Warden Couple Wanted For Golden Cap Holiday Park Dorset (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Saw this & thought it may be of interest to some Funsters - not much money but great location:

TOURING WARDEN COUPLE OR FRIENDS AT GOLDEN CAP HOLIDAY PARK
We are looking for a positive, motivated couple, or friends, to join our Team at Golden Cap Holiday Park, situated on the stunning Jurassic Coast.
This is a full-time position from the end of March until November 2021. **
At Golden Cap, along with our fantastic location and views, we have privately owned Caravan Holiday Homes together with Hire Caravans and Lodges & Safari Tents & Pods as well as Touring and Camping. Please see www. wdlh.co.uk for more detail of our parks
As Touring Wardens you will be responsible for the Touring, Camping & Glamping areas on the park including two toilet and shower blocks with additional facilities for the peak summer. You may also assist in other areas of the park operation – shop, catering outlet and reception.
You will need your own touring caravan or motorhome and a touring pitch is supplied free of charge. In return for this you will be on a rota to be on call no more than 3 nights per week, when you are available to deal with any emergencies or issues which may arise. More detail about this and park checks will be available at interview.
Hours are around 45 hours per week per person and the wage is £8.72 per hour which is due for review on 1st April 2021.
If this position interests you, please e-mail your CV's, or details of previous experience to jobs@wdlh.co.uk.
** We are hoping the position will start at the end of March but we are waiting on government guidance of when holiday parks will be able to re-open.

1612222309363.png

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sounds rewarding but hard work that 45 hours per week but are the 3 on call nights in addition to the 45 regular hours?

I wonder if there is a payment for each night you are on call,regardless of whether you get called out?
Unless I’ve read it wrong

your pitch is free but you have to be on call 3 nights a week to get it for free lol

There was a court ruling a couple of years ago

if a company tells you

You have to be at a certain place at a certain time and you can not leave that place

Be it your home or you place of work you have to paid min wage for the hours on call

Not sure what the ruling was exactly but the judge said if you cannot go out for fish and chips or to the cinema

Because you had to stay in that place on call it’s classed as work

That’s why a couple of years ago both big clubs changed the late arrival times to 8 pm and give the on call staff a mobile phone so they could go off site for a meal shopping etc

It sent both clubs into panic mode when they found out some of the wardens / site assistants knew about the ruling

Just think of all the back pay they would of had to pay if a warden took any of the clubs to court lol

I cannot tell you who posted it on a open forum for some of the staff to see lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Unless I’ve read it wrong

your pitch is free but you have to be on call 3 nights a week to get it for free lol

There was a court ruling a couple of years ago

if a company tells you

You have to be at a certain place at a certain time and you can not leave that place

Be it your home or you place of work you have to paid min wage for the hours on call

Not sure what the ruling was exactly but the judge said if you cannot go out for fish and chips or to the cinema

Because you had to stay in that place on call it’s classed as work

That’s why a couple of years ago both big clubs changed the late arrival times to 8 pm and give the on call staff a mobile phone so they could go off site for a meal shopping etc

It sent both clubs into panic mode when they found out some of the wardens / site assistants knew about the ruling

Just think of all the back pay they would of had to pay if a warden took any of the clubs to court lol

I cannot tell you who posted it on a open forum for some of the staff to see lol
Thats still ongoing I don’t think it’s law at the minute, I think Mencap lawyers challenged it?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You maybe right Paul

I know one of the cases was a carer who did sleep overs and she was paid a nightly fee it worked out about £3 per hour

Her employer said as she could sleep on the job she won’t get min wage

The above was in Scotland and she won her case on the point yes she could sleep but she could not leave the place

I sure the second case was a ambulance crew who were on stand by

They could of been overruled at some point

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thats still ongoing I don’t think it’s law at the minute, I think Mencap lawyers challenged it?
I’m out of touch now Paul

Your spot on Mencap won there case

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I think it would come down to can you leave the site when you are on call

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve stayed there. It’s part of the Highlands End group, it’s at the foot of Golden Cap hence the name . Very nice pub by the entrance but the inside bit is tiny. No bar on site unlike Highlands End, just a tiny shop. You can’t just walk down into West Bay or Bridport though. You’d probably want a car as well if you’ve got a big van for days off.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
It may be slave labour to some but being a self employed gardener for 25 years there were times that would have been a good income.
By the time you serviced and ran all your machinery and vehicle and allowed for inclement weather and the fact that it is not highly paid that would have been something to consider.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
That’s a lot to do for the money, a big site too and being where it is will be very popular, more people=more work!
We have done several seasons on a campsite in the past and although we were only the cleaners it’s surprising just how much you end up doing!
Most people don’t care how much mess they make because they know they don’t have to clear it up!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
We’ve stayed there. It’s part of the Highlands End group, it’s at the foot of Golden Cap hence the name . Very nice pub by the entrance but the inside bit is tiny. No bar on site unlike Highlands End, just a tiny shop. You can’t just walk down into West Bay or Bridport though. You’d probably want a car as well if you’ve got a big van for days off.
Your £8:72 per hour is not going to go far in that pub! As has been said nothing to do locally - not that it would seem you would have much time anyway.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
When we worked for the club after we retired from our real jobs.

A camper asked me did I know of a place where we can eat I told her the name of a pub down the road that has good reviews

She said have you ate there and was the food good I said no I go to greggs on the wages the club pays me

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Seeing the state of the toilets would freak my out. Cleaning up after the state some people leave them in.
Phil
A few of our friends give up the job due to COVID
One of the reasons was the cleaning side of the job and the other reason was coming into contact with so many people

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
It was a great site when they had the pitches at the front with nothing but grass between you and the sea. Now they have used that area for their hire lodges you get stuffed up the back of the site or to the left hand side with no view. Better to stay at Highlands End and walk down to Seatown now.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Dropped out of the rat race some time ago and tried C Club Assistant wardening',using it as a means to work in the summer and get off into the sun in the winter. The job was easy enough,booking ins and outs,cutting grass on a ride on mower.... Toilets ?.I think some people must have stood on the rim of the toilet bowl doing certain tasks. Up at 05.30,first job toilet/shower block,then breakfast.
Pluses. During lulls in the day,you have people to talk to,often on a weekend you would be included in a group BBQ etc. The ladies may bring you a cake,the men beer/wine.
Money. Rent,rates,leccy,gas,water,all free,but it helps if you have a bit of money for emergencies,most people applying will have some sort of pension.
There will be people who love it,i think there are funsters who do it "Seasonally " for one of the big clubs they love it. We loved it,it was only because the price of houses where going through the...Roof ? :ROFLMAO: I pulled the pin ,we bought another house and i went back gearjamming🚛.
Would it fill a gap in your plans ?
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
old-mo ... how desperate are you ...... :imoutahere:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i assume thats the wage x2 or do they just pay one of you ?
Seeing as they are asking for a couple and the wage is per person I assume it's 45 hours per week each, ie 90 hours total.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A few of our friends give up the job due to COVID
One of the reasons was the cleaning side of the job and the other reason was coming into contact with so many people
I was going to say the same thing. Given previous history it's likely there will be a lot of pressure to open up while there are quite a few cases. I would have thought meeting a lot of people from all over the UK and cleaning toilet blocks etc could be a bit dodgy for very little pay.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
£8.72 is the current minimum wage. The 'review' in April is because the minimum wage is due to go up to £8.91. Sorry....National Living Wage!
Seems daft that the position starts at the end of March, and the NLW goes up at the start of April. Why not just advertise it as £8.91 per hr to start.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be they are hoping it gets delayed in coming in and if they advertise the higher rate they will still have to pay it

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
That’s a lot to do for the money, a big site too and being where it is will be very popular, more people=more work!
We have done several seasons on a campsite in the past and although we were only the cleaners it’s surprising just how much you end up doing!
Most people don’t care how much mess they make because they know they don’t have to clear it up!
It’s good to hear a first hand account from someone who’s actually “done” it, I was thinking the same thing, that any site as big as that is going to be hard graft, not that I mind a bit of graft,but a site with two toilet/ shower blocks, not forgetting the extra facilities during high season which need attending to, it seems you could spend a lot of your day just cleaning toilet blocks, and if you do get a rare moment when you’re not cleaning, no mention of a tea break, it’ll be off to reception to put some time in there or one of the “catering outlets”?working in a takeaway or chippy maybe, I don’t think so, and when not doing any of those things, you can make up your hours cleaning out statics on changeover days, or sorting out glamming pods maybe, and if you’re still looking for something to do.....Lol . I don’t think so, doesn’t sound like you’ll have time to wipe your own a**e...... sounds worse than slave labour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back