Virgin Media Hub 3 (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have the above hub for broadband with a second linksys wireless router plugged into an ethernet port to give a signal boost on the other side of the house where the wifi signal was weak.
The tv is also hard wired to the VM hub and works ok.
I've become aware though that my phone and laptop won't connect to the VM hub wirelessly, I'm sure they used to, instead they default to the linksys wifi.
I've gone into the 192.168.0.1 to look at settings, but frankly I don't know what I'm looking for :swear:
Anyone have any ideas what to look at ?
PS I've already tried turning it off then on again, lol
TIA

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you turn off the linksys router, will your devices connect to the VM unit?

Presumably your Linksys and VM wifi are different named systems.

I believe, buried somewhere in Windows network settings there are options for it to remember and forget certain networks and decide which network is seen as priority. Meanwhile devices may take the strongest signal possibly your linksys as the one it prefers.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
When you scan for wifi networks does the SH3 show up? If so you need to tell the device to connect to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Log into your VM modem and from the home screen click on Modem mode and check you have the router mode enabled. If it is in modem mode the WiFi is switched off! Don't forget to set the passwords from the default in the Admin settings.
ezee

Reactions: GJH

MikeinPoole

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Poole, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
IH 630FL
Exp
Since 1990
If you have connected your Linksys to the Hub3 & it is working you must have put the Hub3 into modem mode & as such it no longer acts as a router so nothing can connect to it via WiFi. The Linksys is now your router instead of the Hub3.

An alternative would be to put the Hub3 back to router mode & buy some WiFi boosters to reach those other parts of the house.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My money would also be on the Virgin hub being in modem mode. When we were with Virgin we had to do so and use a third party router for WiFi range and stability. There was very little ‘super’ about the Virgin hub that I can recall.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I was given a hub 3 by virgin as the hub 2 was rubbish, the hub 3 was much worse, I switched back to the hub 2 put it in modem mode and bought a router. The hub 3 is in it's box in the loft.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have the above hub for broadband with a second linksys wireless router plugged into an ethernet port to give a signal boost on the other side of the house where the wifi signal was weak.
The tv is also hard wired to the VM hub and works ok.
I've become aware though that my phone and laptop won't connect to the VM hub wirelessly, I'm sure they used to, instead they default to the linksys wifi.
I've gone into the 192.168.0.1 to look at settings, but frankly I don't know what I'm looking for :swear:
Anyone have any ideas what to look at ?
PS I've already tried turning it off then on again, lol
TIA
The Virgin box will be a router and provide the addresses for your network. If you can switch the dhcp off on the lynksys router from what your saying this is providing the addresses to your network. If you cant replace it with a device that is a switch you shouldn’t have more than one device handing out dhcp addressing. Treat yourself to a wfi-6 mesh network Wi-Fi-6 is the latest technology. Some thing like these which will work with your existing virgin hub, I have just installed some These would work with your virgin hub I have just installed them and get 63Mb all over the house in the garden and even installed one in my garage for the security camerasand have 63mb all over the house garden and one in the garage where security cameras are installed. My mate has just had the same issue where a home server kept issuing dhcp IP addresses he switched the dhcp part off and his network has settled down.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
On the HUB3 you can connect your own WiFi router in two ways. Either you place the HUB3 in modem mode and connect your own router to a specific ethernet port or you turn off both wireless (2.4 and 5ghz) bands on the HUB3 and use any ethernet port to connect your own equipment. You are likely to get into a mess having both routers using WiFi - there are only three non overlapping channels on the 2.4ghz band and you could end up with your own equipment and the HUB3 on the same channel which would not be ideal. When the hub is in modem mode it's IP address changes to 102.168.100.1 from 192.168.0.1

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hubs provided by service providers ARE routers. These devices are designed so any average person can install them. They provide a means of providing an automatic small network in your home for extending the network either through a Wi-Fi system or hard wired these devices are known as a switch, there are unmanged smart or manged switches, switches are cheaper than routers Major companies will install managed switches and these as the name suggests are managed by It department etc. The majority of homes can benefit from unmanaged or smart switches. If you have a IT technical background people sometimes change out the the router (hub) supplied by the network provider for their own router to create and design thier own network. But take care of you do this as most network providers will A) provide a router to give optimum security for home users B) manage it remotely to help keep your home safe and load firmware updates. If it’s DIY and unmanged you risk security breaches etc.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all input, I've had a fiddle with settings, VM hub 3 is in router mode and whilst the VM hub is listed in networks available I can't get anything to connect to it.
I'll probably ring VM helpline tomorrow and see if they can sort it out.
Thanks again (y)

If you turn off the linksys router, will your devices connect to the VM unit?

Presumably your Linksys and VM wifi are different named systems.
No
&
Yes

When you scan for wifi networks does the SH3 show up? If so you need to tell the device to connect to it.
Yes, the VM wifi router is seen in list of networks but entering password doesn't connect it

Log into your VM modem and from the home screen click on Modem mode and check you have the router mode enabled. If it is in modem mode the WiFi is switched off!
Yes, in router mode

The Linksys is now your router instead of the Hub3.
As above

If you can switch the dhcp off on the lynksys router from what your saying this is providing the addresses to your network.
DHCP is switched off on the Lynksys router

When the hub is in modem mode it's IP address changes to 102.168.100.1 from 192.168.0.1
Hub 3 is in router mode

Hubs provided by service providers ARE routers. These devices are designed so any average person can install them. They provide a means of providing an automatic small network in your home for extending the network either through a Wi-Fi system or hard wired these devices are known as a switch, there are unmanged smart or manged switches, switches are cheaper than routers Major companies will install managed switches and these as the name suggests are managed by It department etc. The majority of homes can benefit from unmanaged or smart switches. If you have a IT technical background people sometimes change out the the router (hub) supplied by the network provider for their own router to create and design thier own network. But take care of you do this as most network providers will A) provide a router to give optimum security for home users B) manage it remotely to help keep your home safe and load firmware updates. If it’s DIY and unmanged you risk security breaches etc.
Not sure how my setup sits in that ? I have the VM hub3 with the Lynksys router connected (DHCP switched off) providing a boosted wifi signal to a wifi dead spot in the house.
I have no IT background lol

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Is the problem your security settings, make sure you have the wireles MAC filter switched off on the VM.
ezee

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Personally, I wouldn't use the VM router for Wifi. Indeed I don't. If you can't get your entire house from a single access point, buy a Wifi Mesh system like the Deco X20 (many other choices available) with enough access points and do it properly. Otherwise, you'll be forever fiddling around and disappointed with performance.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi, I have switch off the VM wifi on the router and have a BT Home wifi meshed system. left the VM router as normal so can use the 4 Ports on it to direct connect work PC to it, work fine all around the house.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back