Van conversions manufacturers? A bit of a head scratcher! (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi,
After a bit of uncertainty, I've decided to focus my search on factory built van conversions. Something with low milage, early to mid 00s, quality build, 2 or 4 berth, with a suitable layout and from 12000 to 17000 thousand ballpark.
i understand the base vehicle is very important as well as checking for rust and all else but I'm a bit stumped about which models are considered prestige, average, not so great......in comparison to cars....lets say a merc is prestige, toyato normal and lada not so great!
I've been researching using Haynes motorcaravan manual and they list the following makes:
UK
Autocruise
autosleeper
devon conversions
east neuk
ihmotor campers
murvi
romahome
timberland
swift

and imported:
adria
laika
trigano and
la strada

Would love to hear your thoughts on which are the cream of the crop generally speaking. i'm a novise.....and its pretty difficult to find comparisons online. Base vehicle is easier to research (lots of review sites) but not making much progress on the different makes. Would be great to hear your experiences and recommendations. Many thanks :)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Autosleeper Kingham on a Peugeot Boxer. Love it to bits, most comfortable fixed bed. Storage so varied and well thought out. Only real down is the microwave, just unnecessary and weak mountings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Autosleeper Kingham on a Peugeot Boxer. Love it to bits, most comfortable fixed bed. Storage so varied and well thought out. Only real down is the microwave, just unnecessary and weak mountings.
Just looked them up....they are stunning and the bed at the back is such a bonus! But unfortunately they are too new for my budget :( But on the up side, in 10 years time....there will be some nice used models out there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Laika but I don't think you will find one ..

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Westfalia & La Strada are usually considered top quality with a price to match.
Lots of us on here love our Globecars as they are well built & designed at a reasonable price especially if you are considering importing. Worth looking on Broken Link Removed for Possl (same as Globecar), Clever & Roadcar too.
Can't advise on UK makes but lots of Funsters who can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Whys that? Perhap they were not made back then?

laika-1964-laika-500.jpg

I think you are correct. We saw one last year and the owners told us that it was made by Hymer in the Hymer Factory. Looked very nice but not very old. Laika do make some really fabulous MH's.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Old 2 berth PVCs with front lounge layout from Autosleeper are plentiful. Duetto (Ford) and Symbol (Fiat). Also Tribute, and Timberland. At a stretch an early Van Win from Adria (predecessor to the Adria Twin).

4 berths is going to be a difficult box to tick for a PVC especially in that age/price bracket. Layouts in a Fiat Ducato that include 2 bunk beds or separate double roof bed are still a bit of a novelty from UK converters. Some German converters e.g. Concord have been offering 4 berth PVCs for many years, so you could import an older one, with LHD.

Some PVCs like mine have an optional 3rd bed. That 3rd bed is fiddly to set up, using extra cushions and supports that take up precious storage space. Not very practical and really only suitable for occasional use. We have never used ours and the bits are stored at home.

It is easier to find older VW T4 and T5 conversions with 4 berths using a double bed in the elevating roof or high top. But no separate washroom compartment.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back