Truma Dump Valve (yellow top) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Markmano

Free Member
Apr 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
1995 Pilote MX25
Exp
Years in a van but newbie in a M/H
Ok thanks for listening.

My Trumatic 6002 is giving me concerns.
The drain down valve wont stay closed, mine is the older small yellow button type which has the switch and appears to need pushing DOWN to stop the water flowing not lifting up like most suggest. Looking in the end you can see the operating lever on the coil and it definitely seems that you need to press it DOWN to stop water.
I wedged it down to test and filled the boiler, the water heated up fine but i didn't want to leave it wedged overnight so i let it drain and just used the heating.
Heating worked fine but floor got very wet overnight, even in bathroom there was puddled water as if it had come out of the hot air pipes.
Mine is a pressurised system with no microswitches on the taps.

I shall be testing it all again tomorrow, checking voltage to the coil, checking resistance of the coil, checking son off switch.

If anybody has any advice on anything else i can check then please reply.

Obviously the soaking wet floor and water in shower is a big concern, if its coming out the hot air pipes its possible that the water is getting through somewhere inside the boiler.

I also noticed that when i turned on the kitchen tap there was a pretty serious leak from where it swivels so i dont know if this is an indication that it hasnt been drained down and pipes frozen at some point.

many thanks in advance

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have had a look at the operating instructions of the Truma 6002 on their manual and it seems to show the conventional 'pull up' switch to protect the heater from freezing. So I am a bit confused.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ok thanks for listening.

My Trumatic 6002 is giving me concerns.
The drain down valve wont stay closed, mine is the older small yellow button type which has the switch and appears to need pushing DOWN to stop the water flowing not lifting up like most suggest. Looking in the end you can see the operating lever on the coil and it definitely seems that you need to press it DOWN to stop water.
I wedged it down to test and filled the boiler, the water heated up fine but i didn't want to leave it wedged overnight so i let it drain and just used the heating.
Heating worked fine but floor got very wet overnight, even in bathroom there was puddled water as if it had come out of the hot air pipes.
Mine is a pressurised system with no microswitches on the taps.

I shall be testing it all again tomorrow, checking voltage to the coil, checking resistance of the coil, checking son off switch.

If anybody has any advice on anything else i can check then please reply.

Obviously the soaking wet floor and water in shower is a big concern, if its coming out the hot air pipes its possible that the water is getting through somewhere inside the boiler.

I also noticed that when i turned on the kitchen tap there was a pretty serious leak from where it swivels so i dont know if this is an indication that it hasnt been drained down and pipes frozen at some point.

many thanks in advance
I doubt very much that water is getting through the boiler and into the hot air ducts, and even if it did it would just pool at the lowest points. In my experience if the boiler has a leak it comes out onto the floor around the boiler. Sounds more like you have had some freezing in the pipes which had caused leaks in both the pipes and tap.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm confused as well the dump valve should have a red button. The yellow ones are normally just a drain down tap.
Some photos would help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Markmano

Markmano

Free Member
Apr 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
1995 Pilote MX25
Exp
Thanks folks,
Yes the manual says pull up the valve to stop it dumping but mine just doesn't work like that. Even the manual for the van repeatedly says pull up but the yellow cap just pulls off. If you Google image search Truma Dump Valve then mines the light grey one with white switch and yellow button.
Sorry I think forums stopped supporting photobucket a long time ago, I'll sort that at some point.
I thought I'd find an obvious leak but I just couldn't, theres lots of dry dust under boiler so definitely not coming from there.
I'll charge up the system and do some checks tomorrow and update.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks folks,
Yes the manual says pull up the valve to stop it dumping but mine just doesn't work like that. Even the manual for the van repeatedly says pull up but the yellow cap just pulls off. If you Google image search Truma Dump Valve then mines the light grey one with white switch and yellow button.
Sorry I think forums stopped supporting photobucket a long time ago, I'll sort that at some point.
I thought I'd find an obvious leak but I just couldn't, theres lots of dry dust under boiler so definitely not coming from there.
I'll charge up the system and do some checks tomorrow and update.

Thanks again
Looked up yours and have never seen one like that before. If you click on the link it takes you to an old Out and About forum thread, which describes yours as being "used with the original Trumatic C-3400 and C-6000 heaters". Looks to me like it is some sort of electrical system, rather than mechanical. May be worth you going through the thread.

BTW to upload a photo on this forum, just click on "Upload a file" and choose your photo from the files on your computer. Mind you that option may only be available to subscribers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Markmano

Markmano

Free Member
Apr 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
1995 Pilote MX25
Exp
Thanks again,

I had skimmed through the page that showed mine but i didnt find much detail, i believe its only the on/off switch and automatic dump.
Ill try again thanks, and ill get back tomorrow when ive had a look and tested a few things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Markmano

Markmano

Free Member
Apr 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
1995 Pilote MX25
Exp
Just in case anybody else is looking to identify it.
The 6000 manual just says to 'push down' and shows the normal red topped valve.

We'll get there.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think there is general agreement about what you should have but is it at all possible that you also have a frost protection valve somewhere? In the 1980's my van had a yellow drain switch which flopped over to empty.
Still might be worth having a search around in case you have both types, the latter having been added by a previous owner.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back