Tyres (1 Viewer)

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
We bought our "previously cherished" moho in November last year.
It's a 2012 model Bailey
Two days before our trip to Spain I took it to my local tyre dealer to get the pressures checked and he advised me that the tyres are out of date.
The date code is sometime in June or July-I forget which-2011
We couldn't get new tyres in time for our trip so I decided to take a gamble, and lost.
Luckily, when one of the tyres decided to surrender, we were crawling (literally) around the Paris peripherique.
The moho has now been at the stealer for a week and a half.

The a/c doesn't work, apparently it needs a regas.
There's a leak into the toilet when driving in the rain (which has apparently been repaired).

And there's an ongoing problem with the radio speakers. All four of them only work when they feel like it, and of course, when I got to the stealer they decided that right then would be a good time to start working again for the first time in ten days.
The stealer service department tried to charge me for a regas for the a/c but relented when I reminded them that the vehicle was supposed to have had a full service before I collected it.
As of Monday last week they still can't fathom out what's wrong with the wireless speakers.

And the tyres, they've admitted that they're out of date and the one that deflated in France has perished.
But apparently they're my responsibility.
Wear and tear they call it.
I've argued that the tread is still good and the tyre didn't puncture but that it went flat because it was knackered through age.
The service manager reckons that moho tyres are good for seven years (they're Michelin) so I've argued that if that's the case, they should have been renewed before I bought the moho.

Your thoughts please.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Don’t hold your breathe for the dealer to replace tyres once they’ve got your Cheque nicely cashed.

If you’d noticed the dates on the tyres before closing the deal then replacements would be part of the deal.
Unfortunately presently tyres do not have any legal time limit on their age. I think There is a proposal in govnt to make 15 years the age limit on the front tyres of busses and coaches and that’s only a proposal at present.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
The dealer has changed the tyres, but fitted van tyres rather than moho ones.
I'm having to assume that they're up to the job of carrying around 3.5 tonnes.

They've regassed the a/c free of charge.

But they wouldn't investigate the radio issue because they didn't fit the Sony upgrade.
The speaker issue is now sorted.
I did it myself.
The right hand tweeter hadn't been correctly fitted into the trim for the Remis blinds, and was shorting on the A pillar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Technically nothing wrong with van (commercial) tyres provided they are of the correct size and speed/load ratings. They may be noisier, give a harder ride or have some other characteristic - you'll only find out after a period of use then it's up to you whether you change them or not. If it had been noticed before you parted with your cash it's most likely you would still have had van tyres fitted. Get the van weighed, loaded ready for touring, making a note of front and rear axle weights then contact the tyre manufacturer for the correct tyre pressures. You could also visit the Tyresave website which has a chart of recommended pressures.

It's a shame you've had these problems, sadly they are all too common - you'd think that given the amount of money we spend everything would be okay from the get-go. Unfortunately many dealers don't think that way, all they look at is profit.

So with that all behind you, put it down to experience and go out and enjoy your new toy!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At least everything is sorted.
I think you were lucky with the tyres as you noticed it after the sale. There is no legal obligation to change the tyres after X years its just a recommendation.
Providing they fitted decent branded van tyres & they have the correct load rating they will give a better ride than Michelin camping tyres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back