Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
In my 97 Amethyst I have a fitted radio which is 1 1/2DIN rather than the 1DIN or 2 DIN more frequently seen [DIN refers to the size of the slot the radio fits into] It still has a cassette slot!. I got round the problem of no longer having any cassettes by using an adapter and an old MP3 player or one of those FM thingies that use a date stick to transmit music via the radio.

So far so good, but now the unit is starting to play up ; losing stations, skipping tracks etc or simply refusing to either turn on or tune in [it does drop out tho' :) ]

So time for a new unit. Can I find one that's compatible. No. Carphonewarehouse have a 1.5 JVC that will fit, indeed it's advertised as compatible for a 97 Ford Transit, but the plugs are completely different. I could take it and rewire everything, but that is probably beyond me and I'd end up ruining it. Any suggestions? Preferably from someone who has sorted their Amethyst out.

Oh, and I live miles from any qualified auto-electrician so heading out to leeds or Surrey is not an option

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just look for adapters which go between the van plug and the new radio one, I had to use one on my 2012 Boxer when I changed from a 1 din to 2

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
HI, normally you can buy a simple adaptor plug that fits your exiting harness to the new radio harness. many units come with more than one fitting plug.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Tony, If you have posted on the Autosleepers Forum I have replied regarding a similar problem on our Duetto.
If it’s the same problem help from an auto electrician may be you’re next move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back