Van will not lock! (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
The sliding door is shut firmly. No amount of pulling will open it. The release on the inside does nothing either. It's stuck shut.

This wouldn't be a problem as I could enter via drivers door, however the sliding door is not catching at the bottom left corner.

Therefore "rear doors open" warning message and light are on on the dash. Sometimes it beeps at me too when I'm driving, which isn't at all maddening. 🙈

Because the idiot computer (have I mentioned that I love this modern 💩?) wrongly believes that the sliding door is open pressing the lock button on the key no longer locks the drivers and passenger door. The key also refuses to turn in the driver's door lock. It must be connected to the super computer! 🙄

So I'm stuck with a van with locked back and stuck shut sliding door but drivers cab doors that will not lock at all.

I'm away at the moment and this has just happened. Very wary about leaving the van while I go hiking up a mountain etc with the doors unlocked.

Not too worried about sleeping tonight because I'm in the middle of a deserted pub field. But tomorrow may be an issue.

Any ideas?

As a tempory measure I may buy a chain to fix around the passenger door handle and seat frame. I already have one I fit around the drivers door and steering wheel. This would mean leaving and entering the van via the back door, which also means climbing over the four foot hight double bed at the back. Which isn't easy, isn't ideal in wet walking gear and frankly looks dodgy as you like to passers by.

🙈

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
take the door card off the inside of the sliding door and release the latch. Open the door, clean and lubricate the mechanism and shut the door with a firm push at the back edge. If this still fails to work, clean the contacts on the edge of the door and the pillar

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh and you should be able to lock the drivers door from inside, close passenger door and lock with the key, bypassing central locking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Where is the switch that operates the internal van light for the sliding door? Can you get to it? Remove wire from it, or shove some packing in between it and the door to press it. Then it will think side door is shut.

What van is it?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Sounds like the cable has come away from the door handle mechanism it enters the door at bottom of the sliding door it’s at the passenger door end on most vans.
As The big1 said take of the door card and you should be able to access it.
Let us know how you get on to help others.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
take the door card off the inside of the sliding door and release the latch. Open the door, clean and lubricate the mechanism and shut the door with a firm push at the back edge. If this still fails to work, clean the contacts on the edge of the door and the pillar

While I have the tools with me to do this I don't much fancy getting it wrong so the door doesn't shut. I've decided to leave it until I get home and lock using chains.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
oh and you should be able to lock the drivers door from inside, close passenger door and lock with the key, bypassing central locking

Not sure what you mean by this. Where is the key slot on the inside?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Where is the switch that operates the internal van light for the sliding door? Can you get to it? Remove wire from it, or shove some packing in between it and the door to press it. Then it will think side door is shut.

What van is it?
It's a Peugeot boxer 2013

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Let us know how you get on to help others
Will do when I have a go at it at home. I have the tools with me but don't want to get it wrong or break anything so the sliding door doesn't shut at all. Wouldn't be safe to drive it home.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
The key will not turn inside the drivers door lock.
If you normally lock the van with key fob and not the key the door barrel is probably just stiff try sraying it with lots of penetrating oil and then try gentle turning it with key but don't force it or you risk breaking the key

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
If you normally lock the van with key fob and not the key the door barrel is probably just stiff try sraying it with lots of penetrating oil and then try gentle turning it with key but don't force it or you risk breaking the key

Thanks. Will give it a try.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A quick update.

The key will not turn in the key hole in the drivers door. This is despite soaking it several times in WD40. Any more pressure and I'm scared I'll snap the key.

I discovered the central locking would work if I pressed on the lower right hand corner of the sliding door from the outside as I hit the lock button.

However when I next went out it even this stopped working then. Not even any rapid flashing to let you know it hasn't locked! I assumed the battery had gone in the key. Replaced the battery but still nothing happens. Tried another battery and a whole new key from Amazon and still nothing.

I am currently locking the cab by putting a chain around the two drivers cab doors and a padlock and entering and exiting via the sliding door.

It's turning into a right pain in the ****. I need to get it right because I'm going full time in it my mid September. But I cannot work it out!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you locked it from the inside my whooshbang when the lock is pushed down overrides the zapper lock

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Have you locked it from the inside my whooshbang when the lock is pushed down overrides the zapper lock

Thanks for the reply! :giggle: The lock on the inside (button on the center of the dash) doesn't do anything either. I think this is because I cannot push the button while pushing on the bottom corner of the sliding door? Or perhaps the central locking is knackered?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
No the push down button on the door or is your van too new to have one

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
No the push down button on the door or is your van too new to have one

It's a 2013. I think it may be too new to have one. I cannot see one anyway. All the problems I have had have been related to the electrics or onboard "supercomputer". 💩

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Get some silicone spray and spray anywhere you have sprayed WD40 as WD is not good for any plastic pieces and drys out the metal components thus possibly causing damaging friction. Silicone spray will lubricate and protect.
Sorry can’t help with your door issue though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My apologies for critiizing, but never ever use wd40 on a lock, especially a plastic bodied one. It causes the plasic to swell totally rining the lock an jamming it solid. Only ever use graphite spray or powder

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My apologies for critiizing, but never ever use wd40 on a lock, especially a plastic bodied one. It causes the plasic to swell totally rining the lock an jamming it solid. Only ever use graphite spray or powder

If you know what you're talking about I'd like you to tell me because I'm fairly clueless. So no need to apologise.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Still having no joy fixing this issue.

I've tried packing the sensor, cleaning it and nothing is working.

The beeping is driving me crazy and locking the front doors with a chain through the handles of both doors and exiting via the sliding door is very tiresome!

This is not ideal because I'll be going full time from 27th September!

Anyone got any ideas?

In an ideal world I would just bypass / disconnect the whole warning system. I don't need stupid computers to tell me if a door is open. I have eyes and ears and would feel the draft! Is bypassing the system possible?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
It sounds like you've tried most things that most people would have done, it's a very long shot but I'd disconnect the battery for a while and hope it resets the 'stupid' computer.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It sounds like you've tried most things that most people would have done, it's a very long shot but I'd disconnect the battery for a while and hope it resets the 'stupid' computer.

I've disconnectes the battery and will leave it for a couple of hours. It's worth a try. Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I've disconnectes the battery and will leave it for a couple of hours. It's worth a try. Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.
Be a rebel and connect it back up now, if it doesn't reset now it ain't going to.

Feb 27, 2017
North kent
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2015
The soft close mech on our Citroen relay (2015) PVC were loose and gave identical symptoms, on one of our first trips. Would not lock from any key or button. Simply tightening the Allen key bolts allowed the door to be pulled in adequately to activate the switches/ contacts, our problem solved.

Attachments

• 16320679584383464785327577777406.jpg
    16320679584383464785327577777406.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 20

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
pull the fuse on the warning buzzer, I usuall get out of the whoosh bang door

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
The soft close mech on our Citroen relay (2015) PVC were loose and gave identical symptoms, on one of our first trips. Would not lock from any key or button. Simply tightening the Allen key bolts allowed the door to be pulled in adequately to activate the switches/ contacts, our problem solved.

I don't think my van has one of these. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back