UP GRADING A MERCEDES SPRINTER REAR SUSPENSION (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi, Hopefully someone out there will have already done this and can advise.
Purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S last September which we love and has lived up to all expectations.
However after up plating to 4050 kg maximum without any modifications it's apparent the rear suspension needs work.
We do travel heavy when bikes, paddleboards and all the stuff a family of four take on an extended tour and on undulating roads the van wallows and occasionally bottom's out.
As its a high top van with roof tent it also suffers from body sway.
My first thoughts were to add a semi air Dunlop kit or Sumo springs however i noticed that some Sprinters with theses modifications can suffer chassis failure/cracking as the semi air puts excessive forces on a non strengthened chassis point.
I'm now thing of fitting upgraded heavy duty rear leaf springs rather than air?
Any advise most welcome.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are springs cheaper, I have seen firms offering replacement or up graded springs no idea of price.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We’ve got air bags on the back of our Rapido.

Seems to work ok đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Full air on the rear would maybe be the best way to go but it is expensive, SAP at Doncaster fit VB air suspension and have the contract for all the ambulances in the area and many members have used them. It maybe worth ringing Mick at SAP and asking for advice he's a very helpful guy.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Our van has two leaf system, does the upgrades 5t have three?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have a lwb Sprinter, following discussion with Mick at SAP we are upgrading to full VB rear air, just a shame that Mercedes won’t allow full air on the front. It’s taken 3 months for the kit to come from Germany due to COVID delays.

• Nice One!
Reactions: DJT
OP
OP

Deleted User
Bill and Helan
Can you tell me how much the system cost and what improvement you've experienced.
Many thanks.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Mick at SAP will be able to answer any questions you may have including costs.
We have always found them more then helpful for similar work.đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
DJT
Hi, Hopefully someone out there will have already done this and can advise.
Purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S last September which we love and has lived up to all expectations.
However after up plating to 4050 kg maximum without any modifications it's apparent the rear suspension needs work.
We do travel heavy when bikes, paddleboards and all the stuff a family of four take on an extended tour and on undulating roads the van wallows and occasionally bottom's out.
As its a high top van with roof tent it also suffers from body sway.
My first thoughts were to add a semi air Dunlop kit or Sumo springs however i noticed that some Sprinters with theses modifications can suffer chassis failure/cracking as the semi air puts excessive forces on a non strengthened chassis point.
I'm now thing of fitting upgraded heavy duty rear leaf springs rather than air?
Any advise most welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back