick plugs into back of TV via HDMI, Usb to power and then connects to internet. we connect via Mobile phone hot spot. never had a signal problem.
The beauty of firestick is you can watch live TV and catch up... I have not used our sat dish in the last two years... streaming is the way forward.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Just be sure you get the 4K branded/capable Firestick at the ~£30 sale price
And NOT the old HD Firestick at it's RRP of ~£30 - iirc

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Mike,

4K firestick is a great bit of kit, however if you want to watch UK tv on it you will need a VPN (Nord VPN, Express VPN, Cyberghost) because you have a French mobile.
Also if you order one in France (mistake I made) then all the apps that come with it will be french related.
You can change the region on it but without UK mobile number it don't really make a difference.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Mike,

4K firestick is a great bit of kit, however if you want to watch UK tv on it you will need a VPN (Nord VPN, Express VPN, Cyberghost) because you have a French mobile.
Also if you order one in France (mistake I made) then all the apps that come with it will be french related.
You can change the region on it but without UK mobile number it don't really make a difference.
Or just buy yourself an English data only sim

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Is there one App that allows you to watch the UK main channels or is it a mixture of Apps, including some catchup Apps?

TIA
The way I use the FS is via separate catch up apps, like ALL4 & iPlayer.
Not heard of or really looked hard for another way.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
"Sideloaded???

There's more than one Numpty on Fun (Present Company included :LOL:)
This link describes adding Cinema HD via app sideloading with Downloader.

I chose that example link as I know Amazon support directed me to install the Downloader app to "side load" a FireTV fix into my stick for some issue debug :eek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
"Sideloaded???

There's more than one Numpty on Fun (Present Company included :LOL:)
sideloading is a scary term to a numpty technophobe, but is actually really simple. Amazon send out the firestick with their own APPs pre installed. All you need to do is go into settings with a couple of clicks and turn on the ability to load APPs from other companies, all via TV and remote. Then you are free to put what you want on and there is plenty of help on this forum to talk you through it. You only need to do it once though and from then on, you turn on the TV click the APP you want on screen and off you go

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
At the risk of being called thick would it be possible to load virgin tv go app onto a firestick?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've been reading this thread with interest because like Scattycat I don't get it.
the amazon firestick, about £30 on black friday, plugs into your tv via the hdmi port. This connects to the internet, possibly using your phone or any other way you connect. Then it streams video sources, and at SD standard definition uses about 1/2 a gigabyte of data per hour used
How much data do you have and how much do you use in a month? My provider has a fair usage policy of 20gig a month max. Using it for streaming and internet just doesn't last the month. Am I missing something?

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thanks for that TheBig 1 wasn't sure if it was worth while getting a fire stick but if its possible I'll get one on ordered tonight.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Just be sure you get the 4K branded/capable Firestick at the ~£30 sale price
And NOT the old HD Firestick at it's RRP of ~£30 - iirc
Although you are right in one sense there is also additional data involved in streaming 4k. The 4k version also controls the TV volume for most TVs but not Avtex so bear that in mind. There is a Firestick Lite which has most of the 4k features like Alexa etc but doesn't have volume controls so probably more suitable for Avtex users and costs £10 less.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Yes it is pretty easy to do
Hi yes easy to load Virgin TV go, on to firesticks we have 2 in the House and 1 in the MH, so I can cut down on have many VT Boxes we have in the House, just need to keep 1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've been reading this thread with interest because like Scattycat I don't get it.

How much data do you have and how much do you use in a month? My provider has a fair usage policy of 20gig a month max. Using it for streaming and internet just doesn't last the month. Am I missing something?
how much data you use will very much depend on how much tv you watch, but it is data hungry so half a gig per hour approximately. I am on an unlimited plan in uk which is limited when travelling. The vodafone 100gb contract though allows you to use all 100gb abroad

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
20gb won't even last a week if you are streaming everything you are watching.
You can save a lot of data if you download, Netflix & Prime allow you to download in lower resolutions.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We got into Firestick related data usage here #31
Maybe worth starting at the beginning of that thread for general FS stuff & data usage.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
At the risk of being called thick would it be possible to load virgin tv go app onto a firestick?
This how I side load Virgin TV to Go onto our Firesticks in the House and MH quite simple to do just need a couple of App and away you go.
1 Put Virgin TV to GO app on the Phone
2 Install APPs2Fire App on the Phone
3 Install the App Mouse Toggle for Fire Stick on the Phone

Then on the fire Stick follow the instructions from the APP to Fire to open developer option on the fire stick to enable ADB over Network this will then let install the Virgin TV to GO app onto the fibre stick, then you have to install the Mouse Toggle App, to navigate around the VT app.

You will need to have the Phone and Fire Stick on the same network to do this,

Once installed I have found that you need to leave ADB switch on for Mouse Toggle to start

This will let you watch all Virgin TV like at Home apart from BBC which you watch via IPLAYER and some SKY programmes but I have not been able to get SKY sports yet to run.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Although you are right in one sense there is also additional data involved in streaming 4k. The 4k version also controls the TV volume for most TVs but not Avtex so bear that in mind. There is a Firestick Lite which has most of the 4k features like Alexa etc but doesn't have volume controls so probably more suitable for Avtex users and costs £10 less.
Surely the Firestick player doesn't demand 4K streams for a HD telly :eek:
Either way, you can choose different quality stream qualities in Settings.

Streaming is client device based. So there should be different quality streams for bandwidth available and a device's resolution capabilities.
e.g. watching YouTube videos on your iPhone outside on 3G you'll get say, mid quality. Walk indoors during playback of same YT video into your home with cable based wifi & you'll start pulling high quality content for that video, with no user intervention.

It's ABR streaming.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi peeps.
When it comes to technology I'm a real numpty, so please bear with me.
Like most folks our tv system in the van can't pick up UK tv stations much south of Bordeaux.
So if you want to watch UK tv how is the best way to go about it?
I've heard people talk about 'firesticks' but have no idea how they work or what they cost to use. Any advice will be much appreciated
You can also just stream UK tv on catch up iPlayer itv hub etc

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Thanks for those instructions Phil 748 exactly what i needed will get on it when firestick arrives. (y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
APPs2Fire
Is Downloader a different tool for sideloading or just an alternative to APPs2Fire?

With Downloader how I've used it & seen on the Cinema HD example, you need to know the URL of the app package you need.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Another "thickie" question, doesn't FS and any other streaming device depend on strength of Internet signal. I have tried using data sim, tethering from phone but never quite get a decent "view" in weak spot areas. Perhaps not got right SIM, currently SMARTY. Perhaps FS is more reliable?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back