Tyre issues - no pump will check or inflate (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Frontier
Exp
Since 2019
I had had my Auto-trail a few weeks so I came to check the pressures.

I visited 3 garages with a pump. Non would connect.

I sorrowed my friend's 8 bar pump. No avail.

I visited a small garage. Registering 2.9 bar as it again is not successfully connecting to the tyre valve.

Has anyone else ever had an issue?

Pressure should be 5.5 bar. All that happens is that air seems to come out.

Thank you

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Welcome.

did you not have a tyre pump ( plug into power socket usually on the dash )with the Motorhome.

normally most garages are set up for cars and their air pumps are no use on the motorhome for higher pressures.

Also most (but not all) the higher pressure ( 5.5bar ) pumps have a screw on end to attach to the tyre valve. They are a pain as you loose pressure screwing the head on and when you take it off so have to slightly over inflate to allow for loss on unscrewing, then adjust with a trusted tyre pressure gauge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Dec 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Frontier
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you.

No there's no tyre pump. Some things I read say they are better connected to the battery direct dur to the amps.

The seller offered no information to suggest that anything other than a standard garage pump would work.

I'll take it back to them and get them to check and inflate them. 100m round trip.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Some people seem to use petrol station pumps with no problem, but they don't seem to inflate enough for us.
We eventually took ours to a tyre fitters (similar to a kwik fit) he tried using a pressure canister (don't know if that's the right terminology) that wasn't powerful enough, so had to do it straight from the wall- even that was difficult.
Local motorhome repairs told us we need somewhere that deals with commercial vans or similar.
Not sure why it's so simple for others.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is the end of the brass part of the valve round?
Thinking it may have got damaged and now more oval.
Just a thought.
Sounds like it needs replacing anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Dec 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Frontier
Exp
Since 2019
Some people seem to use petrol station pumps with no problem, but they don't seem to inflate enough for us.
We eventually took ours to a tyre fitters (similar to a kwik fit) he tried using a pressure canister (don't know if that's the right terminology) that wasn't powerful enough, so had to do it straight from the wall- even that was difficult.
Local motorhome repairs told us we need somewhere that deals with commercial vans or similar.
Not sure why it's so simple for others.
Thanks for your advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Dec 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Frontier
Exp
Since 2019
Is the end of the brass part of the valve round?
Thinking it may have got damaged and now more oval.
Just a thought.
Sounds like it needs replacing anyway.
Hello. No they look ok. I can't imagine all 4 could be faulty. Lets assume the dealer checked them before sale..... as nobody else can.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Go to local tyre dealer. Give them £2 to check them, cheaper than 100mile round trip they will advise you if the valves are kaput and can replace them if necessary

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a guess, but if you or the previous owner had that anti puncture green crap put in the tyres it can, and does, clog the valves
I've had it both on my car tyres at just 36psi and my leccy bike at 60psi.
Only solution was remove the valve core, clean and wash then reinstall.
The compressor used on both occasions was capable of at least 115psi....tested and checked.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would be straight down to the nearest tyre garage and get the valves and pressures checked . i would not be driving 100 miles..

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use the Ring RAC900 heavy duty one. £80 on Amazon, easily comes with pressures, fast and quiet and really well made. Highly recommended.

Yes I've had one of those, its a good compressor, but it just died on me after less than 12 months.

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I use one of these. Had it for 9 months now, works well with the added benefit of an extension tube so it can reach the rear tyres. Book says up to 100psi, certainly works with 5.5bar on my autotrail.
Amazon product ASIN B01MF8OM7I

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Yes I've had one of those, its a good compressor, but it just died on me after less than 12 months.
I assume it’s covered under guarantee then. I’m surprised it’s happened, because they’re really well made.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Ours, Hymer, came with a combined tyre pump and puncture foam unit as the valve was an unusual size. Before spending out on a pump you might want establish what sort of valve you have.

Upvote 0

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I top up my LDV with free air in Sainsburys, and there seems to be more pressure available. This probably doesn't help in Spain, but surely they have truck stops there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back