Visiting London (1 Viewer)

cjbrooker

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Hello,

I'm looking to visit London for a few days sightseeing in May/June half term with my wife and 3 young kids (aged between 5 and 10).
I'm looking for recommendations/options for a site (CL, pub stopover, campsite, anything) with good close (walkable for small legs, possibly a short taxi) links to central London via train, underground or bus in under 1 hour, ideally around 30 minutes.

We're in a motorhome so don't need EHU or shower/toilet block. Just a space to park for a few nights.

Also really looking for somewhere west side of London as I'm travelling from the west country. I'm aware of Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace Caravan Club sites but they are on the east side or south of London.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I've been trying to plan a similar trip. The closest I've found so far is Eurocarparks at Bayswater Road, right next to Hyde Park and Queensway Tube station. Haven't tried to use it so don't know if it's practical. Also - remember the ULEZ, if you're not Euro 6 compliant you'll have to pay to get in. You can check that here: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

According to the SearchforSites app, you can book on line at £30 for 24hrs, or call 0207 563 3000.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Quite a few possibilities shown on the Search for Sites website, some within walking distance of public transport into London.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Living near London, but North, my advice would be not to go too far into London, but get near public transport to get you in to the centre.

Something like this. Only found as a google, not tried it.

50 mins, to the centre. Some sites may be on quicker train lines.

OP
OP
C

cjbrooker

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
C class
Also - remember the ULEZ, if you're not Euro 6 compliant you'll have to pay to get in.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. It looks like it's not in the ULEZ though so no charge to drive to it.

My original idea was to stay at Hoe Farm CL site near Woking with is next to a mainline station to Waterloo but they are having drainage work done so aren't open for a few more months.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, I’d recommend looking for places to stay around the stations near the end of the Metrpolitan Line, for example Chorleywood, Little Chalfont, Rickmansworth which are on the Herts/Bucks border. They’re very easy to get to from the M25/M40, and about 45 mins direct into Baker Street Station, then change (or walk) from there. Also, The Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio tour is very close to Chorleywood. The only thing I don’t know is whether the Station Car Parks have any height restrictions on them, so you’d need to double check.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. It looks like it's not in the ULEZ though so no charge to drive to it.
Yes, but get in before October when it gets a lot bigger - it's the one in Brum that starts on 1st June, got them mixed up.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Kelseys Campsite, Woollett Hall Farm, N Cray Rd, Sidcup DA14 5ET.
10 minute walk from Bexley station.
22 min train ride into London Bridge Stn, 30 mins into Charing Cross.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
On the Western side of London, with the C&CC you have Chertsey, Walton on Thames, and further out Horsley. All will be outside the London Emission Zone restrictions. All are over a mile walk to the nearest rail station which will eventually get you to Waterloo. Walton on Thames would use Hersham rail station which is at least mainline and should be the shortest rail trip, perhaps 30 minutes. Chertsey rail goes an indirect route and it can be better to change trains, but will still take approaching an hour if the timings are wrong. Walton on Thames site is a way from any amenities. Chertsey has a big pub closeby. Horsely will also be a bit remote.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
<Broken link removed>

This is near Hersham train station rather than Walton on Thames CCC. Near a small Tesco.
Chertsey C&CC is not too far from Chertsey station. Think this will be best option for you depending on trains.
If your Euro 6 Crystal Palace CC is the best option as in London.
Enjoy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have used Abbey wood CMC site twice and it’s ideal for visiting London, 5 minutes to train station then about 30/40 to city.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are having a tiring day sightseeing, the last thing you need is a long train ride and then walk or taxi back to van.
I would look into getting a family room in inexpensive hotel, you might find that the cost of pitch, 2 taxis, 4 return train tickets add up to similar and would make the whole experience more enjoyable. London at night near the river is magical.
The last time I stayed there with son and daughter-in-law in law and baby, we got an Airbnb apartment very reasonably and right in the West End.
For example, i found this one with good reviews near the river for around £300 for your stay last week in May

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are having a tiring day sightseeing, the last thing you need is a long train ride and then walk or taxi back to van.
I would look into getting a family room in inexpensive hotel, you might find that the cost of pitch, 2 taxis, 4 return train tickets add up to similar and would make the whole experience more enjoyable. London at night near the river is magical.
The last time I stayed there with son and daughter-in-law in law and baby, we got an Airbnb apartment very reasonably and right in the West End.
For example, i found this one with good reviews near the river for around £300 for your stay last week in May
You would also save on meals by going back to room in the day for tea so that you could then go out again after dark.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
3 kids under 10 dragging around London sounds fun. I think the hotel suggestion very good, somewhere to run to if they get tired and bored.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
You would also save on meals by going back to room in the day for tea so that you could then go out again after dark.
3 kids under 10 dragging around London sounds fun. I think the hotel suggestion very good, somewhere to run to if they get tired and bored.
Agree with this.

We live 70 miles outside London but there are parts of it that I can get to faster by public transport than many Londoners.
You will see far more if centrally based than on the outskirts. Children that age cannot last too long without food and rest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back