tyre upgrade (4 Viewers)

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Our Hymer has Michelin Campers, horrible tyres, hard ride high wear rate, low grip.
I dropped the pressures to, 73 rear, 63 front I have full air suspension. Front wheels sometimes tramp even in the dry. 2 years old & 19,000 miles going to need replacing soon nearly worn out will replace with 4 season or winter tyres.
I’m currently on Hankook tyres but will need replacing soon but they do not make a all season in my size with the correct load rating Will you go with conti 4 seasons or Michelin cross climate?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
..........2 years old & 19,000 miles going to need replacing soon nearly worn out will replace with 4 season or winter tyres.
Sounds similar to the 2 year old Conti Van Contacts that I’ve just replaced at 22000 miles.
I’ve just fitted a set of Michelin Crossclimates to see how they do through the winter as I normally get stuck in my cul-de-sac in the slightest dusting of snow. Michelin recommended their Camper tyre, which better copes with long periods of inactivity, but seeing as my van is pretty much in daily use, I’m prepared to give the Crossclimates a go.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds similar to the 2 year old Conti Van Contacts that I’ve just replaced at 22000 miles.
A previous van had Conti campers at 30k still had 4mm on the front & 6mm on the rears.
Makes you wonder if they are using softer compounds now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
My van like yours is used all through the year and and originally fitted with Michelin cp tyres they only lasted 12k (Norwegian roads terrible) hankooks have lasted 23k and are great but don’t have the 3 peaks so I might as well change them to all season to comply with the new German laws

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m currently on Hankook tyres but will need replacing soon but they do not make a all season in my size with the correct load rating Will you go with conti 4 seasons or Michelin cross climate?
I put Hankooks 4 season on the last van when uprating I wasn't impressed with them & they don't have the Alpin rating. Was thinking of Conti 4 season but could save a couple of hundred quid on 5 tyres by fitting Vesterin/Nextin etc, not really sure.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I'm running on Hancooks all weather tyres on a 4250kgs chassis, checked axle weights at a weighbridge and used this tool to determine tyre pressures:
I previously used Continental four seasons 2 tyres which I preferred and used Continentals tyre pressure chart which gave similar tyre pressure recommendations as the tyresafe site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back