tyre traction. (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
I have a small motorhome which I have owned for about 8 months. It is a Nu Venture Surf which is based on a 1600 Citroen Berlingo. I have noticed that it has very little traction when on even the slightest bit of an incline with gravel, leaves etc which has surprised me. Could it be that it has the wrong tyres on it for a MH conversion or is it something I have to live with? The current tyres are Linus Van 01. I have no plans to "off road" with it but would hate to get stuck on a field after a downpour.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

These tyres??
They don't look the best I'd be looking at m/s tyres for better traction on grass and gravel or some mild a/t tyres.

What size tyres??

Also if you have a lot of weight beyond the rear axle this will reduce the grip of the front driven axle.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I am afraid you have the classic problem of FWD and a heavy rear end (nothing personal 🤪)…

Probably the best you can do is look for heavily treaded tyres in your size and load rating for at least the front axle.

If you are parking on an incline and you are concerned about traction with FWD an old trick is to park with the vehicle rear end facing up the slope. This at least gives a slight improvement in physics by transferring at least some of the weight to the front tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F
Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
Thank you for your replies. I am looking to part of the NC 500 in May so will get the tyres changed before then.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Not familiar with this moho but looking at pictures of one I am surprised with that short wheel base and relatively large rear overhang, the front wheels even touch the ground.
Yes better tyres will help BUT you need to reduce weight at rear and try and increase weight at front.. Axle limits obviously observed.
IMV this vehicle could border on the "Not fit for purpose" category.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back