Using data in Europe (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have just returned from 6 weeks away in Europe and we very quickly used my 20GB data watching TV. since being home I have researched various providers and found most of their "fair use policies" to be vague at best.
As my son works for Sky and I know his data rolls over, I thought I would make the enquiry. (He can get us a friends and family discount too ??) I spoke to sales and they told me that, using a Sky mobile, the use of the SkyGo app is free and does not come off your data allowance. I asked if this included Europe and she assured me it does. So, to my mind, the only time I would use data is on BBC iplayer.
Does anybody use a Sky mobile abroad and can confirm this to be true? I don't trust sales reps :rolleyes:

TIA
John

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've heard this as well, however, in practice I think it can be problematic.

You would have to watch SkyGo via the app, however the adverts you are shown consume data and come out of your data allowance. You need to have 50MB remaining for the streaming bit to work. Sky also uses O2, which has potentially a severe traffic management policy when roaming.

20GB represents 20-40 hours of TV, so you might want to look to reduce the quality down on the stream that you are watching and make sure that there are not any background applications consuming your data allowance.

You could get 50GB of data with Vodafone (Mobile Broadband though, so you'd need a MiFi) so this might be a better option.

If you go down the Sky route, do post up as it's usually information but not something I'd want to risk advocating just yet until there is more feedback.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
If you go down the Sky route, do post up as it's usually information but not something I'd want to risk advocating just yet until there is more feedback.
We have both now gone down the Sky route and our data will roll over as we rarely use it when at home. We aren't away now until Feb but will let you know how it goes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
There is another alternative... don't be a slave to the satellite (TV,), yes take some cd's, films on a memory stick for the colder evenings if you want the evening to pass. We've travelled over the last four years + and have never watched TV as such. Books, board/card games or cd's have been more than adequate if we have a quiet night or it's too cold or wet or remote to go walkabout. I often watch motorhomers pull up on site and frantically scanning the airwaves desperate for a signal before doing anything .. even moving the van around the site.... ?

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
There is another alternative... don't be a slave to the satellite (TV,), yes take some cd's, films on a memory stick for the colder evenings if you want the evening to pass. We've travelled over the last four years + and have never watched TV as such. Books, board/card games or cd's have been more than adequate if we have a quiet night or it's too cold or wet or remote to go walkabout. I often watch motorhomers pull up on site and frantically scanning the airwaves desperate for a signal before doing anything .. even moving the van around the site.... ?
I completely agree with you and, for myself, wouldn't watch TV at all when we are away. Unfortunately, I have a wife (who doesn't read this forum ?) that loves soaps. They drive me mad ?
However, there are certain benefits in keeping her happy ?

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have used Sky Go fine abroad no data used
Only issue you cant mirror from phone to tv
Adverts etc don't use data
As you've worked out you cant use it for BBC
You need to use it at least once when back in the UK to show system you are not pertinently abroad
We had a reminder about a month after we got home

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You can use your phone as a hotspot and tether to laptop or iPad though.

I think it's here where the waters muddy as far as the way in Sky explains this.

The 'Sky Mobile' site is fairly specific in stating it is the Sky Mobile 'Apps' that can be used abroad without using your data. The apps have a restriction to prevent the output from being displayed on a TV via the easier means of doing so, I'm sure there is a workaround. The apps also use a much lower quality data stream than the laptop site: Broken Link Removed

The 'Sky Go' apps themselves can be used abroad (including the laptop / website version) for up to 37 days unless someone uses the same account in the UK during this period, effectively resetting the counter back to 0. But it is only the mobile apps that count as not using your data.

So using the laptop version will use your data, only the apps on a phone or tablet are able to benefit from not consuming data.

I've had unconfirmed reports of people successfully side-loading the SkyGo app onto an Amazon Firestick and being able to stream without using any data in Europe, but again this is something more people need to confirm as being possible before it is something that I personally can endorse - as much as I'd like to.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
I think it's here where the waters muddy as far as the way in Sky explains this.

The 'Sky Mobile' site is fairly specific in stating it is the Sky Mobile 'Apps' that can be used abroad without using your data. The apps have a restriction to prevent the output from being displayed on a TV via the easier means of doing so, I'm sure there is a workaround. The apps also use a much lower quality data stream than the laptop site: Broken Link Removed

The 'Sky Go' apps themselves can be used abroad (including the laptop / website version) for up to 37 days unless someone uses the same account in the UK during this period, effectively resetting the counter back to 0. But it is only the mobile apps that count as not using your data.

So using the laptop version will use your data, only the apps on a phone or tablet are able to benefit from not consuming data.

I've had unconfirmed reports of people successfully side-loading the SkyGo app onto an Amazon Firestick and being able to stream without using any data in Europe, but again this is something more people need to confirm as being possible before it is something that I personally can endorse - as much as I'd like to.
Ah yes, that makes sense. The SkyGo app is not available for the Macbook so need to use the website you quoted. My good lady will be quite happy watching on the iPad. ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back