Van Hired Out - Just come back in bit of a state. Advice? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all. It isn't my van, it's one I've just finished building for a friend. It's him that has rented it out. Just gutted for him and annoyed as I spent a lot of time building it. It was perfect :(

I think I'm suitably put off renting them out myself now..

Looking a little closer, I almost throw up when I saw yellow liquid seeping out from under the rear toilet door - obviously overflowing, but not looked yet. Not just noticed the right rear wheel arch has crashed into something (paint scratched all around the arch).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OK you know best (y)
That's true, I have a digital camera that stores all the picture info but no date at all, nowadays though it would be unlikely to be able to buy a new one without this embedded info.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
People don't understand the fragility of a camper/MH.
Every time I take grandkids in mine they get a lecture no stomping no jumping no slamming doors. This is not your house lol
I tell mine that every time they come to the house!
Yesterday at Beaulieu motor museum.
Right, you mustn't touch the cars.
Don't touch the cars again.
Get out of the bloody car!
I've probably exaggerated but that's what it's like with little ones and shiny things.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks all. It isn't my van, it's one I've just finished building for a friend. It's him that has rented it out. Just gutted for him and annoyed as I spent a lot of time building it. It was perfect :(

I think I'm suitably put off renting them out myself now..

Looking a little closer, I almost throw up when I saw yellow liquid seeping out from under the rear toilet door - obviously overflowing, but not looked yet. Not just noticed the right rear wheel arch has crashed into something (paint scratched all around the arch).
I think most rental companies the loo has to be returned empty & clean or you lose your deposit.

Pleased it wasn't yours, perhaps people will now understand why most of us on here say don't rent it out or lend to family & friends.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Hey All,

I posted a few weeks ago that I had the opportunity to build a few vans to rent out and tag onto a friends new rental business.

Well I finished building his first van for this purpose last week:
View attachment 421092

It was added to a well known rental site and went out this weekend. Its just come back.

It's a state. The van was left on the road overnight around the corner from the business premises, it's covered in dog hair (I mean covered, no mention of dogs being in van), the bathroom door is hanging off and the whole van is vile inside. Actually struggling to work out how it could be so trashed in 3 days :(

Anyway, I could do with a bit of advice with how to proceed. There's obviously a deposit, but is this just normal?

Thanks, David
We have a static we hire out in a Haven site in North Wales. Your situation isn't normal. Keep the deposit and take photo evidence of condition.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Not condoneing it in any way, but I suppose the collosal price that rentals are means people think they can treat them how they like.
I meet with renters of a static we have on the day of arrival and also departure. At least you have an idea at the outset of what they are like! Not had a really bad one yet :cautious: No way on earth would the better half let me rent out the Rv.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The t and c we signed up for renting in N Z was as long as your arm.

Even the outside had to be spotless and so it should be.

There was a massive deposit as security as well.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Hey All,

I posted a few weeks ago that I had the opportunity to build a few vans to rent out and tag onto a friends new rental business.

Well I finished building his first van for this purpose last week:
View attachment 421092

It was added to a well known rental site and went out this weekend. Its just come back.

It's a state. The van was left on the road overnight around the corner from the business premises, it's covered in dog hair (I mean covered, no mention of dogs being in van), the bathroom door is hanging off and the whole van is vile inside. Actually struggling to work out how it could be so trashed in 3 days :(

Anyway, I could do with a bit of advice with how to proceed. There's obviously a deposit, but is this just normal?

Thanks, David
Don’t return the deposit, photograph everything as proof

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It's called EXIF data and looks like this with a map showing where it was took :Eeek:

View attachment 421113

Still not foolproof.
1598962734009.png

IslandApe

Free Member
Jun 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Net yet!
Exp
Next year I hope

Beat me to it.

A better approach is to take the pictures and then email them - one copy to the renter and another to a third party account. This gives you a time and date stamp and is a lot harder to argue against. Alternatively, some of the cloud storage sites timestamp when files are uploaded.

Whether either would stand up in court if it came to it is another matter.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
As as been mentioned before, we hired from "Just Go" before making the decision to purchase our own MH. Purley coincidental my brother, a retired lawyer took me across to Luton to collect the hire MH on the Saturday, I couldn't believe the amount of as admin involved including their intensive T&C with particular attention conditions of return of the Venice at the end of the hire period. My brother who also gave a clance of the T&C's advised me to pay for insurance waiver. When voicing my disbelief at their T&C's my brother complimented Just Go saying "no one who took the time to read them would have reason to complain"

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I regret to say quite the norm, you will not like this however consider yourself lucky, one was left at Calais and took a year to recover due to the penalty charges etc.
Some even hire for UK use with breakdown cover and go to Europe, breakdown or have an accident no security deposit will cover
I wish it were not the case

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Not surprised, was in a Motorhome dealers in Spain who rented vans, a Spanish family, with three kids were in to collect their rental, whilst the dealer was giving the parents the grand tour the kids were all over the van, climbing in and out of windows switching indicators and lights on/off etc; a troop of Barbary Apes would not have caused as much mayhem, and that was before the holiday started.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
in london we now have car sharing schemes the cars are left in the street and anyone who has subscribed can use the car when you pick it up you have to do a video walk round and an interior video and again when you drop it off your credit card is charged for any damage
That's exactly what should happen with the van rental 👍 I have no doubt the renter does not expect his/ her deposit back .Just hope it covers the damage. Perhaps add to terms/ conditions that the renter's card will be charged if damage is not covered by deposit 😉

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I would hope that the D is at least £1500 to 2000 even for a 3 day hire.

Not 100%, but think he said it was £1k. On top of that there was no hand back as van was dumped on the road with keys posted through door, and when he called the hire company he hadn't noticed half the problems, so unlikely he will get anywhere near the £1k I think.

It kind of got worse all day, with more things noticed. Mainly because neither of us could walk into the van without reaching earlier. Thankfully, Claira has a stronger stomach than us and has been cleaning the hell out of it for hours, and after finding a few more delights (a brand new duvet soaked through with coffee, blood and urine all over, fore instance), is getting somewhere.

Tomorrow I'll fix the bathroom door etc and have a crack at the bodywork. Hopefully we'll get it back to how it was in a few days.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am not surprised in the slightest given some of the houses I have seen at work and how people live. It doesn’t take more than a few days for it to turn into a mess so bad you wonder how they managed it.

Some people have no idea of personal hygiene and if they have bad hygiene before they pick it up, it won’t improve when they have dropped it off.

If you are willing to hire vans, you will have to accept that some people are disgusting with bad hygiene. I could go on but I have stories that would make your stomach churn.

Hope you get it sorted, everything can be cleaned and repaired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back