Vodafone reintroduce roaming charges (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just seen on the BBC Vodafone will be reintroducing roaming charges for Europe.

This follows the decision by EE to do the same.

Not great news at all.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Unfortunately firms will allways look for new opportunities to make money.

Will we be able to buy a european sim card to use in our phones as a possibke way to reduce these new travel costs?

Deleted User
I thought i heard the report say something about new customers will have to pay £1 per day? im assuming theres a possibility it might not apply to existing customers? (yes i know, not likely!)

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I thought i heard the report say something about new customers will have to pay £1 per day? im assuming theres a possibility it might not apply to existing customers? (yes i know, not likely!)
Apparently applies to upgrades and new customers. As soon as your contract ends, they slap the charge on so there is no escape except to another provider who will probably follow suit.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The next question will be is:
Do any of the suppliers in the EU (Same companies of course) offer a contract that includes UK roaming for free ?

In which case we buy a SIM from them and still have EU and UK free roaming (all be it with a French or German or whatever number)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Do any of the suppliers in the EU (Same companies of course) offer a contract that includes UK roaming for free ?

In which case we buy a SIM from them and still have EU and UK free roaming (all be it with a French or German or whatever number)
We are in France and enquired with Orange about taking out a contract as we will be spending more time in Europe than UK over the next few years. We were advised we cannot take out a contract as you need to be a resident / address / bank etc. within the EU. So PAYG sim for us.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

I bagged a sim only deal last month from EE. Threatened to leave em and go to vodaphone (at the time they were leaving the roaming charges off) so anyway I got a sim only 200gb unlimited calls and txts £25….wait for it….. with a 1 choice of add ons, which I can change ONCE a month,
1, is Apple Music (which I choose when in the U.K.)
2, BT sports which I won’t bother with.
3, Free roaming, which I can choose the day before I go abroad, then switch back to Apple Music after a month when back in the U.K. Fair usage (cap) applies abroad like it did before 25gb comes to mind but don’t quote me!
You can only switch between these options ONCE every month!
NOT the cheapest deal but it suits me👍

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All the UK providers will follow suit and introduce roaming charges sooner or later. The problem is costs have gone up because providers over in mainland Europe have put up their prices for providing a roaming service. It was capped under EU law but that doesn't apply to UK companies now.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Just some info regarding this from what's been announced so far:

Vodafone have announced they are going to charge £2 a day roaming charges from January 2022 for new and upgrading customers.
EE are going to charge £2 a day roaming charges from January 2022 for new and upgrading customers.
O2 are said to not be charging anything extra but they will introduce a roaming data cap of 25gb a month however no date given. (Reported)
Three are said to be reducing their fair use limit next month from 20gb to 12gb a month. (Reported)

No one else has made any announcements just yet from what I can see.

Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
When they say £2 per day, is that just with phone online, ie even with no calls/messages etc ?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
When they say £2 per day, is that just with phone online, ie even with no calls/messages etc ?
Its likely to be the same arrangement as their current non-included roaming - so any activity at all (data, calls or texts) triggers the charge.

For example, current roaming fees for Andorra:
You'll be charged £6 a day to use your UK allowance of data, minutes and texts - and you'll only pay on the days you use your phone.
    • A day is midnight to 23:59 in the capital of the country you're visiting
    • It's always free to receive standard rate calls and texts
    • If you go over your inclusive allowance, you’ll pay the same rates as you do in the UK
  • 4G data is available in Andorra
  • You can also use the data from your plan abroad in your inclusive roaming destinations, just to note there’s a 25GB roaming fair use policy per billing month. This includes any Data Extras that are available.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
The link I was working from is here for anyone who wants to have a read:

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Reading this thread got me thinking how much the cost of data plans had gone down in the U.K. and I wondered if the price in the EU was now higher than the U.K. hence roaming was unaffordable and the majority of U.K. customers were subsidising the minority of customers who benefit from roaming.
www.Cable.co.uk survey the price of data packages across 230 countries over the last 3 years. The cost of U.K. packages has gone from $6.66 per GB in 2019 to $1.42 in 2021,, one of the biggest falls anywhere. So the first part of my theory is supported by their survey, however even with that fall the U.K. is ranked 78th out of 230 countries on price with Italy 4th and France 11th at 0.27$ per GB and $0.41 respectively. Now that doesn’t give the actual cost of roaming to the provider but shows that data plans can be cheaper.
One further oddity is the disparity across the EU with Germany 155th at $3.38 and good old Belgium at $5.28 per GB.
I suppose we can only draw some comfort from the fact with even the £2 per day charge for roaming we are still paying less for it than a few years ago. Also how does a Pay as you Go contract with an Italian phone company work out in comparison ?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Daily Express 13 Sept 2018

1628612135646.png

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don’t think it applies to existing customers who have roaming included in their package, only to upgrading or new customers

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t think it applies to existing customers who have roaming included in their package, only to upgrading or new customers
Until your current contract ends.

We will all be caught eventually unless one network decides to go against the flow.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’m not sure all companies will start to charge. Three said they would not but, the difference between them and other companies is they provide free roaming in different countries all over the world, I think because they have their own providers in those countries. I think USA & Australia are just 2 of them but I think they have them too in other EU countries like France from memory

Deleted User
I’m not sure all companies will start to charge. Three said they would not but, the difference between them and other companies is they provide free roaming in different countries all over the world, I think because they have their own providers in those countries. I think USA & Australia are just 2 of them but I think they have them too in other EU countries like France from memory
The three countries that I regularly visit all have Vodafone branches/subsiduaries. France, Spain and Portugal yet they still want to apply roaming charges!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back