Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Ok, I've now done some checks, there is no leaks whatsoever, I drained all the oil to replace with the correct grade as last night I put in 5/40 when it should be 5/30. it appears it may of been low on oil last night so the correct level is in there now, however I can't see why the transmission light would come on because of this. The only thing I can think of is that it got hot whilst going up and down the north Devon hills (which would concern me) but the temp gauge was ok.

I gave it a good run this afternoon and it's running fine and I cannot get the transmission light to come on......(n)
It looks like I do have the "fiat cluster problem" as I can see the oil and glow plug lights on, they are very dim but there...! And when I turn the cruise control on it lights up a few others....

I am in the process of getting it to my nearest fiat dealer and getting on the diagnostics to see what comes up and clear fault codes, then I'm going to beat them up for a new light cluster or at least a repair for gratis....:confused:

Thanks for all your help... and I'll keep you up with progress...(y)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Thanks for the up-date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Smith and Sharp
Ensure that the FIAT Professional garage, (commercial vehicle section) acknowledges that the cluster is a "common fault".

They ought to replace it foc or, at the very least, at a reduced rate. A search on the Forum will show that many of us have had the same fault. I am aware that some garages have tried to pass it off with " never had that before".

Oh yes they have. There are more than enough posts on here to prove the point.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Back to the drawing board....!! After trying to make it come on this afternoon it doesn't.... go out for a little ride an hour ago and it comes on after five mins...(n) turn off and good for another five minutes, then comes on just sitting there in neutral after 30 seconds....

Will try and get it into fiat tomorrow....:unsure:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Smith and Sharp
Because the problem is caused by poor quality components and possible corrosion on terminals the fault can be intermittent.

Nevertheless, FIAT will be fully aware of it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Smith and Sharp

Garry you must be pulling you're hair out, these things are sent to try us but I have no doubt you'll get it sorted.

Go give Fiat some grief (y)

Regards Rich

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Back to the drawing board....!! After trying to make it come on this afternoon it doesn't.... go out for a little ride an hour ago and it comes on after five mins...(n) turn off and good for another five minutes, then comes on just sitting there in neutral after 30 seconds....

Will try and get it into fiat tomorrow....:unsure:

How much oil did you have to put in to bring it up to the line on the dip stick?

Maybe at last service they put just not quite enough in ?

Has the previous owner had any issues ?

Sorry if I told you the wrong oil grade - Google doesn't always give us the correct info - was only trying to be helpful.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How much oil did you have to put in to bring it up to the line on the dip stick?

Maybe at last service they put just not quite enough in ?

Has the previous owner had any issues ?

Sorry if I told you the wrong oil grade - Google doesn't always give us the correct info - was only trying to be helpful.

At the time Robert I just needed someone to reply.... you were close enough (disqualified, you were over!!!!!) and I'm sure it wouldn't have done any harm for 50-60 miles :cautious:

In a service station on Okehampton moor, dark, foggy and raining and your pride and joy is not working properly you despair...:confused: and then when you need the loo and catch your other pride and joy in the zipper....:eek: then your not in the best of moods.....:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... I can feel another forum name change coming on ... Zippy and Bungle ....:D2

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At the time Robert I just needed someone to reply.... you were close enough (disqualified, you were over!!!!!) and I'm sure it wouldn't have done any harm for 50-60 miles :cautious:

In a service station on Okehampton moor, dark, foggy and raining and your pride and joy is not working properly you despair...:confused: and then when you need the loo and catch your other pride and joy in the zipper....:eek: then your not in the best of moods.....:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::rofl:
If it had NO oil 50 yards would have been enough, but I presume from other posts it did have some in , just not showing on the stick, which would have been ok.(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just a thought that maybe it did have oil in but it was so clear you couldn't see it ? My last car was like that. It was a nigtmare to see the level when the oil had been changed & was like that for hundreds of kms.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could be a good shout. Our Ducato dipstick is virtually impossible to read when fresh oil in.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think its all a front, he seemed quite pleased when i paid for the Rapido :D
That was because you were giving him money, five minutes later he would have been back to his grumpy self. :whistle::LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Fresh oil in a diesel will blacken within a few miles :)

True it usually does, but my Car took 000's of kms from an oil change to darken . Bloke I used to work with used to change oil so regularly it looked like Golden syrup when it came out.:D2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
@richr If you are asking about my friend. He purchased a new works van & changed the oil probably every 3 weeks. Weekends between work was spent polishing it.:D
& yes , the oil came out as it went in. Where we worked supplied the oil foc . probably the reason it got changed so often.:LOL: It wasn't as though the van did many miles ,probably 350/week. Whereas I often did 200/day.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just to update the fiat garage phoned me yesterday and said their diagnostics machine had died so I'm rescheduled for next Wednesday...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just to update the fiat garage phoned me yesterday and said their diagnostics machine had died so I'm rescheduled for next Wednesday...
Bloody hell Garry, it just goes on and on mate. :mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back