Viability of running a 240v 120w domestic freezer on 12v (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
El Cheapo domestic freezer is about £100...
12v camping equivalent is several times that...

Supposedly 53 watts running, 120 watts peak
In the real would a 300 watt pure sine inverter cope with the compressor start up when off EHU?

Any reasons why this is a bad idea
Mainly for Kerry's food on an extended trip

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Batteries?
Solar?

53 Watts is just over 4amps and may run for a total 20 minutes per hour so around 2.5amp/hr.......24hours = 60amps plus startup current every time it starts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

In the real would a 300 watt pure sine inverter cope with the compressor start up when off EHU?

Glad you asked as I was thinking of similar but with a smaller fridge that is only 60w.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

This video may be of interest, comparing compressor fridges, 12V direct and 240V with inverter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you do have to have a pure sine wave inverter these days for modern fridges etc . i used to use old fridges etc but they seem to be disapearing these days .
i use pure sine and a not pure old inverter. modified sine wave is the not pure version.
i find many things like my old plastic twintub washing machine will work on the not pure sine wave one.
these days i use an undercounter fridge freezer . it needs the pure sine inverter.
i use ring electrical inverters they seem good quality.
yes i still have and use gas lights . got loads of mantles just incase they dry up and cant be found .
i do have 12v lights as well but like the gas lights and the thermex catalytic room heater.
also a wall mounted gas fed water heater for the shower etc .
i like being old fashioned .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bit more googling suggested that I'd need probably a 1000w pure sine inverter to cope with the start up spike...
So the cost of that, and the freezer itself would undoubtedly be more expensive than buying just a cheapie chinese 12v camping freezer.
Which is what I've done, ordered at 11pm last night, delivered just now 2pm. £195

Yes the inverter could possibly be used for other stuff - not that I can think of anything I'd want to.
Yes the capacity is a little less 22litres vs 31litres but I don't think I need all that space. My onboard fridge's freezer capacity is about 10litres.
The form factor & footprint is obviously a lot smaller, so has more flexible positioning.

Plus - for non technical me... a simple plug in & play is worth it's weight in gold.
If it doesn't work, it goes back to Amazon.
If a 240v freezer & inverter combo doesn't work, then that gives me headache & hassle.

Now I've got to go play :LOL:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I ran a 1970s Bejam freezer for several days off a cheap Chinese 300W pure sine wave last month.

Check energy efficiency. Anything old might take a lot more energy than your battery/solar can keep up with. I found it used around 100Ah per day. A modern energy efficient freezer should be much better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back