Truma B10 gas fired boiler not staying lit (1 Viewer)

chrisappleby

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Swing
Exp
Since 2011
My Truma B10 gas-fired water boiler is not staying lit.
I've had it apart and can see the gas burner, flame detector probe and twin-pronged ignitor.
When I turn the controller knob on, the ignitor mechanism clicks continually, gas comes on all the way around the burner, flame touches the flame detector probe, clicking continues then flames go out and red light comes on by controller knob and clicking stops.
I've continuity tested the flame detector and there's no continuity so I suspect it may be faulty.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

OP
OP
C

chrisappleby

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Swing
Exp
Since 2011
I thought thermacouple too at first but looking into it I don't think there is an actual thermacouple as such, there's just the probe official called the "flame detector". I don't know if a working one of these would have continuity or not. Mine does not when I test it with a multimeter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I thought thermacouple too at first but looking into it I don't think there is an actual thermacouple as such, there's just the probe official called the "flame detector". I don't know if a working one of these would have continuity or not. Mine does not when I test it with a multimeter.
I think you'll only get a reading if the flame detector is in a flame, that's why it's there. If the gas flame extinguishes the detector will cool and go open circuit triggering the closing of the gas flow valve.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Have you removed the cover from the external vent? I know my truma will not light if the vent is still covered, and even then it takes a few attempts with a few minutes gap in between each attempt.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Searching for

Truma flame rectification electrode

throws up a few results, not sure if thats what you need though. Works differently from a normal thermocouple that detects heat.
I think, not sure, that the flame rectifies a small ac voltage, if the resulting dc voltage is there then theres a flame.

Waiting to be corrected or/and a better explanation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

chrisappleby

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Swing
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies. The vent cover is removed and no spiders webs or other blockages in there.
Will have to try testing voltage when flame is on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back