Truma frost control - override? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Camped for a couple of days after restrictions lifted and which coincided with some blooming cold weather.

The Truma frost control did as it says on the tin and duly dumped the water in the boiler when the temp hit 3.
Now whilst I appreciate the thinking behind this contraption, I would like to think that I myself can make the decision of whether I want it activated or not, especially when I want to fill up with water when the outside temperature is at 3 or so and I need to get going early. (I know that we can get around it by heating the motorhome before filling but this is a faff in such circumstances.)

Is there any way that I can bypass the auto-dump and thereby take personal responsibility of the risk, or does this machine rule over us too?

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Some use a clothes peg, I use some 15mm plastic conduit fashioned to stop the switch opening.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Fit one of these
Truma-FrostControl-Heizelement-310-160-9981314.jpg

Truma frost element

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I assume the OP has the frost control valve with the blue top switch and blue reset button on the side.

A French video (in French) offered a solution to water dumping at +3°C. They removed the internal metal cylindrical temperature sensor and replaced it with a similar sized wooden replacement. Consequently, this allows the dumping of water to be controlled manually by use of the top blue switch. See this link

An alternative method is to drill a hole ìn the metal cylindrical temperature sensor and drain the oil out. This method is obviously permanent. Unlike the French method which can be returned it's original mode of operation.

Special thanks go to Derek Uzzell of outandaboutlive forum for his input on this matter. Specific link https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.u...ome-Matters/truma-boiler-control-valve/57964/

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Cable tie to hold the button in., I would rather in dumped than have a £1000 bill.
Yes but when you want to fill up and get going when the temperature is at 3° C (or even 2 or 1) and you KNOW that the boiler will not freeze, how frustrating will it be that “computer says no” and you have to wait...and wait...and wait!

Mechanical Nanny-state!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The boiler will run without water in and, once warm, the dump valve should remain closed.
If not, it depends on the type of dump valve you have but some can have a heater added to prevent it dumping when the boiler is on. The dump valve ought to be installed where it will be heated when the boiler is on. Some dump valves can be mechanically restrained but there is a danger that you could forget with regret...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Camped for a couple of days after restrictions lifted and which coincided with some blooming cold weather.

The Truma frost control did as it says on the tin and duly dumped the water in the boiler when the temp hit 3.
Now whilst I appreciate the thinking behind this contraption, I would like to think that I myself can make the decision of whether I want it activated or not, especially when I want to fill up with water when the outside temperature is at 3 or so and I need to get going early. (I know that we can get around it by heating the motorhome before filling but this is a faff in such circumstances.)

Is there any way that I can bypass the auto-dump and thereby take personal responsibility of the risk, or does this machine rule over us too?

Thanks.
Take it out and install a manual valve at your own risk.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
If you are in the van, we just leave the water heater on all night on minimum. The truma is under our bed so it also keeps us toasty. Truma must be very nervous about how much damage can be caused by freezing the boiler to have taken so much trouble all these years.
Reminds me of when we first got our van and went to Vanbitz's "new campsite" to have the alarm fitted, we were trying to fill the tank and couldnt understand why it was pi88ing out underneath, freezing weather!
Mike & Ann

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back