VPN in France (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Missus and I are off to the French Alps(Bourg Saint Maurice) in a weeks time and I think I have accepted that I am not going to be able to use my Sat Dish to get the Astra 2 Satellite as we will in theory be out of the reception area and I only have a relatively small dish.
So... I'm thinking of getting a VPN subscription so that I can sparingly stream BBC iPlayer and Sky Go using my Phone data of which I have amassed around 24GB, assuming I can get a decent data connection.
Any thoughts on this and is there a wifi repeater available to help maybe catch a wifi signal?

Deleted User
If you have UK sim you will not need a VPN, make sure that you stream in low definition, this uses about 800Mb/hour on iplayer, no idea about Sky.

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
If you have UK sim you will not need a VPN, make sure that you stream in low definition, this uses about 800Mb/hour on iplayer, no idea about Sky.
That's interesting, SKY don't charge me any data if I use SKY Go in the UK, I wonder if it is the same abroad?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As posted above you don't need one. We've used our phone data in France and Spain with no trouble accessing UKTV.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
That's interesting, SKY don't charge me any data if I use SKY Go in the UK, I wonder if it is the same abroad?
If it is the same now, it may not be after full Brexit. As phone companies will no longer be bound by the EU rule that says they need to provide EU roaming and charges...
Also, you should be able to get the majority of the sky pay channels in all of france anyway, as they are on the nice and easy to receive European beam. It is the channels (BBC ITV C4 Five, BT Sports , UKTV, SD Discovery), that are on the UK beam that proves hard to receive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr Librium
Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
If it is the same now, it may not be after full Brexit. As phone companies will no longer be bound by the EU rule that says they need to provide EU roaming and charges...
Also, you should be able to get the majority of the sky pay channels in all of france anyway, as they are on the nice and easy to receive European beam. It is the channels (BBC ITV C4 Five, BT Sports , UKTV, SD Discovery), that are on the UK beam that proves hard to receive.
Well we won't be taking our SKY receiver, and as you say the UK beam doesn't quite stretch to the Alps.
Let's hope there is an agreement on EU roaming after December, it would be good for them too so it makes sense if they want our holiday custom!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back