Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
There is a plate on the inside door frame of our cab saying fronts 72.5 psi and rear 79.5 psi. Got my local garage to order some new tyres like for like as the ones fitted from new although not worn out were past their best.

A bit concerned to see new tyres had max pressure of 70 psi stamped on them so I then looked at the old original tyres fitted at the factory and they are stamped with max 69 psi.

So new tyres higher than old original ones but still some way short of tyre pressures for vehicle.

So what is all that about?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,I think those pressures relate only to the American market as they have to have them under US regs.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Refer to the manufacturer of your tyres, specifying the axle weights of your vehicle. You may be able to run with less than 70psi and get a better ride.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
It does say in small print above "codes USA/Canada only"

Wasn't sure what codes were.

The new tyres are rated just over my axle weight, so have you tried running lower pressures? Always set tyres at vehicle manufacturers recommended pressures

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
In most vans 72.5 & 79psi will shake your fillings out, particularly on UK roads.
Weigh the van with it loaded for a trip and e-mail the tyre manufacturers with the separate axle weights.
You might be surprised how much lower the pressure could be and how much more comfortable the ride could be.

Richard.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use the plated tyre pressures given even though they are very high, ride seems ok. Most motorhomes are built near the top end of the weight limit and by the time they are fully loaded are likely to be very close to it so it doesn't surprise me that high pressures are needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The vehicle manufacturers work on the fact that the vehicle will be fully loaded and that is therefore the tyre pressure to use. Motorhomes can be lighter than that especially at the front so the best way to sort it out is to take it to a weigh bridge and get it weighed with all your normal bits and pieces along with a full tank of fuel and water if thats what you normally carry. You need the weight for the front and rear axle. It will also show if you are overweight. Once you have this crucial information you can ask the manufacturers for the pressures for the given axle weights. You should also use a decent camper specific tyre which are designed for the higher weights. Our Laika uses 80 psi at the rear because the weight on the rear axle is 2340kg.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Which brand of tires do you have? I run my Michelin's at 72 front and 80 rear which is what Michelin and Fiat recommend. I contacted Michelin with axle weights and they replied I could run the front at 65 psi. I tried it but didn't like the feel of the steering, it felt woolly and harder to turn which made me think that more stress was being placed on the steering ball joints etc. My Van and I feel much more comfortable running at the recommended pressures. My axle weights are 1440 kg on the front and 1880 kg on the rear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back