'Wandering Bird' Toolkits, Step-by-Step guides etc. Worth The Money? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone!

As I'm sat enjoying our very first MoHo adventure, I was looking at the Wandering Bird website and wondering if the guides, toolkits etc. that they sell are worth they money. Has anybody bought these, please? If so, would you recommend them? Are they full of useful information or full of basic common sense? I'd be interested to read your thoughts before I part with my cash!! šŸ˜±

Thank you so much :smiley:

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I'm not sure but there's a buyers guide on which cover all thing in a van not just when buying one

This book will save you money, probably a lot of money. It will show you, step step by step, how choose the right motorhome and then show you how you can easily negotiate the very best price. This book is FREE to subscribers. Download it by... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/the-motorhome-buyers-guide.181/

The fountain of knowledge on here, is worth the Ā£20 per year

You tube is free for most video about anything and everything

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That website is run by a Youtuber that recently made a video claiming a basic swamp cooler is an Air conditioning unit . In my opinion ,useful Information on that website is limited .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Hi everyone!

As I'm sat enjoying our very first MoHo adventure, I was looking at the Wandering Bird website and wondering if the guides, toolkits etc. that they sell are worth they money. Has anybody bought these, please? If so, would you recommend them? Are they full of useful information or full of basic common sense? I'd be interested to read your thoughts before I part with my cash!! šŸ˜±

I'm sure lots of us will have a look at the website this evening and give our 'expert' opinions, it'll be something to do whilst Love Island is on šŸ˜

• Funny
Reactions: HKF

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
That website is run by a Youtuber that recently made a video claiming a basic swamp cooler is an Air conditioning unit . In my opinion ,useful Information on that website is limited .

And, like most YouTuber's they probably received that item to review for free, in order to "promote" it to their followers, because, after all, they are influences

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
And, like most YouTuber's they probably received that item to review for free, in order to "promote" it to their followers, because, after all, they are influences
Exactly. Itā€™s all pretty obvious now . I stopped watching the vanlife channels who chose to review those bloody Jackery power packs . Of course they are going to recommend them , they got it for free šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly. Itā€™s all pretty obvious now . I stopped watching the vanlife channels who chose to review those bloody Jackery power packs . Of course they are going to recommend them , they got it for free šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Me too, think it was van build Mel, or similary named, was really pushing them in his self build, and it was a quick "u-subscribe" there and then

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I follow John Mills on his "Doubleboost" YouTube channel, mostly engineering and repairing stuff. He does a few honest reviews of items that Banggood send him. He always starts his spiel with "If you buy this item via my link, I will get a small commission" but he then goes on to say " If it's shite, I'll say it's shite ! " Can't say fairer than that, if only others were as honest ?

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Was thinking about asking the same question , thought about the books and video (online) re finding the best Aires when doing France ,Spain , some of the prices seem OK, some of the other stuff is common sense .

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to be non-committal but I've had a look and it's hard to say whether they would be worth the cost. Personally I wouldn't buy these guides because I'm basically a practical person and you can find the answer to almost anything on the internet with a bit of patience. I also don't mind spending hours trawling for ideas for trips and travel ideas. On the other hand they obviously suit some people.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thank you everyone. I think I'll give them a miss. Being a newbie MoHoer, I think I was looking for a bit of confidence-giving guides and stuff but I think you're right....with a bit of searching, I can probably find what I need for free....and possibly pick up other tips along the way! :smiley: Thanks everyone for your time (y):cool:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi everyone!

if you really need to then the All The Aires books are worth considering, if you can get yourself an old copy and see if its of any use to you before buying the latest books. our books are a couple of years old but still provide a great reference/starting point.

i would recommend you stay away from you tubers publications. you may be surprised when you do a you tube search for aires (or other such stopovers in different countries) on how easy it is to find aires, places to visit etc for free !!

• Love It
Nov 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
In between
I was surprised to read this. I used the Wandering Bird website as a bible when I got my first van and her guides gave me so much confidence as a beginner. Sure, as you gain knowledge and experience you can find things out elsewhere, but I would (and have!) highly recommend them to anyone starting out.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The best tip I read was only buy things as you need them ( a bit late for me ) , I bought everything I thought Iā€™d need , now half of them are in the shed
You'll probably need to get a bigger shed for the rest of it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I tend to use www.campingcar-infos.com when searching for a suitable aire. This web site covers all (well, at least most) of Europe. There is an appli for the smartphone too. FREE

John
It was one of the first websites I used for aires and had their POIs on my Garmin ,.. but haven't used in ages.. now use Campercontact, Search4Sites and Camping Car-Park

Unfortunately, they don't have the app on IOS ..

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Hi everyone!

there is plenty of free advice on Wandering Bird channel. Some of it is handy for a newbie. But I wouldn't buy anything from it.

Kat is now touring round on her own, with dog mostly. Her husband doesn't feature now. I believe he took ill during covid and stopped being part of the duo's touring. Think they are still together but not sure.
He has his own business that he can run from anywhere and when they were touring together would occassionally, take off for a couple of days to see a client. She left her job as a senior air traffic controller at NATS where she also trained the new controllers. Worked at Heathrow I think. When you read into how they were able to "just save her salary" for the year before packing in and going full time. Bear in mind that they will have had a very considerable income. I think her position would have had a salary in excess of Ā£100K.

as has already been pointed out some of the advice may not be entirely correct. But that is true of all the youtubers. Some are Ok, many are rubbish. Some are just annoying. But troll through the vlogs and there some good places they have visited that will give you ideas for your trips.

Last edited:

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
She started off OK. Not watched many videos!! But every article is unoriginal, crammed with adverts, 3 lines of text, advert - 3 lines text advert repeat, repeat Then there is all links to amazon. Dont let this happen to you, buy this {affiliate link}. It's tedious. Ceased to be useful, now its just there for the cash.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think that most influencers start off with good intentions & many do have areas of expertise but as soon as they become popular & monetise what they do then there is high risk of that corrupting their output especially if that role is their main income. It can, however, be fun to watch/read their stories as entertainment but would use Fun forum for less biased, frank opinions & as a more reliable source of information as so much more experience & knowledge to draw from.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I've been using this for years, it's free

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've been using this for years, it's free
It's also sadly lacking, only France and Spain in the European guide.. and nowhere as many stops as on (for instance) Search For Sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back