Waste drain pipe improvements - photos? (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Well it finally happened....we lost the waste drain pipe on the way home from our New Forest trip at the weekend (seems to be a common Bailey problem) :(

We still have all the bits so we can re-use those if needed, but rather than just replacing as-is I'm thinking about ways speed up the draining. So I'd be interested if anyone has photos of any mods they've made to their Bailey waste drain that they'd be willing to share?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This is the standard drain on my Burstner - Simple, secure and efficient.

DSC02204.JPG
DSC02205.JPG

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Unfortunately that very sensible system won't work on the Bailey without some
serious amount of modification and £s :(

These are the bits that were fitted (the taps looking a bit worse for wear after dragging along the M27 for a few miles):
QdnV8h7.jpg

And this is the space (I've circled the holes where the metal support bracket was fixed):
tiq63s1.jpg

I think my quick, easy (and cheap) solution is going be a length of convoluted pipe, a new tap and some tool clips to clip it up out of the way. We'll just have to unclip it and lay it on the ground whilst we're draining. On the plus side it should also make it drain a bit quicker and make it easier to reach some of the more awkward drains. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Convoluted pipe collects bits of waste suspended in the water and will eventually begin to clog up, it also cause a vortex when emptying slowing the flow of water.
If possible I would use rigid pipe and only use short bits convoluted where it needs to be flexible.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Alex's Burstner uses 40mm pipes as do most German vans, you can get all the bits from CAK Tanks.

I wouldn't even think about using convoluted pipe all the crud and muck will build up in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Convoluted pipe collects bits of waste suspended in the water and will eventually begin to clog up, it also cause a vortex when emptying slowing the flow of water.
If possible I would use rigid pipe and only use short bits convoluted where it needs to be flexible.
Most of it needs to be flexible unless I replace like for like. Which I don't really want to do as a) its very very slow to drain and b) its so close to the ground that its rather vulnerable to getting knocked off (which is also why you can't increase the fall on the outlet to drain quicker).

If it starts to clog up we'll take it off and replace the convoluted section of it, but we're careful to not put things like food waste down the sink and the length of convoluted we've been using for the past couple of years as an extension for draining at home is still fine so I've no reason to think that it'll be a problem.

Alex's Burstner uses 40mm pipes as do most German vans, you can get all the bits from CAK Tanks.
The Bailey uses 28mm pipe and whilst I'm sure there would be a way to fit something to make the 40mm waste kit fit the 28mm tank outlet, frankly its too much bother and expense as we won't be keeping this MH forever.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Bailey uses 28mm pipe and whilst I'm sure there would be a way to fit something to make the 40mm waste kit fit the 28mm tank outlet, frankly its too much bother and expense as we won't be keeping this MH forever.
Should cost less than 50 quid, just cut another hole in the tank and blank the exsisting one, easy job.

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
I did receive a 'bulletin' from Bailey re: the grey waste water taps becoming 'detached'. Apparently, they're considering it 'a fault'. Please refer to your dealer.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I tried corrugated pipetoo, which I bought from a Motorhome dealer for the purpose of extending the outlet to a more convenient place. It kept on breaking at each use. Turned out to be vacuum cleaner pipe! I’m back to solid push fit pipe now. I carry a few 1m lengths and some 45 and 90 degree pushfit elbows. I can generally get it where I want it to go.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you can get varying diameter heavy duty flexible pipe that is used for Jacuzzi's etc, it has a wire insert to make it flexible but does not have the dreaded corrugations.

i have a few pieces in my garage of i think 40mm. if yoy want too see it i can take a pic and post it if it would help id it.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
When I had mine. I cut a hole under the waste tank and fitted a 2" pond drain Valve. Connected the handle by small conduit piping, t's and cable ties. Bit Heath Robinson, but lasted 3 years until I sold the van. If I ever had another Bailey, that would be my first job. Cost, about £20.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back