Very expensive vet at La Fleche (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
This morning, we used the vet at La Fleche to complete our dog's pet passport. I think he must be a very rich man :sick:. We usually use the La Mailleraye vet who charges 15 Euros if you provide your own tablets, but it wasn't convenient this time.
OK, I should have checked before we used the La Fleche vet, so I've only got myself to blame :oops:.
We took along our own Drontal and gave it to the receptionist - then into the vet to do the business. The vet promptly administered his own tablets, then apologised that he hadn't noticed that we had provided some - although our tablets were on his desk and I had heard the receptionist tell him that we had brought them. 'Never mind,' I thought - 'Our Drontal will do for next time'.
Then, back out to the receptionist to pay the bill of 50 Euros :eek:.
Needless to say, we won't be going there again :(.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On the upside La Fleche does have (or did a while ago) a very nice little zoo.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Google maps shows two vets there. The reviews on the one to the west suggest the price there would have been under €20. I guess you went to the other one. :)

For those not familiar with the method, open Google maps and type "veterinaire" or even just "vet" in the search field. Then read the reviews.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@DBK, Clinique Veterinaire des Carmes, Dr Guillaume Fraiman was the one we used.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK, Clinique Veterinaire des Carmes, Dr Guillaume Fraiman was the one we used.
I guessed so. The reviews for that place are very positive but they don't mention price. The reviews on Google for the place a little further west do mention price. It's shown on the screenshot below on the left.

Screenshot_20190430-211459.png

I'm only mentioning this because Google maps are a very useful resource, especially for finding vets. :)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We usually find a vet by either searching on a Garmin gps or by chance spotting one as we drive back from the south. We have often paid around 45€, but never as low as 20€, luck of the draw I guess, but it is nice to get the job ticked off the list.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I remember looking at one online years ago & it stated that for ANY consultation it was 100€ with an appointment & 200€ without !!!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our regular vet in France is less than 20 euros per dog and we don't supply our own tablets They are more expensive in the UK anyway

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Recently had to pay 50 Euros in La Roche but glad to have got it done and cleared a day for a fantastic kayaking trip.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We pay €49 in Honfleur and are happy to do that as it’s convenient for us, oh, and the dog gets the pill in the biggest chunk of cheese ever. Ha ha!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
On the upside La Fleche does have (or did a while ago) a very nice little zoo.:)
The little Zoo as you call it has expended quite a bit and to say it all is very famous in France as a program has been taking place there for a few years now. I was about to say that the said vet being aware of his town reputation has probably decided to put up his prices!
Cheeky him!

https://www.programme-tv.net/programme/culture-infos/r270512-une-saison-au-zoo/videos/

Reactions: JJ
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We usually take our 2 to vets in Germany and have never been charged more than 10 euros for the pair of them, that's with providing our own tablets.

Pete

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The little Zoo as you call it has expended quite a bit and to say it all is very famous in France as a program has been taking place there for a few years now. I was about to say that the said vet being aware of his town reputation has probably decided to put up his prices!
Cheeky him!

https://www.programme-tv.net/programme/culture-infos/r270512-une-saison-au-zoo/videos/
We visited with daughter & friend in the early 1990s and thoroughly enjoyed it - especially the emus stealing crisps (and purses if you weren't careful). One of the better zoos. We stayed on the Camping Municipale by the river in la Fleche.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Each to his own, but that's why vets can get away with charging that sort of price.

That's why I started the Google Map to help other dog owners to try and find Vets who charge a reasonable amount.

I know of owners taking their pets to European Vets and getting a shock when they discover who much they are charged.

One was charged €120 for the visit and another one had to pay €140 to have his two dogs get theres done.

The more help I get from Motorhomers with dogs abroad could help everyone avoid paying too much.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We went to a rural vet's a couple of weeks ago. They were about 10-15 minutes late and the wife had started moaning about the time of the appointment. Out walked a woman with a lead and no dog. Gulped.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
@keithchesterfield2 Keith, did you see my post about being charged €30 for two dogs, own tablets supplied. at La Mailleraye after several years of only paying €15 in total? I've started to think €15 for two has been a mistake over the years. Still very good value IMHO

As a matter of interest we always make an appointment by email there once we know our timings. I usually use Google Translate, but often get a reply in English

Malcolm

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
The Maillaraye Vet speaks good English but the receptionists struggle to understand and that's why there may be discrepancies in the bill and payments.
We meander round France and are never sure where we'll go so we like to find a Vet which is convenient and within the one to five day timescale at the end of the holiday.
Using the map and knowing roughly what we have to pay helps.
We gave up buying tablets because some Vets won't use the ones we provide and will only use the ones they supply - so it always costs us a bit more.
Maillaraye costs us €22 rather than the €15 you pay using your own tablet.

Van Si

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor
Exp
Just over a year
We used the vet yesterday in Pontorson, just south of Mont St Michel having stayed in Beauvoir, without checking the forum map first (tut tut). We got charged €72 for a Springer and Cocker not using our own tablets. The google maps shows 2x Cockers costing €68 in 2013, so not much change there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back