Warning - Caravan Club ferry discounts..... not what it says on the tin (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi

I am a member of the Caravan and Motorhome Club (currently) and decided to get a quote for a ferry to get home last week.
The crossing was one way, from Rotterdam to Hull, with P and O Ferries. Just me and a 6m PVC, in the cheapest cabin possible.

The CAMC was £11 more expensive than booking direct, and also more expensive than using Direct Ferries for the same crossing, cabin and cancellation/amendment fees. As I was in Holland, I just shrugged and went direct.

However, it niggled, and I rang them this morning to query this. I was informed that CACM always offer a discount, and that ferry prices fluctuate. So, I did another quote while on live chat, for tonight, and surprise surprise, it was still £11 more expensive. The Live chat operator then did the same experiment and duplicated my findings.

Her explanation was that "this does happen sometimes". I commented that it had happened on two consecutive Tuesday crossings, which indicated to me that there was a problem with their system, and that they are misleading their members. She repeated her previous remark and added that members get a lot of discounts. I have requested that she log this as a formal complaint, and will wait to see whether I get any response. She was perfectly pleasant, but clearly operating to a script.

So, my advice is to do your own research. It was not a lot of money, but it's the principle of the thing. I shall not be renewing my membership.

Hope this helps anyone else potentially paying more than they should.

Karen

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is anyone really surprised?

The only people that think the Caravan and Motorhome Company exists to benefit its customers are the ones that have experienced the deepest level of brainwashing and stick rigidly to the party line that it's a members club and carries out no commercial operations whatsoever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anecdotal story about a traveller walking into a ferry operator's ticket office at Calais to buy an Instant ticket.
He was respectfully directed to the computer terminal in THE SAME OFFICE to book his ticket as he would have been hung out to dry by booking at the desk.

Makes you think.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The CAMC has been a rip off for years, with it's stupid rules and regulations that are much more about what you can't do than can.
Their saving grace is good standard of facilities, but in my opinion they could be much better value than they are. When you can travel through France and use sites from 11 to 19 euros with ACSI, park which ever way you want on your pitch, it can be quite depressing coming back to the UK. Facilities vary, but are always adequate and generally cleaned by one person and not closed. It always looks like a military operation at a CAMC site.
We just stayed at Le Cormoran near St Mere Eglise for 19euros a night, an expensive one, just check yourself what the CAMC would charge for a three night stay with their 'discount' It cost us 57 euros (£47.88)
The CAMC have their advert up at Le Cormoran, so it should in their list. I'd estimate around £20 more.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Over the years I've found the best way to buy ferry tickets is to do a search on something like Aferry and then phone the operator showing the cheapest ticket and ask nicely for a discount on that price. In about 50% of times I've done that I get a bit of a discount so they do have some flexibilty.

On one occasion I had to return from France unexpectedly, 2 weeks ahead of my return ticket date, and went into the DFDS ticket office at Dunkerque quite prepared to buy another one-way ticket - too much of a hurry and too stressed to be asked to haggle over amending the original. The very nice lady there gave me a price (twas rather a lot) but suggested I phone the Dover office on the freephone at the next desk - I did and they put me on the ferry that was already loading and at no extra cost.
There are some helpful people around.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We saved over £20 By booking ourselves rather than going through the club. And more than £150 on our holiday booking as well. That is when we got out.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Having worked for a ferry company I know they are like any other business, they seek to make a profit. If we had 150 cars on a ferry likelihood is that there would be 20 different fares. We worked with both clubs and around 70 other organisations to offer discounts varying according to day/time/month of travel and from 5 to 40% discounted. Of course the clubs or whatever seek to make their little profit as well muddying the water somewhat. The best way to book a ferry is to try several offers and go with the cheapest, never, never just turn up. If you do, park up and book on line.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We always use the CC or C&MC as it is now, always over the phone and always the best deal (better than their own online), you get a discount when you take the Camping Cheques so might as well have them even if you don't use them, but it might have to be a return to get the best deal I don't know.

Martin

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We always use the CC or C&MC as it is now, always over the phone and always the best deal (better than their own online), you get a discount when you take the Camping Cheques so might as well have them even if you don't use them, but it might have to be a return to get the best deal I don't know.

Martin
I agree, I have a great collection of camping cheques, and have already used some 2015 vouchers to prepay at camping los escollos for this new year !
Also if booking for a one way or return sailing from Europoort or zeebrugge ask for the price in euros not sterling, from p and o and you will also find a great saving.
Regards,

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back