Venting Thetford toilet extractor (1 Viewer)

Sep 13, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi all - looking for some advice. I've been fitting a Thetford extractor fan to the toilet of our van and had assumed I’d have easy access to the outside floor to vent it but no such luck. I’m now thinking of using some flexible pipe connected to a bulkhead fitting though the plastic wheel arch liner and then another section of flex pipe down the liner to stop any water getting in. Is this a stupid idea before I start drilling?

First pic is the view from outside, second is the toilet plinth and third is the view under the vent holes with the black plastic bit to the right being the wheel arch liner.

989A0C8E-6D59-488D-B58A-4022BD842F29.jpeg 2A3A4E1E-0CCA-48FD-9C4E-E8578FD2F6D9.jpeg 041C81E3-5D8A-4BD2-B73B-28152FB1D144.jpeg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Be interesting to know if the 'fumes' from the toilet are heavier or lighter than air. If lighter a roof vent would be more sociable as hopefully go up and disperse into the atsmosphere, if heavier a floor vent may be better. Of course venting heavier than air gasses from the roof would give everyone the pleasure of experiencing your bowel habits as it drifts down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Be interesting to know if the 'fumes' from the toilet are heavier or lighter than air. If lighter a roof vent would be more sociable as hopefully go up and disperse into the atsmosphere, if heavier a floor vent may be better. Of course venting heavier than air gasses from the roof would give everyone the pleasure of experiencing your bowel habits as it drifts down.
With Thetford you have only one choice, it has to go in the floor, at least to start with. It is not like a SOG vent which requires that you drill a hole somewhere into the cassette, instead the Thetford unit uses the existing cassette vent tube which discharges at the bottom of the cassette.

OP
OP
Mikey_748
Sep 13, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Why not in the door
I think there's an issue with the gap between the door and cassette to use a sog type fitting. Will look at this and possible routes to a floor outlet later

OP
OP
Mikey_748
Sep 13, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As it goes out the bottom of the toilet cupboard
I would not run it in wheel arch as water will get in
Is there another way ?

There's a gap between the wheel arch and toilet floor that would allow a flexi pipe to go down then back up into cassette cupboard - problem is finding where to route it then.

Agree re wheel arch - was looking for confirmation that it was a bad idea so thanks 👍

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Our V Line came fitted as standard with the Thetford venting system as did our previous one.
We removed the Thetford filter and the bits in the cassette and fitted a SOG set up as we had had a SOG in all our motor homes for the last ten or so years, it is a set up that works well. The Thetford system is designed in such a way that you must regularly change the filters which is a never decreasing cost, whereas the SOG we have found the filters can be used for years on end by just loosening up the charcole/ or what ever it is, just loosen up with a screwdriver, probably not supposed to do this, but it works.
When we exchanged our V Line 610 for our present 635 we asked our dealer to swop the casette’s door, which has the extractor fan in it and the external filter with the new van’s one ( same colours) and reconnect the wiring. The extractor pipe from the cassette is actually in the filler cap so no other holes to cut.
All our previous motor homes have had the vent pipes venting through the doors and we have never experienced any problems with the installations.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Thetford system is designed in such a way that you must regularly change the filters which is a never decreasing cost,
You don't have to change them. The one in my Hymer is over 5 years old now and still going strong. Just take it out every so often and give it a good shake. I will change it when I can start smelling stuff when I am outside. I have also been told you can just refill them with granulated carbon very cheaply if you are careful.

Both our mohos have used the Thetford system and it works fine for us. I like it mainly because it is easier to to remove and replace the cassette without having to unplug and refit the hose.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I recently modified my SOG to a roof vent and used the Thetford outlet so no pipe to remove. It will OK just with the Thetford fan so you could do it for just the cost of the roof vent and some overflow pipe.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Of course venting heavier than air gasses from the roof would give everyone the pleasure of experiencing your bowel habits as it drifts down.
Had that pleasure? froma dutch vanparked net to us, wokeup after dreaming someone was trying tokil me byoutting sh*t in my mouth, have never knowingly parked next to a sog user since, please make sure you use and change the filter. not good either if the outlet is the same side as you normally sit, have your awning 🤮🤢

Reactions: 68c

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
With Thetford you have only one choice, it has to go in the floor, at least to start with. It is not like a SOG vent which requires that you drill a hole somewhere into the cassette, instead the Thetford unit uses the existing cassette vent tube which discharges at the bottom of the cassette.
Sog doesn’t need drilling into the cassette you just take out the pressure release valve and replace it with the sog elbow

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sog doesn’t need drilling into the cassette you just take out the pressure release valve and replace it with the sog elbow
But how do you seal it when carrying or wheeling and emptying the cassette? Also we have two cassettes now so we can stay longer off grid, and I don't fancy storing the full one in the garage if it is not sealed.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
But how do you seal it when carrying or wheeling and emptying the cassette? Also we have two cassettes now so we can stay longer off grid, and I don't fancy storing the full one in the garage if it is not sealed.
It comes with a stopper that goes over hose connection tube so it’s sealed
we have a storage container thats fixed to the underside of the van

<Broken link removed>

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Perterc10, I did’nt think of that, next time we swop our V Line for, maybe, a V Line Sport Auto/box I will give that a try, as if we change it will be for a different colour.
Thanks for that info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back