Tessntim

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
Exp
My bathroom sink is blocked any good ideas how to unblock the pipe as Iv tried sink unblocker boiling water but nothing need advice

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Do you mean the bathroom sink in your Motorhome?
I recently resorted to removing the trap underneath mine as it was emptying very slowly.
It was gunged up with toothpaste slurry which took me a while to clean out. I think it's because we try to economise on water and the toothpaste doesn't get flushed through properly.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Fenwicks do a pipe and tank cleaner for motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tessntim

Tessntim

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
Exp
The pipe is sealed to under van as it comes out the bottom dost look a easy job to get pipes off from under van .. Eek

OP
OP
Tessntim

Tessntim

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
Exp
I had the pipe off from under sink Iv gone down as far as it can see inside van as we'll

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Go careful with the plunger, I was a bit heavy handed with the 'suction and managed to crack the drain well cover, they don't sell just the cover, so it was a new 'Trap' which are a bit of a 'Pain; to replace.
Now I use a non corrosive 'drain clear' and hot water and leave it over-night.
Life can be a pain sometimes??? Best Regards Mac

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
baking soda/ soda crystals and vinegar works well in an ordinary bathroom
somebody will be along soon to tell you/ me whether this would damage MH fittings

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hot water & soda crystals (leave for a couple of hours) then garden hose from mains supply to flush through

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
every so often i put a cheap bottle of coka cola down sink.s and shower ,.shower tend,s to clot up more what with shampoo and shower gell,when flushed let hot water run through ,sink i took out and put in house u bend ,also helps keep waste clean/clear

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Sometimes there is no choice but to take the trap/pipework off

Apart from hair - hard to remove with chemicals - one of my boys completely blocked not just the trap but the next elbow in the pipework with dozens of cotton buds !

x:-)x:-)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've just had to do our house shower plug - I used one of those long curtain wire type thingies with a winding handle on the end, and it eventually sorted it. The substance I find least useful is Mr Muscle. I sometimes get a result by powdering a dishwasher tablet, mixing it with washing up liquid and sending it down the hole with a goodly dose of boiling water. In the past I've used a short length of hose from the tap, pointed it straight down the plughole, bunged up the gap between them with a flannel, then opened up the tap. It'll either clear the blockage or come gushing back out of the overflow.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I always eat three portions of 'Uncle Trumpers' best Lancashire Quality mushy peas, drink two pints of Guinness, wait one hour, and use my ass bugle. Works so well, not only clears my sink, but everyone else's for ten houses each side. :xThumb::xThumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
baking soda/ soda crystals and vinegar works well in an ordinary bathroom

A MH is just like your home, standard plastic pipework, so if it works at home it works in MH.

That guy gets me, "don't use chemicals". So vinegar is, I think, acetic acid and other things, sodium carbonate is as chemical as it gets, an alkali. Mix it with an acid and it gives off gas and heat. Rant over.

But not your toilet, that has rubber seals, don't use bleach.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A MH is just like your home, standard plastic pipework, so if it works at home it works in MH.
That guy gets me, "don't use chemicals". So vinegar is, I think, acetic acid and other things, sodium carbonate is as chemical as it gets, an alkali. Mix it with an acid and it gives off gas and heat. Rant over.
But not your toilet, that has rubber seals, don't use bleach.

I was told on here not to pour boiling water down a sink...........much later I thought "where do you pour the water when you've just boiled veg ?"..................

..............down the sink
:xdoh:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I waited in a neighbours house for her (she works) for the dishwasher maintenance man. When he arrived, he decided that the problem was an excess of grease, fat, etc. was the reason for it's malfunctioning. He extracted a bottle of 'Comfort' from his toolbox and proceeded to empty the total contents into the machine, squirting it all round the inside surfaces. "Best thing for getting rid of the gunge" he proclaimed, putting the machine on a short programme. And it worked. After that, cutlery, dishes and every thing else came out sparkling so my neighbour informed me. "It hasn't worked that well since it was new"

Reactions: CWH

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Do you have a tip up type of sink?

If you do you might find that you have accidentally lost a bar of soap or two when you ( or your grandchildren ) have tipped up the sink

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Very true.

While he may well be correct about vinegar & sodium carbonate making a good combination to clear a blocked drain, everything else sounded complete rubbish to me. Either he wasn't paying attention in his 3rd year chemistry lessons & is now innocently misleading others, or he knows it's rubbish & is relying on other people's lack of knowledge to peddle his own brand of snake oil.

May 24, 2016
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016 - this time
I've just got back from my sons garage where he put my motorhome on the ramp so could get to the waste pipes as the bathroom sink was blocked. Had smell from pipes, thought was the shower, but then saw the back panel where the drop down sink fits was getting mouldy. I looked inside the 'funnel' where the water drains out & it was almost full! Took the sink off & drained the water using a cloth, put some bicarb & vinegar down, didn't do much. Drained out again, tried washing soda, didn't do anything!
On the hose from the sink there's been a short piece of straight pipe fitted, took 1 end off & no water came out. Got the air hose & blasted through from the sink end ..... this is what came out - 20190916_113601.jpg
Lump of silicon with a small hole in the middle. They'd used silicon to seal the joints on the pipe! No wonder it was slow draining, wonder it drained at all! I'd dropped 2 small soap bars down too. Anyway, sorry for long post ? in future I'll be removing the sink (quite easy to do) if drop anything, tho I'm using liquid soap now.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Do you mean the bathroom sink in your Motorhome?
I recently resorted to removing the trap underneath mine as it was emptying very slowly.
It was gunged up with toothpaste slurry which took me a while to clean out. I think it's because we try to economise on water and the toothpaste doesn't get flushed through properly.

I have a similar problem in my apartment so took to spitting into the loo.

I have continued the habit in the MoHo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back