Tyre question again. (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have just posted the below in the Technical forum but thought it was important as I am about to change the tyres on my Motor Home here in France.

" This is an interesting reply I had back from a company called Allopneus tyres here in France. They are an internet company selling tyres.
I sent them an email asking for some advice about the Nokian Weatherproof tyres which are van tyres and asked if they wouold be suitable for my Motor Home.
This is the reply I got back:

Hello Mr Wills

After your return, I inform you that the Nokian tire is not for campers.

All vehicles in circulation from 2003 must be fitted with tires with special marking CP camper.

You will find below the Michelin model that has marking M + S:

Broken Link Removed

I invite you to check the load index and speed if they match before ordering.

We remain at your disposal to answer all your questions.

Cordially.

Delphine B.

Commercial Service

commercial.entreprise@allopneus.com

Tel: 08 11 14 00 88

Fax: 04 42 96 23 90

Allopneus SAS

The French version.
Bonjour Mr Wills,

Suite à votre retour, je vous informe que le nokian n’est pas un pneu pour camping car.

Tous les véhicules mis en circulation à partir de 2003 doivent être équipés de pneus avec le marquage CP spécial camping car.

Vous trouverez ci-dessous le modèle Michelin qui possède le marquage M+S :

Broken Link Removed

je vous invite à verifier l’indice de charge et de vitesse s’ils correspondent avant de commander.

Nous restons, à votre entière disposition pour répondre à toutes vos questions.

Cordialement

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Must be a French rule;)

So I doubt if the French bother either,

Martin

Deleted User
It is a ETRTO recommendation, not the law, no need for panic on this one. I have no doubt if you change your tryes in France the fitter will want to follow ETRTO recommendations, however, we can all still travel up and down France with our C tyres happily rolling along.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
In reality a motorhome is just a glorified van so tyres are rated for the van weight. Never heard of this explanation from a tyre distributor before. I've had a very bad experience with Michelin tyres so have fitted the preferred tyre choice of parcel delivery vans and thats Hankook. I've found they ride the UK potholed roads well and are much quieter than Michelin. All down to choice really .

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I have also fitted hankook tyres on my van and can honestly say they ride much better than the michelin's

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Yep, also got Hankooks fitted after previously having Continental vanco fourseasons 2 tyres fitted. No problem with the Continentals other than I couldn't find any that were less than three years old!

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Slightly off topic, but I am surprised that Hankook are the choice of delivery drivers. I do about 35K kilometres a year in France and the previous Hankook tyres I had fitted to the front wheels of my Berlingo last less than half the distance that the previous Kleber Transpros had. I only had Hankooks fitted as that is all the dealer had, and I needed an immediate change. Also, the Klebers were hopeless off road so I was up for a change of tread. The Hankooks were no better.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I've now tried conti's, Michelin and Hankook's and quite frankly they're all useless off road and that's pure and simple they are road tyres and the amount of weight on the front axle will always make getting off of muddy pitches hard, it's a combination of low revs, traction control and patience which get you off

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Yes, but I'm talking about a Berlingo van with little weight in the back. In theory FWD should work better for that type of vehicle.

The new camper is RWD. RWD is the future :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back