LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Has anyone got one fitted? Do you think its worth fitting one? Twice in 2 different vans we've came back from Spain with what would seem to be a faulty regulator so should I fit a filter I wonder ?They aren't cheap so im dithering.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi definitely worth fitting, have securimotion regulator and had several fail since 2008, fitted the inline filter in 2013 never had a regulator fail since. Just replaced the little filter element every year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I've never had a regulator problem in over 10 years (that's torn it!) last year I fitted a filter, just before the regulator, before we went off on another jaunt to Morocco. Simple job to fit.

Despite buying gas all over Europe and in Morocco, when I inspected it on our return the filter was virtually unsullied!

I have a feeling the problem is more due to the positioning of the regulator - ours is high up on the locker wall with no pipework running above its level thus avoiding the possibility of anything running down into it. I've also got stainless steel hoses, rather than the standard black rubber variety.

I've always carried a spare regulator and in fact Dave (Newell) swapped them over last year as he said ten years is the expected life for a regulator. I've kept the old one as a spare though.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
spend the £25 quid, go to spain and if you come back without a regulator problem, problem solved? :D £25 quid is hardly expensive
Where do you get a regulator or filter for £25? Please can you give me a link as Ive yet to find either anywhere near that cheap.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Is it a regulator problem or is it the fact that lpg is a mixture in Europe and doesn't like cooler temperatures, where as lpg in the UK is propane, in 13 years I have only ever had oil in one regulator. ? Bob.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There this one

Don't know how performance compares to the Truma one
Those ones are useless fitted them to my last had them on for a year kept getting gas leaks where they connect.
Took them off opened them up the filters looked like no gas had passed through them. Not surprising when you look at the design.

Current van regulator was playing up although gas was flowing ok it wasn't indicating when the bottles changed over, changed under warranty.
Fitted Truma filters you can see by the design they should work as the gas has no option other than to pass through the filter element.

Autogas 2000 do the Truma filters for £40

If I remember I'll check to see if there is any crud in them tomorrow.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Is it a regulator problem or is it the fact that lpg is a mixture in Europe and doesn't like cooler temperatures, where as lpg in the UK is propane, in 13 years I have only ever had oil in one regulator. ? Bob.
Im not sure actually TBH, we did think that might've been the problem as we did have a few very cold nights but it still didn't work when temp rose, surely 7c shouldn't be that cold?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Where do you get a regulator or filter for £25? Please can you give me a link as Ive yet to find either anywhere near that cheap.
I literally googled the word LPG filter.. the very first hit was this.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks, I'll keep my eye on that until it has some reviews. (y)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Gasit also do a high capacity one for £40-£53 depending on what fittings you need. They also do one that fits straight on the bottle before the pigtail.

If I fit one may go that route as our regs in a top corner so hard to connect to without moving it all.

Compared to most other stuff spending £40ish for extra peace of mind is small change for a MH.
If it doesn't need it then won't do any harm and filter will last ages. If you get some dodgy gas may save the reg and blockages.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I think I'll get the Truma one but have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is it worth fitting with a regulator that's been in situ for 4 years? In other words, there might already be gunk in the regulator that fitting the filter will not assist with the crud already present.

Secondly, is it a simple matter to connect it up or should it be done by a gas fitter?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Im not sure actually TBH, we did think that might've been the problem as we did have a few very cold nights but it still didn't work when temp rose, surely 7c shouldn't be that cold?
If you filled up in southern Spain when if was warm you could have 60% butane.
Although butane stops gazing at 0°c it's pretty useless once it gets below 10°c. Also vapour flow rate is lower than propane, it's not uncommon for Truma combi's to fall over on butane when it's quite warm due to gas flow rate being too low.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We replaced our faulty Truma regulator with a Cavagna branded one from Autogas last year, only cost £23.98.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
or £30 with the pipe unions by the look of it.
I'm not sure they would remove the oily residue which is what causes the problem.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I would buy a can of this though for peace of mind.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Have a look at my post #10.
Didn't mean that first one I mentioned, you said you had problems with those and TBH look pretty small to do much

These

Or the Truma

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's never oil in LPG of either variety. Like most (all?) crude oil-based products LPG is distilled. During that process some oil products that shouldn't boil off at the same temperatures as propane or butane are carried forward with the LPG. These products do boil off in use to some extent and it's these that condense throughout the LPG installation coating pipe and regulator internals with a greasy film. Research into failing regulators suggested it was the rubber hoses were that broken down over a period of time and blocked the regulator. Stainless hoses are lined with PTFE tube. Some stainless hoses are made entirely from convoluted stainless with no lining of any kind.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Autogas fitted our 14kg Alugas bottle but I don't recall being told about the filter at all. Next time at the van (tomorrow) I'll have a look. But I've ordered a filter in any event.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Should be out by now but haven't found one listed yet

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
There's never oil in LPG of either variety. Like most (all?) crude oil-based products LPG is distilled. During that process some oil products that shouldn't boil off at the same temperatures as propane or butane are carried forward with the LPG. These products do boil off in use to some extent and it's these that condense throughout the LPG installation coating pipe and regulator internals with a greasy film. Research into failing regulators suggested it was the rubber hoses were that broken down over a period of time and blocked the regulator. Stainless hoses are lined with PTFE tube. Some stainless hoses are made entirely from convoluted stainless with no lining of any kind.
Heavy ends is in fact a well documented problem with lpg that the industry is well aware of.
The regulator issue on leisure vehicles was probably caused by the manufacturers using the wrong materials in the regulator construction and very tight tolerance.
I was talking to a well respected player in the leisure industry gas field and he is of the opinion that the regulators were at fault as they aren’t failing at the same rate today .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Heavy ends is in fact a well documented problem with lpg that the industry is well aware of.
The regulator issue on leisure vehicles was probably caused by the manufacturers using the wrong materials in the regulator construction and very tight tolerance.
I was talking to a well respected player in the leisure industry gas field and he is of the opinion that the regulators were at fault as they aren’t failing at the same rate today .
That seems very likely. Moving a regulator from the bottle top to the locker wall should not have had the effect it did.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I looked into the reason for failing truma regulators a while back..
Even though there was a small amount of liquid residue in the regulator that wouldn't have been capable of blocking the passages or valves in the regulator..
I'm convinced that the problem was the swelling of the rubber plug on one of the valves.. The amount of movement required to operate the valve is tiny.. When the rubber swells it gradually shuts down the gas flow..
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back