Two weeks touring Bulgaria in a hired motorhome (2 Viewers)

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Would anyone be interested if I posted up a just-back trip report with photos and stuff from our recent trip around Bulgaria? I've put it on my blog but seems blog links not permitted in the forum (sorry - I need forum L plates!) but happy to do a write up if it would help or interest anyone.

Alternatively I saw something in another post about an area that 'Jim' had created where you could link to travel blogs, so if anyone can point me in the direction of that...

TIA
D
xx

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Would anyone be interested if I posted up a just-back trip report with photos and stuff from our recent trip around Bulgaria? I've put it on my blog but seems blog links not permitted in the forum (sorry - I need forum L plates!) but happy to do a write up if it would help or interest anyone.

Alternatively I saw something in another post about an area that 'Jim' had created where you could link to travel blogs, so if anyone can point me in the direction of that...

TIA
D
xx
We're in Bulgaria at the moment, so, yes, we'd be interested.

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Ok, here goes! First two nights were spent in an apartment before we picked up our hired motorhome.

Day 1

After a ridiculously early Easyjet flight from Gatwick, we arrived in Sofia around midday, and dropped our cases off at our apartment for the next couple of nights (the North Tower Apartment, booked through Bookings . com), before setting off to explore a cold and snowy Sofia.

At 2pm we joined a free food tasting and walking tour, run by Balkan Bites and conducted by the lovely Dani. This finished at the Hadjidragana Tavern, and we were tempted to stay there for the rest of the afternoon and evening, but instead went back to the apartment pre-dinner and then ate at the nearby Happy Bar and Grill.
samples-1.jpg
smoothies.jpg
snacks-and-wine-1.jpg
wines.jpg
wines2-1.jpg
fill-your-own-bottle.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 2

Exploring Sofia, including many of its huge number of churches. Spent some time trying to find the tourist information office, and finally stumbled on it by accident. After a slightly disappointing lunch from a local ‘hole-in-the-wall’ eatery (what WAS in those sausages?) we had a much more satisfying dinner at Da Organica – a vegetarian restaurant with a very friendly resident cat, and some very blue mayonnaise.

sofia.jpg
church-2.jpg
church-doors.jpg
church-3a.jpg
bit-of-history.jpg
brass-lion.jpg
church-4.jpg
sofia-tram.jpg
statue.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 3

Time to part company with my sister and her partner, as they head off for the train to Plovdiv, and we go pick up our hired motorhome for the next fortnight from www. rentacamper. bg and the super helpful Georgi Tsenev.

After the handover we head out of Sofia southwards towards the Rila Monastery. Stopped for lunch at a lovely riverside restaurant serving fresh-caught trout.

Explore Rila Monastery, an amazing UNESCO World Heritage Centre, marvelling at the elaborate frescos painted on what seems like every surface.

Carry on up the mountain road to the little village of Kirilova Polyana, where we check with the restaurant that it’s ok to camp overnight there, and head back for a great dinner later on with homemade wine, baklava and rakia, as well as our first taste of the local dish “Mish Mash” which seems to be similar to ratatouille, cooked in an earthenware pot with an egg baked on the top.
trout-restaurant.jpg
trout-lunch.jpg
rila-monastery.jpg
one-of-the-eight-monks-living-there.jpg
frescos.jpg
view-from-our-window.jpg
shopka-salad-and-homemade-wine.jpg
homemade-baklava-and-rakia.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 4

We decide against the open air toboggan at Belitsa and a visit to the bear sanctuary, which is still closed for the bears’ hibernation, and instead head further south towards Melnik. We visit the hot springs at Rupite, and Ian explores the once fabled ancient village of Heraclea Sintica and then park the motorhome at Kamping Kromidovo, run by lovely English ex-pat couple John and Sara.

heraclea-sintica.jpg
heraclea-sintica2.jpg
heraclea-sintica3.jpg
s
kamping-kromidovo.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 5

A wine-packed day today: The site owner drove us into Melnik – known for its production of wines rumoured to be Winston Churchill’s favourites. Explored the village, and tried (and bought) some local fruit wines (blackcurrant and strawberry). Stunning landscapes of sandstone ‘pyramids’, interesting architecture, and a very friendly and very pregnant restaurant cat at Aleksova Kashta who took ownership of my scarf.

Picked up by the lovely couple volunteering at the campsite, we stopped off at Villa Melnik, where the owner, Nikola Zikatanov, took us on a great winery tour, followed by a very comprehensive tasting. Great company, great wines. Who could ask for more?

melnik.jpg
antivirals-bulgaria-style.jpg
churchills-favourite-drop2.jpg
Churchill’s favourite drop – apparently
roman-mosaic-in-wine-museum.jpg
at-least-they-warned-us.jpg
pathway-up.jpg
melnik2.jpg
pyramids.jpg
balconies-to-beware.jpg
pregnant-restaurant-cat.jpg
shopka-salad.jpg
villa-melnik.jpg
Outside Villa Melnik winery with the owner

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 6

Having carried out some minor repairs on the motorhome’s plumbing, we set off eastwards along a very scenic road through the Rhodope Mountains. Our night stop this time is near the public thermal baths (closed as out of season) alongside a river just outside Devin. Lovely walk up the river, with boards suggesting additional exercises you can do if you don’t feel the walk itself is strenuous enough. Free-camp in the carpark overnight next to the rushing river.

rhodope-mountain-road.jpg
devin-stream.jpg
exercises.jpg
waterfall-devin.jpg
waterfall-walk.jpg
walkway.jpg
devin-walk.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 7 and Day 8

Continue north to Plovdiv, with a short stop in the village of Mihalkovo where there is a water fountain with naturally carbonated water said to have great health benefits (although ‘may contain arsenic’)

Pre-book at an ultra-new campsite called Glamping Alliance. We are one of only two guests there, and the pool and activity area are still in winter mothballs. Google Translate is invaluable in finding out from the receptionist how to catch the bus into Plovdiv, from the bus-stop outside the neighbouring hospital. Bus-ride takes about 15 minutes.

Plovdiv – reputedly the oldest still-inhabited city in Europe – has so much history, it just hits us in the eye whichever way we turn! From an ancient stadium discovered running the length of today’s modern shopping precinct, including ruins in the foundations of the current H&M store, to a Roman library, to the remains of an aqueduct running down the central reservation on the bus route!

So many echoes of a far distant past you can almost hear the roar of the crowd baying for the blood of the unlucky losers in long-gone athletics competitions (note to makers of the 3D info film – I’m pretty sure they competed nude, not in those nifty little loin cloths you portrayed – ah well, gotta keep it family friendly I guess, especially in 3D <sigh>).

Late lunch/early dinner at Pavaj restaurant, including the best dessert of the trip so far.

mihalkovo-mineral-spring.jpg
Carbonated spring water to fill your bottles
many-healing-properties.jpg
Cures everything (but may contan arsenic)
motorhome-at-mihalkovo.jpg
plovdiv-ampitheatre.jpg
plovdiv-library.jpg
tunnel-entry.jpg
basement-of-hm.jpg
Roman ruins in the basement of H&M storePavaj luncch –
pavaj-restaurant-dessert.jpg
The BEST dessert
Day 8

More exploring of Plovdiv, including another good lunch – this time at Aylyakria Restaurant.

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 9

Northwards through the Rose Valley to Shipka. Still too early in the season for the roses to be in bloom, but we do see a storks’ nest on the edge of a village on top of one of the electricity poles, and the snow-topped mountains behind fields of ripening canola are quite a sight.

Wind our way up the mountain to see the abandoned Communist Buzludzha Monument (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzludzha_monument) Stunning views, and a carpark where we stay overnight by the Torch Monument.

snow-capped-mountains.jpg
nesting-storks.jpg
monument.jpg
monument-3.jpg
slowly-collapsing.jpg
Sl
parking.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 10

Try to visit the Kazanluk Rose Museum, but it’s Orthodox Easter Friday and everything is closed, so we drive on to Sliven and take a ride up the 1974 chairlift, followed by what seems like a very long walk to a fast food-type restaurant and back.

Then head further east towards Burgas, where we stop in the village of Vetren – formerly Aquae calidae – where the Romans built a large bathing complex in the 1st Century making use of the natural hot springs there. It’s surrounded by parklands, which are full of families celebrating the holiday, and a great craft brewery called Metalhead Brewery, where we sample some of the produce and stay the night in their carpark.

sliven-chairlift.jpg
getting-ready-to-board.jpg
mountain-bikers.jpg
aquae-calidae.jpg
roman-baths.jpg
metalhead.jpg
menu-at-metalhead.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 11

The day we finally see the Black Sea!

Drove to Nessebar, beautiful old town with cobbled streets. Lovely fish meal at Familia Fish and Grill Restaurant and waterfront parking in the car park there – only a little noisy overnight when the Easter Saturday midnight church service ends with peels of bells and exuberant departing churchgoers.

ruins-at-the-entrance-to-the-old-town.jpg
more-ruins.jpg
cobbled-streets.jpg
Backstreets of Old Nessebar
nessebar-church.jpg
rooftiles.jpg
Why have one layer of tiles when you could have two…or three…or four
parking-at-nessebar.jpg
nessebar-carpark.jpg
Carpark free out of season – prime seafront position
fish-soup-and-garlic-bread.jpg
mussels-to-start.jpg
snapper-bluefish.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 12

Travelled north up the Black Sea coast to Kamchia for a boat trip on the river – thought as it was Easter Sunday, place would be busy, but was just us and our mostly silent captain! Saw a snake and a turtle though and very peaceful. Then an afternoon stroll on Kamchia beach in the sunshine.

Headed for overnight campsite, which was abandoned and very closed.. so ended up just north of Varna at another site that probably SHOULD have been closed! After Ian turned their hot water on with his wrench though, we did manage a hot shower!
mig.jpg
Old Russian (?) fighter jet on display in Nessebar
kamchia-river.jpg
Kamchia River boattrip
turtle.jpg
Turtle!
kamchia-beach.jpg
Kamchia Beach
view-from-our-campsite-varna.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 13

A day travelling in the rain towards Veliko Tarnovo, and another great free overnight stop by the monument in the bend of the river.

A beautiful town, with some very picturesque streets, and interesting wall-art, as well as a very ugly but very prominently located, abandoned hotel – the Interhotel Veliko Tarnovo – which apparently finally shut its doors during the pandemic, having been steadily declining in the years before. Interesting article about its history here https://www.exutopia.com/interhotel-veliko-turnovo/

veliko-tarnovo-streets.jpg
The lovely cobbled streets of Old Veliko Tarnovo
veliko-tarnovo.jpg
OUr campspot for the night was just behind this monument
vt-monument.jpg
wall-art-5.jpg
Wall sculpture
wild-mushroom-starter.jpg
deserted-hotel.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 14

Visit to the nearby village of Arbanasi. Explore the deserted streets, stop for coffee at one of the local restaurants, then continue a few minutes out of town to Hillview’s headquarters for an ATV tour of the surrounding hills. The rain holds off long enough for us to have a great time, and then starts again just as we finish.

Dinner at the Spider Restaurant, recommended by the friendly staff at Hillview, where we try the local dish ‘Kavarma’ – slow-cooked casserole of pork, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms – and an oversized meat skewer.

Park overnight nearby to the sound of rain on the motorhome roof all night.

enough-tiles.jpg
Enough tiles, already!
we-found-camelot.jpg
We found Camelot
king-arthur.jpg
We knew it must be Camelot because they had King Arthur – and his sword – out the front
kavarma.jpg
Kavarma
kebab3.jpg
baklava.jpg
yoghurt.jpg
Yoghurt with honey and nuts
atv-tour.jpg

Day 15

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 15

Westwards from Veliko Tarnovo and up over the mountains again, with promises of magnificent 360 degree views from the top. Unfortunately when we get there, everything is blanketed in thick fog so no views for us!

In the hope of another chairlift ride, we continue to Sopot, but turns out the chairlift only operates at weekends, so we explore the local monastery, fill our water bottles at the local water fountain and try to walk up to a waterfall only to be stumped as the path has been washed away. Finally pitch camp surrounded by sheep and cows and goats, accompanied by their sheep/cow/goatherd and his faithful canine workers, for another peaceful night.

oops-path-washed-away.jpg
The path has been washed away
cows2.jpg
goats.jpg
sopot-parking.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Day 16

Slight detour off the main road to a village called Koprivshtitsa, reputedly one of the prettiest villages in Bulgaria. Many brightly painted houses, and beautiful cobbled streets, which we explore before getting coffee and cake at one of the cafes there.

Our final night’s spot is just on the edge of Sofia. Hidden away behind roadworks and building sites, in an industrial area, is a tiny garden oasis of calm, run by a lovely guy called Ivan, where an assortment of campers and nationalities take advantage of the location and great price and enjoy a choice of super modern shower facilities, or an outdoor version complete with tree! It’s not easy to find or reach, but well worth the effort!

We make our own version of mishmash with as much of our leftover food as we can, before donating our unused toilet rolls (minimum we could buy was four and even we don’t use that much in a fortnight!) to Ivan and returning our motorhome to George the next day.

church-koprivshtitsa.jpg
cobbled-streets-of-koprivshtitsa.jpg
koprvshtitsa-house.jpg
old-truck-in-koprivsnitsa.jpg
ivans-facilities.jpg
Facilities with excellent ventilation
parking-at-ivans.jpg
Ivan’s Oasis of Calm on the outskirts of Sofia
ivans-oasis-1.jpg

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Summary

Another great trip, a fair amount of driving, but plenty of stops along the way to see as much of this amazing country as we could in the time we had.

We initially bought drinking water, but everywhere along the mountain roads there are free springs with the sweetest, freshest water where you can fill up your drink bottles.

Architecture around Bulgaria is a crazy mix of Roman – even pre-Roman – ruins, stark and confronting communist and post-communist projects, and cobbled streets and painted houses of the Revival Period before the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule in the 19th Century.

We were there in April, and the main season doesn’t really start until May, so a lot of places were either closed or very quiet. This meant we could use the Park4Night app without trouble to find free camps that didn’t offend the locals, and only actually paid for six nights camping over the 14 nights we had the camper. Campsite prices seem to be sometimes in Bulgarian Lev, other times in Euros.

When I did my initial research, there were very few campsites around Bulgaria, but George gave us a copy of 2022’s Camping Bulgaria guide by Camping.bg https://camping.bg/ which had a few in it I hadn’t found before, and apparently the 2023 version has another 9 campsites added, so it’s a growing tourism trend.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Day 3

Time to part company with my sister and her partner, as they head off for the train to Plovdiv, and we go pick up our hired motorhome for the next fortnight from www. rentacamper. bg and the super helpful Georgi Tsenev.

After the handover we head out of Sofia southwards towards the Rila Monastery. Stopped for lunch at a lovely riverside restaurant serving fresh-caught trout.

Explore Rila Monastery, an amazing UNESCO World Heritage Centre, marvelling at the elaborate frescos painted on what seems like every surface.

Carry on up the mountain road to the little village of Kirilova Polyana, where we check with the restaurant that it’s ok to camp overnight there, and head back for a great dinner later on with homemade wine, baklava and rakia, as well as our first taste of the local dish “Mish Mash” which seems to be similar to ratatouille, cooked in an earthenware pot with an egg baked on the top.
trout-restaurant.jpg
trout-lunch.jpg
rila-monastery.jpg
one-of-the-eight-monks-living-there.jpg
frescos.jpg
view-from-our-window.jpg
shopka-salad-and-homemade-wine.jpg
homemade-baklava-and-rakia.jpg
Looks fantastic - I’m trying to add it to my saved places in Mundus and I can find the monastery but not the village or restaurant. Do you have a GPS location or what three words? Please keep blogging - you are a great writer and take some lovely photos.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Day 6

Having carried out some minor repairs on the motorhome’s plumbing, we set off eastwards along a very scenic road through the Rhodope Mountains. Our night stop this time is near the public thermal baths (closed as out of season) alongside a river just outside Devin. Lovely walk up the river, with boards suggesting additional exercises you can do if you don’t feel the walk itself is strenuous enough. Free-camp in the carpark overnight next to the rushing river.

rhodope-mountain-road.jpg
devin-stream.jpg
exercises.jpg
waterfall-devin.jpg
waterfall-walk.jpg
walkway.jpg
devin-walk.jpg
Again would love a location for my app please! Our dog would love this overnight stop!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
So how was it generally? Off grid park ups acceptable and safe? People friendly? Campsites cheap? Safe? Many motorhomers aground?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
thanks for that, I am interesting in moving to Bulgaria in a few years so a good tour needed prior.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back