Turns over but won’t start (2 Viewers)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Hyper Exsis 2013 on a Ducato Chassis, 2.3 engine.

A few times now I have turned the key and turns over no issue at all but won’t fire up. Stop and try again and every other time it has stated straight away except today where it did it twice.

Seems to happen hot and cold, switched off for 5 minutes or two weeks.

Very rarely happens, perhaps 10 times in 12 months. I suspect a sticky fuel pump relay or fuel pump solenoid and will be finding the fuse pump relay and ensuring contacts are clean.

Does anyone know of any glaringly common issues? The problem with it being so intermittent is I won’t know for sure till it breaks and I fix it, I can guarantee however, it will break in the middle of nowhere or a back road in the French Alps.

It runs perfectly in every other way which is why I suspect it is just a fuel at start up issue.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Engine battery on the way out ?
Year 2013, battery could be 7 years old.
You could attach a booster to see if it makes any difference ?

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Engine battery on the way out ?
Year 2013, battery could be 7 years old.
You could attach a booster to see if it makes any difference ?

Seems absolutely fine, it is on a solar charger and is maintained always. No slowing on turning over and holds the voltage. I did think it too but it has started on the second or third try every time. I reasoned if it was the battery, 2 attempts would finish it off.

I haven't had chance to connect a booster as it has started without fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I should add, no fault codes are coming up when I stick it on the computer thing and no warning lights.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
do you here the fuel pump before turning to the start position?
and
does the heater element light go out before turning the key?

sorry if you already know / done this.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
several people have had an issue like that cured with a new starter motor. But rule out all other possibilities first

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That’s a great point, I haven’t listened to the pump starting so will have a listen and see if it correlates with not hearing the fuel pump.

I did think of the immobiliser as it has an aftermarket alarm fitted by previous owner, it is so rubbish though that if you forget to turn the alarm off, it starts the engine and then sets the alarm off.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
several people have had an issue like that cured with a new starter motor. But rule out all other possibilities first

That’s a bit strange, you would think it would work or not. Thanks for the tip though, it’s something else to consider if it gets worse.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That’s a bit strange, you would think it would work or not. Thanks for the tip though, it’s something else to consider if it gets worse.
There have been a few cases documented on the forum. I believe zac was one of them, who went to main dealers and Fiat had recieved reports of failing starter motors so authorised the replacement

Another is a faulty lift pump in the fuel tank

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There have been a few cases documented on the forum. I believe zac was one of them, who went to main dealers and Fiat had recieved reports of failing starter motors so authorised the replacement

The lift pump was my thoughts too, thanks for the help. Let’s hope it gives way in a convenient place next to a garage. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

If it hasn't been started much due to lack of use this year then the starter motor can stick, plenty of starts/use can sort it out.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I had a similar problem with my Renault master van , turned out to be a small split in the hand ball pump
, it was allowing the fuel to run back to the tank & causing air in the pipe

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If it hasn't been started much due to lack of use this year then the starter motor can stick, plenty of starts/use can sort it out.

That’s the bizarre thing, it did it in France this year after stopping to get the ramps out and then starting again. It did it today after not moving for two weeks, it is so random.

It could be several issues but I won’t know for sure till it breaks and I fix it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a similar problem with my Renault master van , turned out to be a small split in the hand ball pump
, it was allowing the fuel to run back to the tank & causing air in the pipe

I will have a good look at the fuel lines when I check the relays. 👍

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I will have a good look at the fuel lines when I check the relays. 👍

I actually thought it was a relay , so changed it , no difference,I was doing it myself so couldn’t see what was happening under the hood , I friend stopped bye & it was him that noticed the air in the clear fuel lines
as I was cranking it over

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Can't be battery... OP says engine always turns over with no problems... the issue is that the engine does not fire.
Could understand if turn over was sluggish but not according to OP.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

I had a very long drawn out time with mine refusing to start randomly. When I eventually had the starter replaced all was good for a while then it came back but by then it was over the 2 year warranty period. In the end I paid for a new starter again but not the fiat one (which even the mechanic said was awful and they'd had loads fail) I brought a bosch one and since fitting it I have not had the issue return. Might not be the same problem for you but you won't get a lot of help from fiat that I do know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder how many more will say starter failing without reading the thread.
The starter turns strongly every time but the engine doesn't fire.
Simple enough to understand really. :doh:
If its a common rail engine it could be a fault on the high pressure electric fuel pump.
If its a mechanical pump and injectors it could be the shut-off solenoid on the pump is intermittently sticking closed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar problem. Replaced fuel pump, lift pump, replaced heater jet system and added manual override. All on the recommendations of garages.

Thanks to Wildbill discovered it was one injector that was leaking back and preventing pressure being built up in the injection manifold. Fitted a recon injector myself and instantly it was like a new van.

Drop test on injectors may be worth considering before replacing any parts. Diesel parts can be expensive if you just fire the parts gun at your van.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wildbill did this using a single plastic tub and just visually checked that all injectors were returning a similar amount of fuel. In my case one injector was peeing fuel back so fast that the rail couldn't build up enough pressure.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hyper Exsis 2013 on a Ducato Chassis, 2.3 engine.

A few times now I have turned the key and turns over no issue at all but won’t fire up. Stop and try again and every other time it has stated straight away except today where it did it twice.

Seems to happen hot and cold, switched off for 5 minutes or two weeks.

Very rarely happens, perhaps 10 times in 12 months. I suspect a sticky fuel pump relay or fuel pump solenoid and will be finding the fuse pump relay and ensuring contacts are clean.

Does anyone know of any glaringly common issues? The problem with it being so intermittent is I won’t know for sure till it breaks and I fix it, I can guarantee however, it will break in the middle of nowhere or a back road in the French Alps.

It runs perfectly in every other way which is why I suspect it is just a fuel at start up issue.
I would have a leek down test done on injectors probably losing pressure on injectors is my thinking
bill

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks all.

It hasn’t done it again since.

I can hear the pump start in the tank by the seats and it starts instantly. I suppose if it does it again and I don’t hear the pump I can narrow it down.

All the help is really appreciated.

Thanks

John

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
wonder how many more will say starter failing without reading the thread.
Glad you here pappajohn.
I said the same when everyone was saying tis battery but i seemed to be ignored.
At least Funsters now seem (eventually) to be heading in right direction with it being fuel issues.
A Plea please... can Funsters please make sure they read OP's original thread before posting a reply
Yes i know this will lead to comments from some.....but hay ho.🙂😎

Last edited:

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
If the engine is being turned over at a reasonable speed it isn't the battery. Had the same problem with my 2.3 Ducato. The problem was intermittent so didn't investigate any further. I just put it down to unfortunately owning a Fiat.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
I find it amusing that suggestions are made from people that obviously have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. How can it be the starter motor or battery if both are working efficiently 😂😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back