Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
One for the electrical gurus I think.
I have twin agm hab batteries connected to Victron regulator.
Having checked the whole system I have the following.
From regulator output to batteries I have a volt drop of about 1.3v.
A bit for each section of wiring plus about .7v across the Sargent control box.
This results in a slightly low absorption voltage at the batteries.
Rewiring would improve it, but not inormously.
My question is:

As I can adjust the absorption and float voltages, would it be OK to 'adjust ' the Victron settings that would achieve the desired voltages at the batteries? Thereby negating the volt drops.

Geoff

Reactions: DBK
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What exactly do you mean by a Victron regulator? Does it regulate the charge from the solar, alternator or mains charger?

A mains charger probably has 'voltage sense' wires that can be fitted, which automatically tell the charger to increase the voltage to maintain the correct battery voltage.

A Victron solar controller (if it has Bluetooth) can get battery voltage information from a 'BatterySense' module that sticks on the battery. It transmits by Bluetooth, and allows the solar controller to adjust the output voltage to the correct value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Autorouter, that's the tool.
I had not come across it, but having now looked at spec, it will do what I want.
I guess there is not a simpler way of connecting a battery voltage sensing wire to the controller?
By the way it is a Bluesmart 100-15

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't think it has any direct battery measurement sensing wires, like the mains chargers have. However if you get a BatterySense module and stick it on the side of the battery, it will also sense the battery temperature and adjust the voltage for that as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks again. I see there are two versions: short and long range = 3m or 10m range. I have gone for the 10m range to future proof the system.
My main concern is undercharging the AGMs for long periods, apparently not good for them.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks again. I see there are two versions: short and long range = 3m or 10m range. I have gone for the 10m range to future proof the system.
My main concern is undercharging the AGMs for long periods, apparently not good for them.

Geoff
That’s why I try to tell ppl to size the wire from controller to batts properly to reduce the voltage drop to almost 0, or reasonably practical. You can have a bit of drop from panels to controller, but not from controller to batt. Not allowed, as it will mess the settings. I have a 100/50 controller with 16mm2 cable run 0,6m max to batt. I still get some voltage drop, and use a batt sense networked with the charger to compensate for the drop. I could run a 25mm but space is tight.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
That’s why I try to tell ppl to size the wire from controller to batts properly to reduce the voltage drop to almost 0, or reasonably practical. You can have a bit of drop from panels to controller, but not from controller to batt. Not allowed, as it will mess the settings. I have a 100/50 controller with 16mm2 cable run 0,6m max to batt. I still get some voltage drop, and use a batt sense networked with the charger to compensate for the drop. I could run a 25mm but space is tight.
Hi
My biggest volt drop is across the Sargent control box, with no obvious cause, more an accumulation of various components. I could bypass the Sargent but it does have some useful features.
Looking at the battery sense I think it will correct this charge at the batteries.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back