Update Google Chrome immediately. There is a bug that is being actively exploited to hijack peoples computers. (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you Gromett - done now & shared (y)

In case anyone doesn't know how to update Chrome (I had to to ask) then click on the three dots in top right of screen, then Settings, then About Chrome on left which should bring up details of your version & option to Update then don't forget to click Relaunch at the end of that.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
In case anyone doesn't know how to update Chrome (I had to to ask) then click on the three dots in top right of screen, then Settings, then About Chrome on left which should bring up details of your version & option to Update then don't forget to click Relaunch at the end of
I don't get any option to update, just -
App version
Operating system
Legal info
Nowhere an option to update ??
Android 7.0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
go to help -> about google chrome

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I don't get any option to update, just -
App version
Operating system
Legal info
Nowhere an option to update ??
Android 7.0
Don't think the update is needed for Android but sure Gromett will advise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Thank you.jpg
Gromett

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Those were options in About Chrome
When using an Android device understand that Chrome should automatically update if using it so you should be fine.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For Android it is updated by the play store. On linux it is done in package manager.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I tend to stay away from tracking companies such as Google they are very data hungry. Firefox and duck duck go seems to give me evrery thing I need and use apple products as well. None of this is perfect but it’s better than giving google everything.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I don't normally use Chrome but it is installed. Opened it, went onto the About Chrome tab and it updated without me doing anything else.

Thanks for the tip-off guys.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You can delete it and reinstall with the latest app

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Can you enlighten me as to where your information of "a bug" came from?
Screenshot_20191102-190546.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Knowing Karl's background, there is every chance it came from an inside industry source................long before it gets to become public knowledge. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Knowing Karl's background, there is every chance it came from an inside industry source................long before it gets to become public knowledge. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sorry no insider knowledge. But as a major part of my trade I have to follow security extremely closely to ensure my clients servers are secure.

I follow security mailing lists, security blogs, software development teams and news sites.

I also follow the major security experts on Twitter, which is where I got this one within minutes of the update being announced.

There is also a CVE database (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) which can be read to see what if any of your software is exposed.

I don't post them all here because it would be a full time job and most wouldn't affect people. Most security bugs are only relevant if you are a specific target.
This particular bug though could be used by hackers in an indiscriminate trawl.

I try to post on here whenever I see one that could affect most if not all of us on here. Mainly browser bugs and the occasional OS bug.

Zero day bugs are bugs that are known by hackers but haven't yet been patched and may not even be known about by the author of the software. These are the most serious.
When a white hat hacker (good guy) finds one, he will privately contact the author of the software and let them know. He will provide details of the bug and a proof of concept (PoC) usually including example code on how to replicate it. The author of the software will then have a period of time to create a patch and release it.

After this period of time has passed, the details and the PoC are released to security researchers who can then apply any lessons learned to other software etc. It is at this point that the PoC can and does get out into the wild and script kiddies will start using it to hack systems that haven't been patched.

This is why you should always update your software. When a company releases a patch it is usually because a bug has been found with security implications and it is only a matter of time until the script kiddies get hold of the PoC and will start indiscriminately abusing it.

The other thing to be aware of, is that once a company releases and out of schedule patch it is likely this patch just fixes one part of the code. In software we have a tool called diff which allows us to look at the difference in the code from before the patch compared to after the patch. Using this a hacker can see what has been fixed and figure out why. He can then use this to create his own exploit before the bug has become widely known.

It really is a race between the release of the update and the black hats being able to exploit it. So the quicker you update the smaller the window of opportunity for them.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Here is an example of one of many tweets I see each day. I then have to check/remember/decide if this will impact any of my clients and take action if it does.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Chrome!! *spit
I don't use it.
Firefox for the win here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!