Using Starlink for the first time (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had it months and not used it, bought it with me to the Malvern Show this weekend so as not to miss the Rugby. Really easy setup. Using it now, plenty of speed and no noticeable lag. Need to sort out how to secure it though , because if its windy on match day it will fly of that trailer roof!
image.jpg

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
The base is quite heavy . Ours hasn’t moved in strong winds but probably better safe than sorry .

Reactions: Jim

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
One of ours is set up in France temporarily and we can have three TV's on streaming at the same time with no issues, aswell as a couple of iPads, phones and laptops - works without a glitch

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We used it at home until we got fibre to the house.
Found it vastly superior to old copper wires, not nearly as good as fibre.

What‘s the current monthly cost? … I still have my dish and wondered about using it for travelling

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We used it at home until we got fibre to the house.
Found it vastly superior to old copper wires, not nearly as good as fibre.

What‘s the current monthly cost? … I still have my dish and wondered about using it for travelling
Roam subscription is £85 monthly for use anywhere in the European continent including UK. 30 day contract based on your original subscription dates. Dates will show when you tap to change plan. I've just paid £58 to roam until 8 September my renewal date. Once you've paid for Roam you can cancel auto renew immediately if you only want a short period. https://www.starlink.com/
Static sub is £75 per month.
Not nearly as good as fibre? You must have amazing fibre speeds because Starlink is usually faster than any domestic fibre service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Not nearly as good as fibre? You must have amazing fibre speeds because Starlink is usually faster than any domestic fibre service.
Yeah, we were surprised. Speed checks are great, latency checks show a very short latency. But actual loading of websites - we find fibre way faster. We ran both for a while to compare - the whole family prefer Airband fibre.
Thanks for the info.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Yeah, we were surprised. Speed checks are great, latency checks show a very short latency. But actual loading of websites - we find fibre way faster. We ran both for a while to compare - the whole family prefer Airband fibre.
Thanks for the info.
Airband fibre not exactly portable between countries though? Starlink is excellent and does as it says! Not 16gig though eh!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I finally managed to get mine fixed to the roof yesterday, all tested and working as expected. In the end i didn't sikaflex the antenna i made as i made it so it's like the original with a pipe that goes through the center so i am thinking that its going to take a lot of water build up to go over the 30mm but i will keep an eye on it as if so i will just sikaflex it, the water should just go over the side like it does today before it builds up. (i may just sikaflex it anyway as that way it's done but it makes it easier to get to if i need to at the moment)
Here's some pics but all in all it work's with the original router on 230v as it should

1692604083946.png

1692604153776.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Fibre to the home is faster than Starlink

Fibre to the home and depending on service contracted for, but fibre to the home is faster

300-1000 Mbps

Fibre to the cabinet and copper to the home varies I am getting 52Mbps

Starlink’s UK Broadband Speeds

Q2 2021

Download 108.30Mbps

Upload 15.64Mbps

Latency 37ms (lower figures are faster)

Q3 2021

Download 111.66Mbps

Upload 16.02Mbps

Latency 37ms (lower figures are faster)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm currently contracting for a cable comms company. Developing the tech that'll allow them to squeeze 10Gb from an old coax connection. Virgin Media cable can already do 2.5Gb when they choose to switch it on. But in many places they're looking to install fibre to the premises, the same as Open Reach. Fttx will do 10Gb with existing kit when they choose to enable it, and much faster with upgrades.

The problem is... their research shows that there's very little demand for it. UHD 4k video needs about 30Mb. Working from home to use Zoom and email needs less than 10Mb. Most people wouldn't notice if you throttled their connection to 50Mb. The only common use seems to be things like humongous game downloads. The predicted ever increasing demand for bandwidth is really slowing. Unless home Virtual Reality happens, there aren't that many use cases.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have FTTP (fibre to the premises) at home which is 900mb down and 110mb up and that is way faster than starlink that's for sure but saying that if out and about in the motorhome and i can get 50-150mb stable and unlimited then that's going to be more than enough to stream whatever you want. For me it's about simplicity more than anything else, i didn't want to mess about getting a dish out and running cables but i do get why people also do not want to cut into their dishy as it can be quite daunting. All in all it worked out ok though and now i can use it when stopped on the invertor when no EHU. Of course there is still the issue of that it needs to be able to see the sky so its not all plain sailing. There are going to be times when the Mifi and roof antenna are going to work better than the Starlink but that's ok as i have both.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Roam subscription is £85 monthly for use anywhere in the European continent including UK. 30 day contract based on your original subscription dates. Dates will show when you tap to change plan. I've just paid £58 to roam until 8 September my renewal date. Once you've paid for Roam you can cancel auto renew immediately if you only want a short period. https://www.starlink.com/
Static sub is £75 per month.
Is the subscription per calender month or can you stop start on specific dates eg 21 Aug - 20 Sept?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Stephen Langtoftlad this is what we were talking about 👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm currently contracting for a cable comms company. Developing the tech that'll allow them to squeeze 10Gb from an old coax connection. Virgin Media cable can already do 2.5Gb when they choose to switch it on. But in many places they're looking to install fibre to the premises, the same as Open Reach. Fttx will do 10Gb with existing kit when they choose to enable it, and much faster with upgrades.

The problem is... their research shows that there's very little demand for it. UHD 4k video needs about 30Mb. Working from home to use Zoom and email needs less than 10Mb. Most people wouldn't notice if you throttled their connection to 50Mb. The only common use seems to be things like humongous game downloads. The predicted ever increasing demand for bandwidth is really slowing. Unless home Virtual Reality happens, there aren't that many use cases.
spot on, both my wife and I use Zoom (we can both be on line in conference at the same time emails and other tech stuff but unless its large files which tend to just upload /download by themselves whilst I have a coffee or doing other stuff .50Mbs is fine...also its about the server the other end one storage platform I use takes a while to upload and down load another storage provider does the same size file in half the time. So I do wonder sometimes when people get out of their tree and say they 'need' much more bandwidth........maybe they do maybe they dont.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
spot on, both my wife and I use Zoom (we can both be on line in conference at the same time emails and other tech stuff but unless its large files which tend to just upload /download by themselves whilst I have a coffee or doing other stuff .50Mbs is fine...also its about the server the other end one storage platform I use takes a while to upload and down load another storage provider does the same size file in half the time. So I do wonder sometimes when people get out of their tree and say they 'need' much more bandwidth........maybe they do maybe they dont.
I've had a ropey mobile connection that only gave me 8mbps down and 2mpbs up and I still managed to hold Teams calls. Wasn't ideal, but it worked.

If you've only got a small TV in the van and you don't want to eat all your monthly allowance in a few hours, it's probably enough to set your telly stream to 720p. Which also only needs less than 8mbps.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've had a ropey mobile connection that only gave me 8mbps down and 2mpbs up and I still managed to hold Teams calls. Wasn't ideal, but it worked.

If you've only got a small TV in the van and you don't want to eat all your monthly allowance in a few hours, it's probably enough to set your telly stream to 720p. Which also only needs less than 8mbps.
Yup there are ways of not using so much data, sometimes I down load films I may want to watch or programs from iplayer take some DVD's old fashioned free to air TV, I dont want to give the tech companies all my money, Star link looks fairly expensive if someone has a need for it then fine.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Is the subscription per calender month or can you stop start on specific dates eg 21 Aug - 20 Sept?
Yes it is the cost per month but the month runs from the date your subscription starts. This may mean that your choice of dates runs through two subscription months.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I have two star links one in the caravan and the other at home, the caravan one is just on its stand on the roof and don’t move one inch even in high winds.

Jim I have a Starlink pipe adaptor here sat in its box if that’s helpful to you.

IMG_0033.jpeg

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim I have a Starlink pipe adaptor here sat in its box if that’s helpful to you.

Sorry only just seen this. I've no use for the pole. I've sikaflexed 4 small bolts to the top of my van so I just pop it up there and secure it with wingnuts. Works really well (y)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Good to know how easy it will be to get off.
Do you keep your wolf locked up at night.
:ROFLMAO:

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Good to know how easy it will be to get off.
Do you keep your wolf locked up at night.
:ROFLMAO:
Nobody is going to steal Starlink kit because the dish and router are registered to you. Ownership can only be transferred by you to the new owner. A good security feature.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Nobody is going to steal Starlink kit because the dish and router are registered to you. Ownership can only be transferred by you to the new owner. A good security feature.
Like an iPhone? 🤔

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thieves are idiots who will steal anything that is not locked down and worry about damage, making money off it later. Starlink looks expensive so it will get nicked. They will only find out later it is worth nothing and dump it at the side of the road.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry only just seen this. I've no use for the pole. I've sikaflexed 4 small bolts to the top of my van so I just pop it up there and secure it with wingnuts. Works really well (y)
Thought you said you had no space on the roof :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back