LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Can anyone advise on what the typical DPF Sensor readings in mbar would be in the following situations..?

a) Ignition on
b) Engine running at idle
c) Engine running at around 2000rpm

It's for a 2012 Ducato 3.0 180.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't know but mine is in limp mode at the moment and I'm told from initial diagnostics that the soot level is 2%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Can anyone advise on what the typical DPF Sensor readings in mbar would be in the following situations..?

a) Ignition on
b) Engine running at idle
c) Engine running at around 2000rpm

It's for a 2012 Ducato 3.0 180.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock.

Cant really help with specific figures...but its a differential pressure that you are normally checking... ie difference in pressure across the filter..and again that would normally be measured as a voltage output from the sensor.. which obviously relates to a pressure ..but no idea what that pressure would be... with engine not running i suppose atmospheric , and under running conditions as low as possible if the filter is good..
They typically are capable of measuring up to 1 bar i believe but thats just after a quick google.. not practical experience..
Ill check the picoscope data tonight and see if they give any typical values for a dpf sensor.. if i find anything ill get back...
Andy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But....even if you know the pressure how do you propose measuring it.

You either have a partially blocked DPF or a faulty sensor.

Try using an OBD reader to clear the fault then if it comes out of LIMP mode give it a thrashing in 3rd gear for 1/2hr to regenerate the DPF.

If that doesn't work take it to a garage where they can force a regen using their equipment..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
DPF SENSOR !!!!!!!! ARghh..... Not again..
Do a search as I had that issue.. Final outcome was a local garage changed the sensor and did a forced re-gen. Reset everything and all was good. Cost £135 seems to ring a bell.
I did read other threads where people had spent a thousand pound plus with fiat agents who talked them into various repair options.

Mine is a 2012, Fiat give options for a replacement sensor pud new pipes as the existing ones dont fit. A search on the web will find a replacement you can find it for one vehicle at one price and the same OEM part listed for another at almost half price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
@andy63 Thanks, it'd be great if you find anything.

But....even if you know the pressure how do you propose measuring it.

By using Multiecuscan.

MESPara.jpg

If that doesn't work take it to a garage where they can force a regen using their equipment..

I can force a regen using Multiecuscan, but I'd rather not if I don't have to as a forced regen degrades the oil.

MESAdj.jpg

@tonka , yeah I've searched quite a bit, sounds like the garage you used was quite reasonable, the part you've posted a link to is not a direct replacement for the unit fitted to mine (552103040), I've ordered a used part from the UK as, hopefully, a short term fix and also, out of interest, ordered a new one from China that came in at 16 groats, but will take longer to arrive.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

Attachments

• MESAdj.jpg
    MESAdj.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 232

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. well i couldnt find any examples on the of dpf traces on the current scope software.... but there was a link to frank massey testing a dpf so hopefully that will give you some answers..if the link works(y):LOL:
Andy.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
That's brilliant @andy63, my Sensor is showing 900mb even with just ignition on and it doesn't move at startup or with rev's, I figured it was SNAFU but the video confirms, thanks!

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Fitted the replacement, second hand Sensor this morning, cleared the error codes and executed the "New DPF Sensor fitted" process to reset the ECU. Fired her up and instantly got totally different readings with no error codes. Took her out for a spin and to fuel her up (I read somewhere that the DPF will not regenerate if either you've got less than 20 ltrs of fuel or the Oil degredation is below a certain level), by the time I got to the fuel station the DPF Clogging % had dropped to 26.4% so it looks like all is rosey in the garden (fingers crossed). Just in case anyone's searching for the values, MES is showing the following:-

1) Ignition on = around 3Mbar
2) Engine at Idle = around 8Mbar
3) at 2000rpm = around 14Mbar

Images before leaving for fuel.
Ignition on

DPFSensoratIgnOn.jpg

Idle

DPFSensoratIdle.jpg

2000rpm

DPFSensorat2000.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Thanks for posting the results. Have 3 litre fiat and as self servicing will need multiecuscan. Knowing what good figures are will be a great help.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had two dpf faults on our 2012 3.0 180 one when it was 6 months old they fitted a new sensor (or ceramic capacitor) thier words, it failed again after 4 years a new type of sensor was then fitted with new wiring and pipes by the Fiat dealer at a cost of £240 job done.
This was after I removed it myself and played about with it but could find no info on voltage and pressure.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I understand part of the initials ie damp proof but what does the f mean.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Thanks for posting the results. Have 3 litre fiat and as self servicing will need multiecuscan. Knowing what good figures are will be a great help.

I'd strongly suggest getting either an "OBDLink" cable or Bluetooth device rather than trying to use an ELM327 device to connect Multiecuscan to your van, MES seems to have no end of issues with the cheap ELM units. I had issues with mine so invested in the OBDLink cable and it connected straight away. Also, using the Bluetooth/Cable versions allows you to search online for information whereas the WiFi version doesn't (I don't think anyway).

Cheers
Red.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I'd strongly suggest getting either an "OBDLink" cable or Bluetooth device rather than trying to use an ELM327 device to connect Multiecuscan to your van, MES seems to have no end of issues with the cheap ELM units. I had issues with mine so

I had read on multiecuscan info that the cheap elm327 units needed a resistor cut but take the point that its easier to get good easy reliable connection with the OBDlink unit.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

adrianlzt

Free Member
Jul 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
We are also having troubles with dpf sensor.
Just bought mes and I have to compare Red's values.

Before buying the motorhome I know they changed the sensor.
I was wondering if our problem is that the garage didn't apply the "New DPF Sensor fitted" process.
Anyone knows what's that process about?

Red, with your previous broken sensor, how was behaving the Ducato?
Mine looks correct, it increases the soot level and do regens normally after ~1000km.
Although twice it had done regens while the soot level was around 30%

:/

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
adrianlzt , We got an engine light and the van ran in "limp mode".

I have a feeling that the "New DPF sensor fitted" option just initiates a reset and learning process for the ECU to sync with the dpf (note: that's just a guess)

Cheers
Red.

frank451

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
ducato 2.3 x250 2014
adrianlzt , We got an engine light and the van ran in "limp mode".

I have a feeling that the "New DPF sensor fitted" option just initiates a reset and learning process for the ECU to sync with the dpf (note: that's just a guess)

Cheers
Red.
Hi Red

I have similar issues with my 2.3 ducato 2014 x250. I replaced the sensor but when executing the sensor replacement in mes it says completed but status is unknown. Did yours do that?

current idle reading are between 10-14 mbar. Is this too much do you know?

many help appreciated

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hi Frank,

I can't remember if I got the message you're getting, but I would be happy with a "completed" message, status unknown may be because you've not driven the vehicle yet?

Reset the DPF Error code, take it for a spin and see how she runs, and if she throws another error code...

My 3.0 ltr was only at 9 mbar at idle, but that might just be the fact that its a different motor...

Cheers
Red.

frank451

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
ducato 2.3 x250 2014
Hi Frank,

I can't remember if I got the message you're getting, but I would be happy with a "completed" message, status unknown may be because you've not driven the vehicle yet?

Reset the DPF Error code, take it for a spin and see how she runs, and if she throws another error code...

My 3.0 ltr was only at 9 mbar at idle, but that might just be the fact that its a different motor...

Cheers
Red.
Thanks Red

a static regen after replacing the Dpf pressure sensor seemed to remove the Dpf warning light (it only came on after replacing the sensor). The vehicle then ran fine for about 197km then the background regens kicked in (no light on dash) and these were occurring every 1-16km according to Multiecuscan, which is when I get white smoke bellowing out the exhaust. I suspect the pressure sensor pipes may still be blocked up somewhat or the sensor hasn’t paired up with the correct levels.

only guessing but need some answers from somewhere. Fiat dealer tried to rip me off for new injectors new Dpf and new glow plug. It’s definitely not all of the above as others with same problem have spent the money and still have same issue.

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I have a spare sensor I can send to you, you could install it as a test to eliminate your "new" one..?

frank451

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
ducato 2.3 x250 2014
Already tried 2, but thank you all the same.
It’s a right head scratcher, bloody Fiats!!

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I take it you've tried a second static burn?

frank451

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
ducato 2.3 x250 2014
Not yet, i don’t want to keep doing them. Going to get it on a mates pit at weekend and double check for blockages in the sensor pipes more thoroughly, mine sits at max 14mbar whilst idling which still seems high, possibly. I have seen other report as low as 3mbar.
Cheers

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
just to add to the data in the mix
ducato 2,3 130 2017 euro6 cold engine

<Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
RedFrame you've obviously had had problems and now know your way around MES a little bit.
are there any values you would have liked to have bench marked. eg i have included 'injector correction cylindar x' a 5min log is a good idea as it can indicate the level of injector contamination/ blockage (values between +-2 acceptable ?) and provide a comparison if a cleaning product such as Moli purge is used (look at variation of a particular injector). (currently doing this on my fabia cayc engine with a variable idle). graph shows a greater variation (value within spec of 2)on injector 4.
injector variation.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back