VW Crafter conversion (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Son and DIL have jumped in and bought a 2016 VW Crafter with a view to converting it to a campervan

55k mileage, nothing on the MOT’s, seller has just had it MOT’d and comes with 6 months warranty and it’s a bargain apparently but he hasn’t told me what he paid for it 🤔

Just wondering if there’s anything he needs to look out for regarding nasty bits, problems etc. Know it’s a bit late as he has already bought it but at least I can make him aware

TIA

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Hi
Hope thet have fun in converting it, think that will be quite exciting for them

The only factor I can contribute in my EXTREMLY limited knowledge (and that's an understatement) is to check the undercarriage of the van for any rust and see if it needs a re-seal. Maybe check the internal floors for any bouyance or movement.

Good luck, hope they enjoy the adventure

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It depends what it did in it's first use. But clean it out thoroughly before even thinking about converting. A friend of mine had rust in the lower panels where dirt and screws had accumulated in the wall. This absorbed condensation and started rusting from inside out.

Repair any scratches or rust on the floor before covering too.

Obviously too late now but even fleet vehicles have a servicing history. Sometimes just a printout. But ensure that the things like cambelt were done within the schedule

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bonsaiman
Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
It depends what it did in it's first use. But clean it out thoroughly before even thinking about converting. A friend of mine had rust in the lower panels where dirt and screws had accumulated in the wall. This absorbed condensation and started rusting from inside out.

Repair any scratches or rust on the floor before covering too.

Obviously too late now but even fleet vehicles have a servicing history. Sometimes just a printout. But ensure that the things like cambelt were done within the schedule

Thanks, haven’t had chance to speak to them in any detail but will mention service history and cleaning out

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
If it's 2016, is it a full-on VW or the older Merc Sprinter with the VW face-lift?

Not that I know much about them, but worth knowing in terms of looking for parts, equipment that fits etc.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Sam, who lives local to us in Cumbria, started a YouTube channel about 2 years ago called Crafty Blinders where he bought a VW Crafter and converted it himself to quite a high standard.
Very informative, blow by blow, channel that shows warts and all.
First video in the series is below where he explains the project and buys the Crafter...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I have a fairly new fridge for sale which I bought for an aborted project.
If of any interest I could arrange to send photo's etc, based in Ross on Wye, Herefordshire ,as would obviously need collecting.

OP
OP
Bonsaiman
Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for the offer but a bit far as they live in Garforth West Yorks

Also they are now expecting their first baby so are reassessing what to do with the van 🤷🏻‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back