Warning - Swift escape over-cab window (1 Viewer)

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For owners of 2017 Swift escape based motorhomes PLEASE READ...

I bought a dealer special Escape based 684 which was delivered in March. I was impressed with the push to operate window stays on the main windows that you do not have to tighten a pinch knob to secure the window open. They fall back to a preset open setting depending on how far you push it open. gravity holds it in the open position against a mechanism inside the stay. you reset it to close the window by pushing the window out as far as it will travel, then it returns to the closed position. Takes longer to explain than to understand it first time and to use it. A nice design. They are great for "top hung" windows.

However, Swift have used the same design of stay on the roof mounted panorama window over the cab, which is a massive mistake which resulted in the window blowing out, breaking along the bottom across the hinge area and ending up on the ground in front of the m/h. Check out the pictures. Why did it happen?

The window was open on the first (smallest opening) setting. The Thule awning was fully deployed as was the Heki roof light at the rear of the roof over the beds. It was a little breezy, but nothing "exciting". Now, please recall that the stays are free to move against a push of a hand and have no means of locking in position. A gust of wind passed over the roof and picked up the window. The window is "bottom hung", (the hinge is at the bottom) and the window sits, normally at 45 deg on the sloping cab roof. Once the window started moving, it accelerated to the almost vertical where the wind force was at a maximum- like a sail on a boat, the inertia of the window and the forces exerted broke the stays and the window continued its trajectory until it snapped at the hinge and landed on the ground in pieces. The awning and the Heki windows were not affected by the gust. The Heki roof light has a catch it locks in to when partially open so is restrained.

A call to my dealer resulted in a quote for over £450 + fitting + VAT for a new window and an assurance that this could not be a warranty issue. A very disappointing response.

After writing a full report and forwarding it to the dealer Customer Service Manager it was submitted to Swift for a warranty claim - rejected on the grounds that "you should not be driving with the windows unsecured"!!! An amazing response as the report I submitted explained that the awing was deployed and I was sitting outside the m/h at the time. After this was pointed out, they conceded that they would accept the claim and the window has been replaced. It took from mid June to early August to get the new window fitted.

The replacement window has the same stays! No way to secure the window when open. It will happen again without a doubt. The dealer assured me they had never heard of this before, but when I spoke with the technician who replaced the window, I asked him if he had seen this before he said to me "oh yes, we had one in a couple of weeks ago".

As far as I can see, only Swift use these stays on a bottom hung window like this. all other manufcturers have the clamp knob type. At one point I was ready to involve Trading standards as the window is not fit for purpose, but just in time, Swift stepped up to the mark.

If you have one of these set ups, PLEASE be careful how you use it. Thank goodness for Gorilla tape and super glue. took me best part of an hour to patch it up and refit it so I could get home. (yes, it was about to rain which started just as I finished!

This matter needs an open discussion with Swift and their dealers, but I fear that will not happen.

IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you jointed the Swift forum? Might be worth raising it on there for others to be aware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought, could you put a hook/loop on the edge of the frame so that you can put a strap around the centre securing handle on the window? Then when you open it in future it can't pull any further open - not ideal I know but at least you won't be faced with this again.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Joined the forum last night. responded to a post about paint sealants. Might be being a bit thick, but I can't see a button anywhere to post a new thread! eventually lost the will to live and went to bed.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was thinking of changing the stays for the more "normal" design. need to do some research on ones that will fit or can be adapted. I'm not waiting for swift to do a recall. My Bro-inlaw. took delivery of his new Swift M/H last week so despite them being aware of this issue since June, they are still delivering with these unsuitable stays.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That is an awful design for a roof window. Our MH has that type of window along the van sides (I think many do) but three different designs of roof lights - none of which are the push-stay push-close type.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
BTW, there is no centre securing handle, only on the ends. A temp fix would be a small ratchet strap around the two end handles and around a broom handle across the opening. Not pretty, but simple. Probably best just to not use it for now. for ventilation, there is always the first notch on the locking handles.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What occurred to me at the time is that if anyone was walking past at the time it could have caused serious injury. Did swift acknowledge this? Not a chance.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Our CHAUSSON 510 has the same design, so good ( or not) to know about.for this. Suspect all current Chaussons have the same design.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I bought a dealer special Escape based 684 which was delivered in March. I was impressed with the push to operate window stays on the main windows that you do not have to tighten a pinch knob to secure the window open. They fall back to a preset open setting depending on how far you push it open. gravity holds it in the open position against a mechanism inside the stay. you reset it to close the window by pushing the window out as far as it will travel, then it returns to the closed position. Takes longer to explain than to understand it first time and to use it. A nice design. They are great for "top hung" windows.

We had these in our previous (non Swift) MH on the top hung side windows, and eventually they wear out and fail to engage in the open position. Our kitchen window ended up being propped open with a piece of dowel, but that was after about 9 years of use.

Having them on the top sky light is utter madness, not least because you have to push the sky light fully open in order to close it, and who'd do that in a strong wind? Surely you have a case with Trading Standards for the sky light being unfit for purpose? Failing that, maybe look at the piston-type stays that are used in car boots?

Our current MH is a Swift-built 2017 Bessacarr 484. By way of comparison the sky light is secured along its back edge by solid sliding metal struts using a crank up system with a crank handle in the ceiling. Absolutely no give if a gust comes from behind.

Clearly Swift have the capability to fit their sky lights safely, but are choosing not to in some models.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Joined the forum last night. responded to a post about paint sealants. Might be being a bit thick, but I can't see a button anywhere to post a new thread! eventually lost the will to live and went to bed.
Not thick. I was finding it less than obvious. You need to click on the Forums tab above and enter the specific forum you are choosing to post on. There you will find a button to start a new post. There is no such facility on the 'recents' overview page.

Wyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its a while since I've been on there but I think you have to have respond to other threads a certain number of times before you can start one.

OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the tips on the swift forum, I'll try it later.

I have worked on a solution today. I found a dealer who was selling a pair of what look like compatible 150mm tube type stays with a clamp and was about to order them £19.95/pair. when I saw he wanted £9.99 for postage, I balked. (not logical, it just felt like an overcharge).

So, I took one stay off the window and took it into my workshop. I thought about drilling a series of small holes to put a pin (a removable "R" clip) through when the window was open on one of it's two stops to lock it all in place. I clamped the stay together with a small workshop clamp so it would not move as I was drilling. It occurred to me that as the stay was now locked together and that was what I was trying to achieve, there must be a way to do this clamping thing in place without modifying the stay. Here is my prototype.

The hose clip is a special, a sophisticated sort of "jubilee" clip operated by hand, not with a screwdriver. Made by Uvex (size22). I think a 22mm thumbscrew type jubilee clip would work as well. Between the inside of the clip and the aluminium stay is a short length of spiral cable wrapping to act as a sliding surface to protect the ali from scratching. It's made from some tough plastic like polypropylene and just slides beautifully without being squished by the Uvex clip.

With the clips slackened slightly, the window works as it should. when it is in one of the two preset positions, and the thumbscrews are tightened, the window is locked in place. doesn't look too shabby either (IMHO).
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 52

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You have to be careful on the SWIFT Forum they don't like people complaining .. :rolleyes: ..

If you complain to much you just get .. BANNED

What a rubbish design. Wonder which bright spark thought of putting a side window on the roof. Are these windows designed for that. If you look at a normal roof window it has a proper seal round it and is shaped on the outside to keep the rain out, It also has a proper handles etc to lock it in place. All that window is relying on is a small rubber seal round the edge that touches the perspex and you cannot even lock it in place when its up.

Last edited:

Mbg

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift escape
Exp
This has just happened to us on Monday. 2017 escape 685 same position as yours and gust of wind and window landed on road in front of our pitch. Cant believe it just missed a child cycling past. Our warranty was up last week but have emailed swift. This is actually a serious issue. I am going to contact trading standards if nothing is done as this should be recall this could seriously injure someone.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They are pretty rubbish even on side windows. I have one in my bathroom and kitchen. Both are a pain in the backside to get to stay open without a lot of fiddling and pushing on the arms. Why on earth they would fit one on the roof is behind me. One gust and off it went.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We had nothing but grief with our Escape sunroof in the 9 months we owned
One stay locked at a different height to the other, then it jammed

The Elddis we bought last week has a windey-handle opening ststem
Was one of the little things weput a small “tick” against in the buying process

Good luck with the fix

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ditto, Same type fitted to Rapido`s BTW. Fortunately ONLY as side windows but setting a window opening is a hit and miss affair.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

However, Swift have used the same design of stay on the roof mounted panorama window over the cab, which is a massive mistake which resulted in the window blowing out, breaking along the bottom across the hinge area and ending up on the ground in front of the m/h. Check out the pictures. Why did it happen?

The window was open on the first (smallest opening) setting. The Thule awning was fully deployed as was the Heki roof light at the rear of the roof over the beds. It was a little breezy, but nothing "exciting". Now, please recall that the stays are free to move against a push of a hand and have no means of locking in position. A gust of wind passed over the roof and picked up the window. The window is "bottom hung", (the hinge is at the bottom) and the window sits, normally at 45 deg on the sloping cab roof. Once the window started moving, it accelerated to the almost vertical where the wind force was at a maximum- like a sail on a boat, the inertia of the window and the forces exerted broke the stays and the window continued its trajectory until it snapped at the hinge and landed on the ground in pieces. The awning and the Heki windows were not affected by the gust. The Heki roof light has a catch it locks in to when partially open so is restrained.

A call to my dealer resulted in a quote for over £450 + fitting + VAT for a new window and an assurance that this could not be a warranty issue. A very disappointing response.

After writing a full report and forwarding it to the dealer Customer Service Manager it was submitted to Swift for a warranty claim - rejected on the grounds that "you should not be driving with the windows unsecured"!!! An amazing response as the report I submitted explained that the awing was deployed and I was sitting outside the m/h at the time. After this was pointed out, they conceded that they would accept the claim and the window has been replaced. It took from mid June to early August to get the new window fitted.

The replacement window has the same stays! No way to secure the window when open. It will happen again without a doubt. The dealer assured me they had never heard of this before, but when I spoke with the technician who replaced the window, I asked him if he had seen this before he said to me "oh yes, we had one in a couple of weeks ago".

As far as I can see, only Swift use these stays on a bottom hung window like this. all other manufcturers have the clamp knob type. At one point I was ready to involve Trading standards as the window is not fit for purpose, but just in time, Swift stepped up to the mark.

If you have one of these set ups, PLEASE be careful how you use it. Thank goodness for Gorilla tape and super glue. took me best part of an hour to patch it up and refit it so I could get home. (yes, it was about to rain which started just as I finished!

This matter needs an open discussion with Swift and their dealers, but I fear that will not happen.

View attachment 178790 View attachment 178791

I bought a dealer special Escape based 684 which was delivered in March. I was impressed with the push to operate window stays on the main windows that you do not have to tighten a pinch knob to secure the window open. They fall back to a preset open setting depending on how far you push it open. gravity holds it in the open position against a mechanism inside the stay. you reset it to close the window by pushing the window out as far as it will travel, then it returns to the closed position.

What surprises me is that you seem to think this in 2017 was a new design.

Our N&B Arto 2003 has these.

Geoff

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have them on our side windows in our 2018 Hymer and I have to say I’m not impressed with them in fact I once pitched close to a tree and opened the kitchen window one click when we went to close it was unable to open far enough to make it close.
Lesson learned.🙄

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have them on our side windows in our 2018 Hymer and I have to say I’m not impressed with them in fact I once pitched close to a tree and opened the kitchen window one click when we went to close it was unable to open far enough to make it close.
Lesson learned.🙄
We did that a few years ago ... hubby was cooking and rather than open the sliding door he pushed the window open ... all well and good except when he needed to close it he couldn't as there was a ruddy hedge preventing it being pushed out far enough ... we ended up having to carefully move the van to get enough space! :giggle:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did that a few years ago ... hubby was cooking and rather than open the sliding door he pushed the window open ... all well and good except when he needed to close it he couldn't as there was a ruddy hedge preventing it being pushed out far enough ... we ended up having to carefully move the van to get enough space! :giggle:
Yes we had to do the same😊

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Push hedge with a broom? - ours only need about 1" movement to release.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good idea except it was one of those prickly very 'stiff' type hedges so no option but to move.

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough

Hi Nicholsong,

I've sent you a PM, but unsure if I have the correct person as I have deleted my old PM`s.

Please ignore if it isn't yourself.

Thanks

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm utterly baffled by this fascination for "flooding light into your motorhome".

First things first, I hate feeling like I'm sitting in a floodlit goldfish bowl & the blinds are crap so you cannot even get darkness to sleep in, secondly & more importantly is the tendency for these goggle boxes to leak, just read the stories on here of major repairs required when a Heki roof leaks.

Seems to me that it'd be better for motorhome manufacturers to allow the choice before chopping huge plastic holes in a motorhome (or caravan) roof?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm utterly baffled by this fascination for "flooding light into your motorhome".

First things first, I hate feeling like I'm sitting in a floodlit goldfish bowl & the blinds are crap so you cannot even get darkness to sleep in, secondly & more importantly is the tendency for these goggle boxes to leak, just read the stories on here of major repairs required when a Heki roof leaks.

Seems to me that it'd be better for motorhome manufacturers to allow the choice before chopping huge plastic holes in a motorhome (or caravan) roof?

We are not fascinated with flooding light in, but we appreciate our large windows for seeing the view outside, including our v. large panorama w/screen, which we appreciate both when mobile to see mt. tops and when static.

We have good blinds for closing, including a metal pull-down one for the w/screen, so we can have light or almost complete dark.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back