Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Looking to replace my tyres, Michelin agilis fitted at the moment but they have perished. A smooth quiet drive is more important than wearability
Many thanks

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Snap. I've had 2 sets perished over the last 5 years. Michelin gave the text book answer of inflation or overweight. Bullshit to them.
Had a chat with the local garage responsible for looking after UPS vans. He only fits Hankook tyres so I bought a set last year. They are excellent with less tyre noise, cooler after motorway use and absorb our atrocious roads well.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
My experience had continental tyres had to change them 19k put Michelin on still strong 40k no brainier for me

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've put Continental Van Contact tyres on. They aren't motorhome specific tyres because, provided you move the van frequently, I don't think there'll be a difference... except they are cheaper.

Continental are good because of you run below their maximum load, Continental appear to be the only manufacturer that will give you a reduced pressure. Lower pressure means more comfort.

According to the tables published, I'm able to run 50psi on the front and 55psi on the rear, which is much less harsh than the default 65psi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking to replace my tyres, Michelin agilis fitted at the moment but they have perished. A smooth quiet drive is more important than wearability
Many thanks
ay I ask what size you are replacing, and what weight the van ?

I have just this week been involved in extensive research , and the difference between 15" and 16" is quite amazing

One thing for sure, I will NEVER be putting Michelins on a van again !

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
ay I ask what size you are replacing, and what weight the van ?

I have just this week been involved in extensive research , and the difference between 15" and 16" is quite amazing

One thing for sure, I will NEVER be putting Michelins on a van again !
C’mon spill the beans, what’s amazing between 15 and 16? Very interested as I’m on 15’s (contis) and want to move to 16”
Why no Michelin? I know they run at higher psi but have faith in them (cars and bikes). What am I missing here??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The size is 225/70R15
The worlds you Lobster !
My recommendations would be Hankook for definite and quite probable Davanti as they are coming out almost as good so far, but final result wll not be known just yet..
Our van has 16" so not so much choice, but on showings so far I am having a pair of Davanti's fitted tomorrow morning :) ( Be rude not to.. Cos of certain things they are not costing me too much :) ) ( But to clarify I could have chosen two of anything I wanted )

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
My experience had continental tyres had to change them 19k put Michelin on still strong 40k no brainier for me
17800mls on van now, on contis 6mm fronts 10mm rears, plenty left in them running at 3.5 tons.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi Jaws -what difference have you found between 15 "and 16" tyres?
Antony bleasdale -we have continental vanco. -about 8 yrs old and still wearing well. As above Conti specify the pressure to run them at if you contact them giving your axle wts. Not too noisy
Paddy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Jaws -what difference have you found between 15 "and 16" tyres?
Paddy
The research was not between tyre sizes Paddy.. But personal experience has shown there is not much to choose in noise, tyre wear and grip between 15 and 16" types... but there is a lot more choice with 15" tyres.. One surprise was how well 15" that are for big heavy 4 x 4's came out for motorhome use..Again Hankooks shone out

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We are Hankook agents and the reports we get back from customers and companies we look after who have had Hankook tyres fitted are very good I think they are one of the best tyres on the market at the moment just fitted some 225/75-16 RA18 with 120/121 load rating Hankooks for the second time to a company van the first set did 38k miles the company was very impressed with them and now fit Hankook to all their vans regardless of size

Just look around at HGV trucks when parked next to them at the lights you will be Suprised how many have Hankook tyres fitted

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Anyone done the price comparison between these 16 inch tyres yet.?Hankooks V Michelin, or Conti's on a 225/70/R16
NB: I have been told that many tyre fitting places dont stock the high pressure metal valve stems,(if you need them) so best advice is to tell the tyre company you need them before you go to get replacements fitted to avoid disappointment.
Les

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Which are the best tyres to fit depends on what sort of motoring you intend doing and where.
I have run with both Michelin Agiles and Conti Camper. Both are excellent tyres. Not much between them. For UK or continental summer motoring I don't think you can go far wrong with either. Both have good on tarmac road holding , both useless on wet grass or gravel. Softness in ride will depend on the tyre pressures you run at. A plaque usually displayed inside the driver or passenger door will tell you the recommended tyre pressures which is what I would stick too. ON my van they recommend 72 psi on the front and 80 psi on the rear. I had contacted Michelin head office here in France and they said I could reduce the front to 65 psi for a softer ride. I tried it but I could feel extra pressure was needed on the steering etc so I went back to 72 psi. I am currently running on Vredestein Comtrac 2 which are a all season Van tyres. I needed something that are winter rated for when the snow comes here in France and Germany where you have to have winter tyres fitted in bad weather. So far I have found them to be very good, just as effective on tarmac as Michelin or Conti. They are better on wet grass or slightly mud conditions. Definitely better grip in the snow. The only down side is they are effected by side wind when overtaking large lorries. Not dangerous but you can feel it. For my sort of motoring I prefer Vredestein 4 seasons. If I lived in the UK and only used the MH for summer motoriing I would be happy with either the Michelin's or Conti.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm on Conti VanContact 4Season on my PVC. As mentioned, I'm on 50/55 psi because I went up to 225/70R15 with 112 loading. They aren't any quieter than the cheap no-brand tyres that were on the van when I got it. But the ride is much better, less crashy on potholes. And they grip really well in even torrential rain. Nice deep tread too, so they should last a while. Done 10k miles so far and they still look perfect.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have run with both Michelin Agiles
I would like to know how you got them to grip ?
Not a mick taking question, as I would not rate them higher than say a 5 out of ten
Lost marks for traction in every situation apart from concrete based roads
( I am compare them with Davanti and Hankooks )

BTW, had the Davanti's put on the front this morning ..
Cannot give much of a report yet, but noise level was NOTICEABLY down on the old Avon/Cooper ones I had on for several months and the Contis I had on for 10 days

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I would like to know how you got them to grip ?
Not a mick taking question, as I would not rate them higher than say a 5 out of ten
Lost marks for traction in every situation apart from concrete based roads
( I am compare them with Davanti and Hankooks )

BTW, had the Davanti's put on the front this morning ..
Cannot give much of a report yet, but noise level was NOTICEABLY down on the old Avon/Cooper ones I had on for several months and the Contis I had on for 10 days
I'm surprised to hear your comment. Both the conti campers and Michelin agiled were great road holding. Even in the wet. Useless in snow or loose gravel or grass but on tarmac brilliant. My MH was a Fiat ducato which ran always at max payload. Tyre pressure were 5 bar / 72psi in the front and 5.5 bar / 80 psi in the rear.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm surprised to hear your comment. Both the conti campers and Michelin agiled were great road holding. Even in the wet. Useless in snow or loose gravel or grass but on tarmac brilliant. My MH was a Fiat ducato which ran always at max payload. Tyre pressure were 5 bar / 72psi in the front and 5.5 bar / 80 psi in the rear.
Every one has their own criteria Mike...
But while almost all tyres available in the uk ( apart from a few such as General Grabber etc which were never meant for European roads ) I have to take in to account all the times people with motorhomes are not on a paved surface... and have to be towed off pitches/show grounds etc :) If you have never been stuck in a soggy field you are just not trying LOL!!

As a matter of interest, when you say max payload what sort of weight / motorhome are you talking about ?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Every one has their own criteria Mike...
But while almost all tyres available in the uk ( apart from a few such as General Grabber etc which were never meant for European roads ) I have to take in to account all the times people with motorhomes are not on a paved surface... and have to be towed off pitches/show grounds etc :) If you have never been stuck in a soggy field you are just not trying LOL!!

As a matter of interest, when you say max payload what sort of weight / motorhome are you talking about ?

Is this trying hard enough.
3.5 ton Fiat Ducato base.
IMG_20141109_171741.jpg
DSC_6615.jpg
IMG_20180521_083959086.jpg

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
We are Hankook agents and the reports we get back from customers and companies we look after who have had Hankook tyres fitted are very good I think they are one of the best tyres on the market at the moment just fitted some 225/75-16 RA18 with 120/121 load rating Hankooks for the second time to a company van the first set did 38k miles the company was very impressed with them and now fit Hankook to all their vans regardless of size

Just look around at HGV trucks when parked next to them at the lights you will be Suprised how many have Hankook tyres fitted
Having two of these tyres fitted tomorow to replace my Vanco tyres that are worn. Will see how they go seem to get good reports.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having two of these tyres fitted tomorow to replace my Vanco tyres that are worn. Will see how they go seem to get good reports.
You will proly be shocked at the difference in noise levels..
When I had the Hankooks fitted I even had to start talking to Woman again

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Haha will be turning the tunes up... :D2(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back