Using the van in the U.K. for New Year (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We've always fancied going away somewhere in the van for New Years Eve and a couple of days beforehand but in reality is it a good experience, do many of you funsters go away over Christmas and New Year? If so where do you head off to?
Dave

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Not done it previously but having been married for 27 years in a couple of weeks time, we have entertained family at Christmas in some guise or another for every one. I missed one, being in Iraq at the time but Lorri cooked for the tribe that year, and one we went for Christmas Day to our daughters but we entertained on Christmas Eve and Boxing day. These normally see me constantly in the kitchen for 2/3 days and Lorri playing hostess.
So this year we have made the decision after having a house full last year to just get away from it all.
We've decided to book on to a C&CC site (Conkers) so there will be walks all round us with the dogs, book into the bistro down the road for Christmas Eve and generally just relax with nobody else around and please ourselves.
Lorri is originally from Long Eaton, Notts so we may get out and see some of her old mates but it really will just be a play it by ear time.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We've always fancied going away somewhere in the van for New Years Eve and a couple of days beforehand but in reality is it a good experience, do many of you funsters go away over Christmas and New Year? If so where do you head off to?
Dave
We are hoping further afield if my treatment has all finished!!!(i.e. Spain !! Daughters will have to fly out!!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We are hoping further afield if my treatment has all finished!!!(i.e. Spain !! Daughters will have to fly out!!)

That would be great Anthea and well deserved! I really hope that comes to fruition (y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That would be great Anthea and well deserved! I really hope that comes to fruition (y)
Thankyou David!
Hope you find an alternate place to celebrate Christmas and new year , we always have a small tree and bunting in the van when away in the tinsel season!!

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We went for Christmas at Keswick and new year at Moffat last year enjoyed it

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Always fancied being away Christmas/New Year as SWMBO thinks it's her duty to invite and feed the family.
I'd rather just take her somewhere and let someone else do the cooking and cleaning up.

One day maybe :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Parked up for Christmas on a pub carpark in Norfolk one year, not too noisy, I think £10 per night with £5 per night refund to use in the bar/ restaurant (so 5-course Xmas dinner was in effect free), and included free use of gym & indoor pool. 5 mins walk to the beach. Loved it.

@colyboy has a NY plan:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Parked up for Christmas on a pub carpark in Norfolk one year, not too noisy, I think £10 per night with £5 per night refund to use in the bar/ restaurant (so 5-course Xmas dinner was in effect free), and included free use of gym & indoor pool. 5 mins walk to the beach. Loved it.

@colyboy has a NY plan:
What's the name of the pub or is it a secret?!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never done Xmas as considered family time, but New Year is great, alternate years between home and away, we did Sandringham on our own first time and another at Longleat (have a light festival) with some friends enjoyed both does depend on what you want and the weather. There are lots of places still open although you often have to book early, always surprised at the some of the places that close up but suppose it is not worth it for the rest of the time.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We have Christmas at home then tend to go away for new year...Last new year was Edinburgh at Mortonhall campsite. This year not made up our minds yet , but had a bit of a recce for some possibles a few weeks ago . Moffat area is a maybe for the coming new year period.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We tried the Red Funnel ferries Isle of Wight deal a few years ago. Ferry and 5 nights camping for £131, makes a nice change of scenery. We stayed at Waverley Park campsite which was fine and only 5 minutes from the port.

Paul

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thankyou David!
Hope you find an alternate place to celebrate Christmas and new year , we always have a small tree and bunting in the van when away in the tinsel season!!

I can imagine there was purple somewhere along the way as well :D

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

@colyboy has a NY plan:

Unfortunately the one in Looe is full Wendy, the pub sounds good though

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What's the name of the pub or is it a secret?!

Unfortunately the one in Looe is full Wendy, the pub sounds good though
Couldn't remember the name so had to look it up.
http://www.oldhallhotelcaister.co.uk/
It doesn't mention overnighting on the website, could be worth phoning to see if they still do it. (They had EHU for 3, parking for 5 but there were 7 of us there at one point). Very friendly, very aware of m/h needs. Gym/pool/spa etc excellent. Easy to get bus/train to Yarmouth, Norwich etc. That was xmas 2015.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We did Blackpool and Southport over Christmas and New Year and are going to Foyers on Loch Ness this year. Hopefully we will get snowed in for a week or two. ;):D

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Couldn't remember the name so had to look it up.
http://www.oldhallhotelcaister.co.uk/
It doesn't mention overnighting on the website, could be worth phoning to see if they still do it. (They had EHU for 3, parking for 5 but there were 7 of us there at one point). Very friendly, very aware of m/h needs. Gym/pool/spa etc excellent. Easy to get bus/train to Yarmouth, Norwich etc. That was xmas 2015.

Just had a reply from them, they've stopped allowing motorhomes to stay now unfortunately

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've been going to Moffat over new year for the past 4 years . Great pubs and walks for the dog .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If I'm not working we tend to head off for a few days either in the van or somewhere further afield, last year we did New York for a week and had a great time. This year we'll more than likely be parked up in a forest somewhere.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just had a reply from them, they've stopped allowing motorhomes to stay now unfortunately
Oh that's a shame, it was such a great package.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We go away every year (last 7yrs) for New Year with our friends, usually Lady Margrate nr chirk CC also been to Carsington Water as well
This year going to a new lovely site nr Lancaster we found recently which was cheap, hardstanding, lovely walks for the dog, close to a cycle path/walk, and the Estuary.
Brand new shower block with underfloor heating so no more cold showers
Always spend Christmas at home with family

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
That sounds brilliant Anthea, we can have a mini meet !!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
We took the grandson to the CMC site at longleat for the New Year. Great fun with the Festival of Lights and fireworks on New Year’s Eve; we would do it with or without the grandchildren(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh no, we've booked our site in Spain without knowing this. Might change plans knowing your going there, I'll check on Outer Mongolia that might be far enough away from you Yorkie Bird. :rolleyes:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We found one in Cornwall Carvynick Country Club sounded really nice. Website shows a pool and other facilities and you got the impression that is was included in the price. It was £80 for 3 nights. When I rang to book I was told I would have to pay in full as it was less than 8 weeks till we arrived. I paid and the recept arrived in the post a couple of days later. Receipt said swimming during PUBLIC SWIMMING TIMES. So I rang to ask what the times were only to be told that there were no Public Swimming Times and you had to pay EXTRA to use the facilities so I asked for my money back. They refused and SWMBO got a load of abuse from the owner and he then stated we would have to deal with his legal team and put the phone down. Having paid by card I asked the card company for my money back stating that we had been seriously misled by the website. Loads of emails later I got my refund from card company. I then had a call from the Country Club asking why I had
cancelled the card transaction.

Friend had also booked but only paid £15 a night because a group was going. The MH parking is at the sides of the road upto the Country Club and Golf Course both of which were very busy. Lots of cars passing by until late at night. She had asked about walking her dog and was told there was plenty of space and you could also walk by the golf course. Only problem was the Golf Club were not happy about that and so nowhere to walk the dog. Because of the noisy etc she left after 3 days.

Last edited:

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We did new year in Edinburgh , really good and not too expensive, Christmas with family this year but the ferrys already booked for the 28th Dec, spain/ morroco here we come

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have been to Sandringham for a couple of years, both Club sites, and had a very good time, trimmed up the van, small Xmas tree, full Xmas dinner and all the trimmings, didn't bother to go and see the Queen, well, she never comes and see us !............:whistle:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We found one in Cornwall Carvynick Country Club sounded really nice. Website shows a pool and other facilities and you got the impression that is was included in the price. It was £80 for 3 nights. When I rang to book I was told I would have to pay in full as it was less than 8 weeks till we arrived. I paid and the recept arrived in the post a couple of days later. Receipt said swimming during PUBLIC SWIMMING TIMES. So I rang to ask what the times were only to be told that there were no Public Swimming Times and you had to pay EXTRA to use the facilities so I asked for my money back. They refused and SWMBO got a load of abuse from the owner and he then stated we would have to deal with his legal team and put the phone down. Having paid by card I asked the card company for my money back stating that we had been seriously misled by the website. Loads of emails later I got my refund from card company. I then had a call from the Country Club asking why I had
cancelled the card transaction.

Friend had also booked but only paid £15 a night because a group was going. The MH parking is at the sides of the road upto the Country Club and Golf Course both of which were very busy. Lots of cars passing by until late at night. She had asked about walking her dog and was told there was plenty of space and you could also walk by the golf course. Only problem was the Golf Club were not happy about that and so nowhere to walk the dog. Because of the noisy etc she left after 3 days.

Definitely sounds like one to avoid, what a nightmare!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Not done it previously but having been married for 27 years in a couple of weeks time, we have entertained family at Christmas in some guise or another for every one. I missed one, being in Iraq at the time but Lorri cooked for the tribe that year, and one we went for Christmas Day to our daughters but we entertained on Christmas Eve and Boxing day. These normally see me constantly in the kitchen for 2/3 days and Lorri playing hostess.
So this year we have made the decision after having a house full last year to just get away from it all.
We've decided to book on to a C&CC site (Conkers) so there will be walks all round us with the dogs, book into the bistro down the road for Christmas Eve and generally just relax with nobody else around and please ourselves.
Lorri is originally from Long Eaton, Notts so we may get out and see some of her old mates but it really will just be a play it by ear time.
I could have written that myself (except for Iraq bit and not being married to Lorri). We went away with the dog Last New Year. The weather wasn't great but we were snug and there was a pub close by.

Reactions: adt

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We have also been looking for a few days from 26/12 and possibly over new year. Surprisingly cannot find any rallies on eithet.
Do any sites put anything on or is it just DIY.
And were is Moffat, what sites are there?
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back