Tyre repair kit or spare wheel? (1 Viewer)

mikey70

Free Member
Nov 4, 2017
Funster No
with minimal payload and not a lot of room left ! Should I make room for a spare or just make do with the repair kit spray foam and tyre inflater my dealership gave me ?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Through choice I would always go for the wheel, however as a compromise on weight can you fit in a spare tyre - can be handy for the recovery firms if you have need to call them.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
ADAC AA or your recovery company of choice, all will use the local company/agent.

We have a repair kit along with pump and foam, no spare.

Even with self levellers, I’d be wary of changing a motorhome tyre and the road side

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I personally would never buy a vechicle without a spare wheel.some of the so called temp. repair kits are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
for me a spare wheel is peace of mind(y)
Brian & Jo

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
QUOTE="Brian and Jo, post: 2580241, member: 368"]I personally would never buy a vechicle without a spare wheel.some of the so called temp. repair kits are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
for me a spare wheel is peace of mind(y)
Brian & Jo[/QUOTE]

Very sound advice, and it could not come from a more reliable source.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Repair kits are a waste of time on a heavy vehicle if you get a punturer 9 times out of 10 the sidewall is wrecked before you can stop.
A spare is an absolutely essential bit of kit, I would never go anywhere without one. Also if you need a new tyre in France or Spain tyre fitters will insist on both tyres on the same axle being the same so if they can't supply the same tyre as on your van you will have to by 2.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I would always compromise on other stuff to have a spare wheel. If you really can't carry one and only have foam/inflator then keep a very close eye on the tyres with a monitoring system such as Tyrepal. You can minimise the chance of a blow out by stopping before the pressure gets so low as to allow the side walls to overheat and go pop. You then stand more chance of repairing the puncture.
I've nerver needed a spare but always feel better with one.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Personally I dont think vans should be allowed to have a repair kit and no spare. Thats for safety and peace of mind.
I dont want to be on a motorway with an repairable tyre, sat waiting for a truck to hit me.

Deleted User
Depends on your personality, if you are worried about it you must get one just for peace of mind, however, chances are you won't want to change it yourself if it happens and, it happens so infrequently so what if you find some stroppy French man who insists you need To buy 2 it's not like it happens every day

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you have the capacity take a wheel assy , if not take the tyre, anything else is a waste of time in most situations . Depending on where you are you can get a tyre service attend who will be able to
put your matching and correct rated tyre on to your rim at the roadside . If they cant attend then the breakdown service will be able to take your tyre and rim away to get fitted a lot quicker and more certain than them having to source one or maybe two of the correct tyre . On my RV I have the capacity to carry a whole assy but only carry the tyre and also have kit to do the whole change
but would call a tyre service depending on safety .

I had a tyre dealership in Australia , and unless a tyre goes flat when parked 99% of the time its not fit to be repaired , as modern vehicles tend to mask the changes of a semi flat tyre to handling when not being pushed to the limits .

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
A spare wheel, I did read on a different thread problems with recovery when mh has no spare wheel.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Depends on your personality, if you are worried about it you must get one just for peace of mind, however, chances are you won't want to change it yourself if it happens and, it happens so infrequently so what if you find some stroppy French man who insists you need To buy 2 it's not like it happens every day

If you had to buy 2 tyres from a stroppy Frenchman - at least you'd have the bonus of having a spare tyre, but obviously not on a rim.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If payload is a problem, I'd wing it with neither and pray that I don't puncture.
For peace of mind get breakdown cover that will replace a tyre without needing a spare.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you had to buy 2 tyres from a stroppy Frenchman - at least you'd have the bonus of having a spare tyre, but obviously not on a rim.
Then if you have a run of bad luck you could end up with 2 spares and an empty wallet.:)

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I carry spare and trolley jack as don't like std ones. At classic car show yesterday and a guy was selling sealant to put in tyre and is supposed to protect against 15mm dia punctures ! Anyone ever used anything like this, is it any good. As its fluid in tyre wondered about affect on wheel balance. He obviously said it did not affect it.
Not sure about tyre prices in France at moment, but friend of mine lives near Limoge. He normally changes Tyres when over here for his car. This time we checked and it was far cheaper to get the Tyres in France!

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
My previous van weighed 4ton and came with repair kit and no spare. When I picked it up from dealer I ordered a spare wheel and threw the repair kit in the bin.This turned out to be a good decision as a few weeks later on a motorway in Spain a front tyre blew at 60mph, I pulled up and within 2 minutes 2 French vans pulled up and gave me a hand to change wheel. 2 years later a rear tyre blew on m5 and the AA changed the wheel.After the second blowout I fitted pressure monitors for peace of mind.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
sealant to put in tyre and is supposed to protect against 15mm dia punctures ! Anyone ever used anything like this, is it any good.
We used it in our caravan tyres for several years with no problems, though when we put in a car around the same time it caused wheel imbalance, this was due to the tyres we had on the car having moulding ribs across the inside. We had it on another car with no imbalance problems at all. I don't think I'd use it now because if I have a damaged tyre I think it's safer to know about it and get it sorted, rather than drive about with an object stuck in there.
I think what we had was called Protex

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
If payload is a problem, I'd wing it with neither and pray that I don't puncture.
For peace of mind get breakdown cover that will replace a tyre without needing a spare.
If payload is a problem if your already over you mite as well carry spare wheel,
or if the only weight your over is a spare wheel then don,t worry about it ether.
Would not leve home without wheel and tyre.
Remember have a safe journey,
and a safe journey is being prepared.

Andy

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If payload is a problem if your already over you mite as well carry spare wheel,
or if the only weight your over is a spare wheel then don,t worry about it ether.
Would not leve home without wheel and tyre.
Remember have a safe journey,
and a safe journey is being prepared.

Andy

If only we knew if we'd need one!
I'd rather have 40Kg of additional payload if near the limit, rather than wheel and jack, etc, on the off-chance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a slow leaking tyre during the final week of our last foray abroad, fortunately it was able to be kept topped up without an issue a it wasn't loosing much but we had it changed recently and the garage found it did have a puncture, if it had become an issue we would certainly have changed it for our spare wheel whilst away ... I would NEVER travel especially abroad without a spare wheel, not to the out of the way places we go to!

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Slow leak, look for screw etc causing leak and get it repaired as soon as possible.
Go to a garage, use a tyre repair kit or foam kit.
So long as it's not in a sidewall is repairable.
If you get a blowout then it will be a new tyre job.
Ok in a town or city but disastrous on an unknown lane miles from anywhere.
Best to be as self sufficient as possible.
Ok can't carry everything but tyres do get punctures and easily replaced.
All part of basic maintenance.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
On a cycle tour, I carried a spare tyre around with me, just in case.
Never needed it, of course. Broke the damn wheel instead.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A spare wheel and tyre was high on my must-have list for choosing a MH. That ruled out some otherwise tempting competitors.

If we all refuse to buy MHs that have no spare, the manufacturers would stop deleting them and find better ways to save weight.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Have pressure gauges become redundant
No, well I hope not. The only problem is that you can be extremely vigilant and set the correct pressure, examine your tyres prior to setting off, and within ten yards pick up a puncture and know nothing about it until it's too late.
I wouldn't be without a monitoring system now, being able to just glance at the monitor and know what the pressures are is very reassuring.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
On a journey do's no one actually look at the black things in each corner of the van.
before any long jurny i visually check my tiers tread sid wall inside and out tier pressure.
most problems can be stooped before they start just by just by the use of the mark one eyeball
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back