Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It's on the Fiat Standard chassis so in theory it should be a paper exercise to increase the van from 3,500kg to 3,650kg.

I'm sure you'll be able to increase it further to 3,850kg as long as you can add semi air suspension to the rear and have the correct tyres etc.

The semi-air will allow the rear axle to increase to 2,240kg so that's the important figure.

I'm not sure if your current figures make the van usable so the uplate route is the way to go (If your license permits it).

Here's the figures of a Tracker FB @ 3,500kg with the standard 6kg media pack fitted:

Screenshot_20190225-065228_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think Steve @ABZSteve will be able to advise you better than me.

Cheers,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a much cheaper route to getting the required engineers figures is use John Ruffles of JR Consulting

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
How difficult is it to up plate Autotrail FB.
Plus what weight can you up plate TIA
You’ll need to contact SV Tech and know the following before you speak to them.
Chassis type, suspension type, tyre size and rating plus and what your actual weight is now, as well as what it says on the plate.
I know John Ruffles was recommended above but I would stay well clear and stick with SV Tech even though they are twice the price.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
a much cheaper route to getting the required engineers figures is use John Ruffles of JR Consulting
As others have said in the past, only use JR if you know exactly what you want and check everything he sends carefully. I have my upgrade now but have a certificate/weight plate with 2250kg on the rear axle, despite all received wisdom on this forum that the maximum allowed on the chassis is 2240kg and the fact that tyres for 15" are only readily available in 112 load rating. Somebody else found a mistake in the VIN number on their documentation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Many people have used John Ruffles without a problem - there were some issues when he first started doing it as he was 'new' to the uprating of MHs game, but can't recall any for a while now. He's a lovely chap.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
He's a lovely chap.

He might be lovely but is that enough?

My experience was within the last three months and I have only had the updated V5C for about two weeks. Two posters from a thread in August 2018 stated they had received incorrect advice from him, though they don't state exactly when. Obviously, I agree that one often only sees the comments on a forum highlighting poor service rather than the majority who have no problems. I offered the comment I did above as the OP probably needs advice and I don't think advice is JR's area of expertise.

I would use him again but I would now state exactly what each line on the certificate and plate needed to say.

To balance it out, I had tried to communicate with SV Tech and, apart from an initial copied and pasted response, found they didn't seem to want to respond to emails.

Whatever happens they are both probably more efficient than the DVLA!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if only sv-tech were cheaper for what their end is 5 minutes on a computer typing in the VIN, weights and registration, then emailing the forms to DVLA. Last time I checked JR was less than half the price for exactly the same service

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Many people have used John Ruffles without a problem
I suspect many have used his services without realising they have been given the wrong information and are very happy with their high weight ratings. It’s not right to say his problems were only when he first started doing motorhomes. There’s probably less negative reviews on here because people are being sensible enough to not use his services.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Why does any & every discussion about uprating always end up in a d*ck swinging argument about who is better... :mad: :(

For the OP she simply want some initial advice as to how easy and what maximum...

So I repeat - for a definitive answer as to what her options are... I recommend calling/emailing SVTech for some free advice...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Have you weighed the van and what were the individual axle weights.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
How difficult is it to up plate Autotrail FB.
Plus what weight can you up plate TIA

I used SV-Tech after receiveibng the folloing e-mail from Gareth. Simple process IMHO

Based on 2018 Autotrail Apache 634 (y)

Morning Steve

Thank you for the email. The uprate options on this model are listed below.
Option 1 to 3700kg without change and two further options to uprate to 3850kg or 3850kg with uprated rear axle.
Before considering purchasing this vehicle I would strongly suggest you obtain an accurate unladen weight or take a look in to what the MIRO (mass in running order) figures included or didn’t include.I see Auto-Trail offer an online calculator to obtain the figures for any optional extras- https://www.auto-trail.co.uk/range/apache/632/weight-calculator

Their website does list the following:

Mass in Running Order (MRO):

The Mass in Running Order
(MRO) is the mass of the empty vehicle including a 75kg allowance
for the driver, the diesel tank full and an LPG cylinder full. The MRO
is calculated with the freshwater tank empty on all models and with
one 13kg LPG cylinder. Should you choose to travel with water in
your freshwater tank, or an additional LPG cylinder, then the MRO
figure must be adjusted accordingly.

Tolerances

: The MRO figure quoted is representative of a number
of similar specification models weighed on our fully calibrated axle
weighbridge. Because of the materials and construction techniques
used in the manufacture of our motorhomes, all weights quoted
by us are subject to the tolerances allowed in Regulation (EU) No.
1230/2012 (+/-3%).

Given the allowance of error being ±3%, this could potentially mean your vehicle actually weighs 3373, not 3275kg.
I can’t stress enough about checking the physical weight, as most uprates we cover are on brand new vehicles that have little to no payload allowance remaining.

Uprate options for your vehicle:
The first option, to uprate to 3700kg, does not require any mechanical changes and the axle weights remain unchanged at 1850kg, 2000kg.
The second uprate option is to take the gross weight to 3850kg (max possible). This uprate requires you have rear axle air assisted suspension fit.
The initial uprate to 3850kg would again leave the axle weights unchanged, however you could, with the addition of a tyre change to the rear, increase the rear axle to 2240kg.
If your current tyre size are likely a 215/70R15, these would need changing to a 225/70R15. This should be possible on the existing wheel rim size.
If you are on a 16” wheel, you may have the correct 112 rated tyres already, and please call to confirm the tyre load rating.
Before choosing any of the above uprate options, I would first recommend you have your motorhome weighed and check the individual axle loadings.
Once you have these figures, you will be able to see which uprate option best covers your requirement.
If choosing the second option you would need to source the air assist system and supply evidence of this having been fit. (we can supply if required, though suppliers can be provded if preferred).
Similarly if you wish to uprate the rear axle weight to 2240kg, you will need to supply evidence of the new tyres fit and air kit. These only need changing to the rear, but convenience of the spare wheel would be to change them all.
The cost for us to cover the uprate to any of the above vweights is £260+VAT and includes the new plate for the vehicle and the necessary paperwork to allow you to get the registration document changed.
As the gross weight will be going above 3500kg, the taxation class will change from PLG to PHGV. This change will need making at DVLA Swansea, who will supply you with a new log book.
Unfortunately we cannot make the change to the logbook and deal with DVLA, as this must be carried out by the registered keeper.
Please be aware that DVLA Swansea are taking up to 5 weeks to carry out the logbook change, so please plan the best time to make this change if travelling abroad.
You will received a full instruction sheet detailing the changes to be made on the logbook along with the necessary forms to allow you to change the tax class.
The important things to bear in mind when uprating above 3500kg are as follows:
  • Going above 3500kg requires a C1 category Licence holder to drive. Drivers having passed their test prior to 1997 usually have this as standard.
  • On reaching 70 years of age, you will need to take a medical test to continue to drive over 3500kg. DVLA forms D2 & D4.
    For medical letters you may wish to consider Broken Link Removed, who offer a cheaper alternative to GP charges.
  • Speed limits in Europe are lower for Motorhomes over 3500kg. In most cases, you are unaffected by the weight change in the UK, as the UK work on the unladen weight not exceeding 3050kg.
  • You must inform your insurance company of the uprate (previous customers have not expericenced an increase)
  • The MOT class for Motorhomes/Motor Caravan is Class 4
  • You should check your recovery policy as some restrict European cover on motorhomes over 3500kg.

I hope I’ve covered everything but should you have any queries in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth Marsh
Sales Manager

SvTech Ltd
Chandler House
Talbot Road
Leyland
Lancashire PR25 2ZF

+44 (0)1772 621800
gareth@svtech.co.uk

OP
OP
Kiwi Brit
Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
Thank you everybody we really appreciate all the answers. John is gathering all the info and will definitely be contacting the people you have mentioned while we are in the UK. We will be over for May, June, and July. So that should give us time to investigate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
He is fine if you have the technical knowledge and know exactly what can be done to your vehicle to obtain the desired result but if you need advice it's SV Tech.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect many have used his services without realising they have been given the wrong information and are very happy with their high weight ratings. It’s not right to say his problems were only when he first started doing motorhomes.
... and some people are happy with his services but those who aren't are the ones who continually lambast him. We don't know in some cases exactly what info and the accuracy of it that has been supplied by the customer to get their uprading so without that info you can't 'blame' JR. SVTech have been doing this for years so have a 'databank' of all the possible scenarios so will be able to advise more quickly on 'unusual' situations or for those customers who don't know exactly what they want doing, but if they want to go to them for a simple upgrade which is, most of the time, a paper exercise then do so, but I'd rather save over 50% of the cost by using JR.

There’s probably less negative reviews on here because people are being sensible enough to not use his services.
That's one of the best 'kop-outs I've ever read!:ROFLMAO:

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
I used JR Consulting to up plate to 4000Kg, service was first class and very quick. I wish I could say the same for DVLA.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thank you everybody we really appreciate all the answers. John is gathering all the info and will definitely be contacting the people you have mentioned while we are in the UK. We will be over for May, June, and July. So that should give us time to investigate.

If you haven't already bought your van then there's a dealer in the North East selling a new 2018 Tracker FB model for £52,995 (it was £63K) but I reckon he would take £51,000 as he wants rid of it asap.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We updated a 2013 FB Tracker to 3850 kg back in 2013 that was the max you could get used SV Tech. However if you intend to tow anything don’t bother as the weight of the Towbar added to back axle was to much to make towing anything viable.
We actually changed to a Hymer because of that issue and we really liked the Tracker, just not practical for us.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
but I'd rather save over 50% of the cost by using JR.
I have to say Mindy that I have used Sv Tech successfully and tried John who replied once to my initial request then on asking him if tyres needed to be updated he didn’t bother to reply so you can guess who gets the business(y)(y)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's MINXY ... :rolleyes:

... or do you want to be my Mork? :D

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hmm ... everyone seems to say SV Tech give best advice BUT they have only updated my Campscout to 3850kg whereas John Ruffles uprates same van to 4500kg. I’ve double checked with them but they are insistent. Kind of feel cheated. Maybe check with both first.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hmm ... everyone seems to say SV Tech give best advice BUT they have only updated my Campscout to 3850kg whereas John Ruffles uprates same van to 4500kg. I’ve double checked with them but they are insistent. Kind of feel cheated. Maybe check with both first.
I would tend to trust SV Tech(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would tend to trust SV Tech(y)
Why? Unless Grianan's van was specifically built on the maxi light chassis there's no reason why it can't be up-plated to the max of 4500kg.

@Grianan - do your VIN plates show the same as mine?

Vin plate - Fiat.JPG

Vin plate - Dethleffs.jpg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Why? Unless Grianan's van was specifically built on the maxi light chassis there's no reason why it can't be up-plated to the max of 4500kg.

@Grianan - do your VIN plates show the same as mine?

View attachment 287176
View attachment 287175

Will check in the morning ... but it’s a regular Campscout so should be the same. As far as I know SV Tech always quote 3850kg unless mods carried out ... whearas JR quotes 4500kg with no mods

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Will check in the morning ...
The 'good' news is that SVTech apparently do a 'free' further uprate so you should be able to get them to do it FOC assuming they will accept what they are being told!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The 'good' news is that SVTech apparently do a 'free' further uprate so you should be able to get them to do it FOC assuming they will accept what they are being told!

So how do you (does one) determine who is right? They obviously think they are and JR wouldn’t update to a higher weight if he didn’t think it was right.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So how do you (does one) determine who is right? They obviously think they are and JR wouldn’t update to a higher weight if he didn’t think it was right.
JR and those on the forum who have had their uprated to higher rates are correct, the maxi heavy chassis can go up to 4500kg without modification. I can only assume that SVTech believe it is on the light maxi chassis and that's why they've said it's only able to go up to 3850kg ... it could simply be a mistake made by whoever looked up the info for your vehicle and picked the wrong figures, assuming of course that yours IS on the heavy chassis - without knowing exactly what your weight plate says though it's speculation.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
just to say all companies are not infallible, we used SV Tech to uprate our vehicle and were ok with their service but it wasn't perfect as we had trouble with paperwork & took a while to get sorted.
The power output on paperwork and converters plate was wrong, should read 107kw and not 94kw as its an import vehicle with larger engine - took them a few weeks with us emailing them to get correct paperwork.
Just check & double check the paperwork whoever you go with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back