Tyre Pal Sensor Leaking? (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Having gone 18 months without having to inflate our tyres, a few weeks ago one of the back tyres pressure dropped 10psi over 5 days staying in one place. I pumped in back up and on the way home over 2 days it went down 4psi. I could see nothing in the tyre to suggest a puncture. The tyre pressure then stayed the same over the next week.
Having bought a 12V extension lead to make topping the tyres up easier, I then topped up all the tyres.
2 days ago the other rear tyre was 10psi down, I topped it up and this morning the same tyre was 10 psi down again.
As this problem is now on a different tyre, I wonder if I could have swapped the sensors over without realising? Has anyone had a problem with a leaking sensor?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
They can sometimes cause a leak. I'm wondering if mine is letting down my near side front.

They are marked though so shouldn't be getting them mixed up.

Buy yourself a tin of leak detector spray and look carefully as it won't be a steady stream of air being released.

Great bit of kit when they aren't deflating your tyres.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
They can sometimes cause a leak. I'm wondering if mine is letting down my near side front.

They are marked though so shouldn't be getting them mixed up.
I had forgotten about them being for set positions, it isn't that then as it is the correct tyre that has gone down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It looks like they came with a spare set of rubber washers - probably worth trying to change the one that is possibly leaking.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I use gas sealant no problems over many years.just a little on the threads and it’s flexible.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
As Jasz says... once you remove sensor you can damage very small rubber seal.
I always have spares and replace regularly.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They caused a leak on my RV the first time I used them, insde rear as well, what a pain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had one tyre that was losing a few PSI a month, it turned out to be the metal valve slightly loose in the rim. Due to their construction they are easy to tighten don't need to remove the tyre.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I just use them as dust caps and don't have any issues or leaks. I still get a pretty accurate reading.
I got fed up mucking about when topping up the tyres and the gradually various bits perished.
After few thousand miles one did work a bit loose and give a dodgy reading but I tightened it up and its been fine since.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Tyre pal are a PIA. I removed mine in August having been on after maintenance for less than a year, and found 3 of the lock nuts were ceased on and removing them buggered up two metal valve stem threads!

Using them was a nightmare anyway, loads of false over/under pressure warning so pretty useless really.

I discovered that during removal the sensors, in some instances, loosen the internal valve core slightly. That allows air to pass and when the sensor is replaced, it does not retighten the valve core.

Check the core tightness before refitting the sensor.

I’ve binned them all and back to plain old dust caps.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
My experience totally opposite to yours.
Had mine on for 5 years and only remove once a year to manually check pressure (obviously more if Tyre pal says I have pressure issue) and change batteries. !!!

Tyre pal are a PIA. I removed mine in August having been on after maintenance for less than a year, and found 3 of the lock nuts were ceased on and removing them buggered up two metal valve stem threads!

Using them was a nightmare anyway, loads of false over/under pressure warning so pretty useless really.

I discovered that during removal the sensors, in some instances, loosen the internal valve core slightly. That allows air to pass and when the sensor is replaced, it does not retighten the valve core.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
One of mine kept losing a small amount of pressure. Installed them on my new van, and work perfectly. I’ll admit it’s a bit of an extreme way to check so you could just swap the one you think is leaking for a good one, that will tell you if it’s the sensor or tyre/valve.

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I had a leak when I removed the Tyrepal sensor, somehow not blaming the tyre fitters of course the valve was loose in the stem,perhaps unscrewing the sensor had in itself unscrewed the valve. I now keep the relevant valve spanner with me in the van, thankfully at the time I was at home and I had one in my bike toolkit.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I had a leak when I removed the Tyrepal sensor, somehow not blaming the tyre fitters of course the valve was loose in the stem,perhaps unscrewing the sensor had in itself unscrewed the valve. I now keep the relevant valve spanner with me in the van, thankfully at the time I was at home and I had one in my bike toolkit.
Exactly the same experience. I wasn’t even aware that the pin in the tyre valve unscrewed! Tightened that and problem solved. Wouldn’t be without mine, money well spent.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
. I wasn’t even aware that the pin in the tyre valve unscrewed!
I am sure some of yoos auld foggy's will rmbr the metal valve caps that actually had a double prong to unscrew the internal valve mechanism. !!!

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Never had any trouble with mine used them on our caravan for 4 years now on Motorhome for 1.(Replaced batteries only )

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Although I still don't know why the first tyre lost pressure, I have now discovered that the second one had half a screw in it that wasn't visible and had barely reached the inside of the tyre. Having removed the TyrePal sensor it was still losing pressure so I took it to a tyre garage for investigation (Sorted now).

Jan 1, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 DL +
Exp
since 2017
I had both rear valves come loose, I also carry a vale key in case it happens again.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
The most useful things I now carry are a pump and a 15A 12V extension lead as the one on the pump isn't long enough to reach the 12V socket.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992

I had the same problem had to call out recovery while on holiday so gone back to caps

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
I have used them on several vehicles for many years with no problems, just change the batteries.
Then I had one tyre that slowly lost pressure.
I contacted TyrePal by phone to order some spare washers that were not on their website, they apologised and supplied them and this has cured the pthe leak.

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
I had this same issue. It turned out the Valve thread was a bit 'cross-threaded' and the sensor seeped a bit. Replaced and all tested good.
You could have a leak from Nail or something. Washing up liquid and water dowsed all over will reveal bubbles from tiny Air leaks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back