Very slow pressure drop on front offside tyre (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have always noticed that our front driver side tyre needed a bit more air than the other three. For instance, if I put in 60 psi into both front tyres, then in about a month, the nearside would be 59 and the driver side around 48-52.

So I was really eager to get my upgrade from 215 R15 70 Michelins to 225 R15 70 Bridgestone.

But driving it around yesterday, the Tyrepal meter was reading that the near side was 60 psi (correct) and the driver side was down to 51 psi. The problem hasn't gone away. Is it the wheel damaged in some way, or just an incredible coincidence?!

I have a full sized, matching alloy spare wheel, so can swap. The pain of it is that the spare still has on a 215 R15 70 Michelin. It was unused, so I kept it on as an emergency.

What do you think?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have always noticed that our front driver side tyre needed a bit more air than the other three. For instance, if I put in 60 psi into both front tyres, then in about a month, the nearside would be 59 and the driver side around 48-52.

So I was really eager to get my upgrade from 215 R15 70 Michelins to 225 R15 70 Bridgestone.

But driving it around yesterday, the Tyrepal meter was reading that the near side was 60 psi (correct) and the driver side was down to 51 psi. The problem hasn't gone away. Is it the wheel damaged in some way, or just an incredible coincidence?!

I have a full sized, matching alloy spare wheel, so can swap. The pain of it is that the spare still has on a 215 R15 70 Michelin. It was unused, so I kept it on as an emergency.

What do you think?
Maybe a leaky valve or slow puncture somewhere so best take it in to get looked at.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
How old is the van? Leaky alloy? Leaky tyrepal seal?
Take the wheel off and dunk it in a paddling pool or baby bath that will give you a good idea where the leak is or drop the wheel off at a competent tyre fitter to investigate👍

Upvote 0

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I had to have both valves on the rear replaced recently for the same problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had a similar problem it was the metal tyre valve leaking where it seals to the rim. I was able to tighten it as you can tighten them without taking the tyre off.

Could also be the O ring seal on the back of the valve that would mean replacing the valve.

Another possibility is corrosion where the tyre seals to the alloy wheel, if minor can be cured with a sealant tyre fitters use.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Maybe remove the tyrepal sensor on that wheel and inflate to 60psi, leave it for 24 hours if you don’t want to drive it and then check the pressure again. That might isolate the tyrepal sensor as the cause of the problem. Alloy wheels are notorious for going porous.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I had a similar problem it was the metal tyre valve leaking where it seals to the rim. I was able to tighten it as you can tighten them without taking the tyre off.

Could also be the O ring seal on the back of the valve that would mean replacing the valve.

Another possibility is corrosion where the tyre seals to the alloy wheel, if minor can be cured with a sealant tyre fitters use.
I also had a very slow leak from one metal tyre valve. Revealed by a little bit of bubbling when sprayed. Not uncommon according to the tyre fitter.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Alloys look good but eventually corrode round the rim where the tyre seals onto, also round the valve hole causing slow leaks. I had no end of trouble with a car I had, refurbishment stopped it for a couple of years but I ended up replacing the wheels with steel..

The car has been parked up since covid and the tyres are still inflated 😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks everyone.

Couple of answers.

The van was bought new on a 68 plate, so 5 years old.
Can't be the working of the Tyrepal sensors because I have checked the pressure using a gauge.
The valves were all replaced with new metals ones when I had the new tyres fitted. Too much of a coincidence that the same wheel has had two bad valves fitted.
As I said, it can't be a slow puncture on the tyre, or the valve O rings, as they are new. Too much of a coincidence.

Leaving me with:
Porous alloy. What can you do with that?! Is it fixable?
Damaged lip on the alloy, or corrosion. Can't see any damage, but definitely possible.
Tyrepal sensor seals.

Due to the miniscule air loss, I am leaning towards the 'o' rings on the Tyrepal sensor. Easy to replace and easy to check.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks everyone.

Couple of answers.

The van was bought new on a 68 plate, so 5 years old.
Can't be the working of the Tyrepal sensors because I have checked the pressure using a gauge.
The valves were all replaced with new metals ones when I had the new tyres fitted. Too much of a coincidence that the same wheel has had two bad valves fitted.
As I said, it can't be a slow puncture on the tyre, or the valve O rings, as they are new. Too much of a coincidence.

Leaving me with:
Porous alloy. What can you do with that?! Is it fixable?
Damaged lip on the alloy, or corrosion. Can't see any damage, but definitely possible.
Tyrepal sensor seals.

Due to the miniscule air loss, I am leaning towards the 'o' rings on the Tyrepal sensor. Easy to replace and easy to check.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Actually, no, I'm wrong. I first noticed the issue three years ago, before I put the Tyrepal sensors on. So the only constant, is the wheel itself.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
RV had random slow air loss at rear.
All four valves were leaking depending on whether they parked top or bottom. Wife's car had leaking rims due to being parked up and moisture and dirt builds up. All sorted easily but obviously wheels off.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I had a similar problem on a car alloy it was corrosion on the rim. The tyre fitter removed as much corrosion as he could and it's been fine since.

Upvote 0

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Swap the tyrepal sensors from one side to the other and don't forget that you've done it. If the problem moves with the sensor you know where the fault lies.
I have one of my tyrepal sensors that has a very slow leak. I take it off when the van is standing and put a dust cap on.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Do they still do that? I had a slow leak on a mini alloy wheel and suggested to the fitter that a tube could be fitted he said that wasn't allowed anymore
You may or may not be right could be law change or tyre company preferences.I change my own and always have tubes have been used without problem for many years on everything from wheel barrows to heavy haulage so for me I will continue to use when appropriate,perhaps Mr Google will tell state of law

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
You may or may not be right could be law change or tyre company preferences.I change my own and always have tubes have been used without problem for many years on everything from wheel barrows to heavy haulage so for me I will continue to use when appropriate,perhaps Mr Google will tell state of law
Just looked it up...still perfectly legal.
But safety aspect could be used to inflate a critically damaged tyre so most company policy don't use at all...cover rear end in our sue culture society!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just looked it up...still perfectly legal.
But safety aspect could be used to inflate a critically damaged tyre so most company policy don't use at all...cover rear end in our sue culture society!!!
Just for information , if ever fitting tube to t/less tyre , make sure inspection labels are removed from inside cover , and buff the area where they were as the glue residue will perish the tube surprisingly quickly .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back