Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dogbert says he will kick your ass for calling him a yeti :)
... my Tazzy says she'll run underneath him and bite him where the sun don't shine ... she hasn't got any upper front teeth but she'll give him one hell of a gumming! :D

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
... my Tazzy says she'll run underneath him and bite him where the sun don't shine ... she hasn't got any upper front teeth but she'll give him one hell of a gumming! :D

Dogbert says....... he is well up for a gumming :tounge:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
So. Just me and dog, dog roams free at all times.
Me, wife, and dog, dog restrained in harness, clipped to rear seatbelt, wife's instructions.
Until wife says, "ach, it's not a motorway, she'll be fine on my lap for a wee while".
And I say, "maybe let me drive now?"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
So. Just me and dog, dog roams free at all times.
Me, wife, and dog, dog restrained in harness, clipped to rear seatbelt, wife's instructions.
Until wife says, "ach, it's not a motorway, she'll be fine on my lap for a wee while".
And I say, "maybe let me drive now?"

May be worth checking the law on having an unsecured dog on a vehicle......;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My 2 smallest hairy monsters snoozing on the cab floor between the seats.

IMG_20190104_120725.jpg

... and all 3 of them:

Lily sandwich.JPG

Roger Davies

Free Member
Jan 20, 2018
Ivybridge, Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E435
Exp
Our now elderly springer takes up position between driver and passenger seats and never goes into the habitation area. Has always traveled so with no complaint. However, he will not rest his head on the floor and keeps his head raised until we stop.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
I have 2 Jack Russell's and don,t have seat belts in the back, I lifted the seat in the Habitation area and screwed down a Horse tie ring ( stole from my Wife ) like the one pictured , I screwed it to the corner of my Cabinet which holds my Water tank which is nice and strong and then attached 2 Dog leads, The Dogs still have movement but cant fall of the seat and are not going anywhere if I have to stop quickly. They are attached to the lead via a harness and not there collar for obvious reasons not to choke them in case of sudden breaking, It makes us feel better that they are safe. But remember they are small Dogs.
View attachment 276104

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If we had no spare seat belt anchorages, ours could have their harnesses fixed to the table leg.
My brothers rat size dog travels unsecured in the passenger footwell. I don't approve but then I'm not that keen on rat size dogs either.
Our tricolour, Meg, will try to lie in the drivers footwell so securing her is vital. For some reason she likes to sleep there even though it's full of pedals and seems uncomfortable. I think it is because it's draft free as there is no door on the drivers side.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
Adapted leads (only knots etc.), attached to their harness and in turn attached to doggy seat belt adaptors. They generally sleep on the floor between or behind the front seats. Having said this, I have just seen Peskyrabbitt's post using a horse tie-ring and it has given me an idea. (The joys of forums!) There are many such neat devices available in boat chandlers as they are used for clipping on lifelines. I shall pop in to our local chandlery (I live on the coast) and find the least heavy-duty pad eye on sale. - Cost about £8.00 in 316 stainless steel. Nice. (The HD ones are designed to hold c.2,500kg, something that might be generated by a crashing wave ejecting an 20 stone hulk from the cockpit!) Beefing up with a small panel on the back still seems a good idea as panels in MHs and Vans are generally quite thin.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
There are cheaper horse tie rings also out there like the one I have just uploaded , About £2, and if secured properly and to a strong fixing aint gonna budge.
tie ring 1.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Beefing up with a small panel on the back still seems a good idea as panels in MHs and Vans are generally quite thin.
If it is just there to stop a dog from pottering then fixing it to the panels/furniture board will work, but I certainly wouldn't want to rely in it in an accident, it ideally needs to be attached to the rear metal seat frame or seat-belt anchorage.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
If it is just there to stop a dog from pottering then fixing it to the panels/furniture board will work, but I certainly wouldn't want to rely in it in an accident, it ideally needs to be attached to the rear metal seat frame or seat-belt anchorage.

Agreed. As an aside, sadly it is more a case of stopping the dog crashing into us rather than saving the dog. I would love to be corrected but I am not aware of a dog harness that safely restrains the dog in a crash stop

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
It depends on how and where they are fixed, I used to fix these to concrete walls for tying up horses as they were intended to do and haven't had a single horse pull out my fixings. when its got a scare or went loopy. If they can hold a horse its going to hold a dog no problem if attached properly.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
There are cheaper horse tie rings also out there like the one I have just uploaded , About £2, and if secured properly and to a strong fixing aint gonna budge. View attachment 277050

I will take a look. Certainly cheaper. The good thing about the boat ones is that they won't (or at least shouldn't) rattle. If i'm totally honest, my choice is tainted by nostalgia for my past sailing life.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It depends on how and where they are fixed, I used to fix these to concrete walls for tying up horses as they were intended to do and haven't had a single horse pull out my fixings. when its got a scare or went loopy. If they can hold a horse its going to hold a dog no problem if attached properly.
Not questioning the ring itself, but you don't find many concrete walls in motorhomes! :D

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp

Totally in agreement on that but it is not the ring that one would be concerned about as clearly they are strong enough. It's the material to which it is fixed. A brick wall, or thick solid wood is great but I would think the flimsy material used in fitting out the vans is unlikely to take such a shock load. I would certainly reinforce by a large wood or GRP pad behind the panel but have to agree that the strongest point is likely to be the actual seat-belt fixings.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Thats what I was saying it depends where the ring is attached to , obliviously its not concrete in a Motorhome but there are places where the ring can be attached as I have done with mine which will keep your dog secure, I certainly would not be attaching the tie ring to furniture board even with very small dogs.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
To avoid confusion to some people who may have picked me up wrongly, The tie rings strength was never in question,Its common sense ( to me anyway ) that when fitting any load bearing brackets / tie rings etc that appropriate screws/ bolts are used and that the place where it is to be screwed or bolted to can take this. In my previous message I stated that I have never had a horse pull out any of the tie rings that I had fitted, that is because I had used adequate screws and raw plugs/bolts if I had not then the tie ring could have easily been pulled out the wall. Its easy for someone who has seat belts in the back of there Motorhome to attach a dog harness to secure there dog, I use them in my car. My example was only to show what I had done because I do not have seat belts in my Motorhome , We all have different ideas and opinions of how things should be done. My Dogs safety is paramount to me but each to there own as they say.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Ours sleeps in a bed under the table. We have a harness for her but she’s not comfortable in it. She never moves until we tell her we’re there!

Hiding!

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Very well said peskyrabbitt, and absolutely right, as I said before the police will fine a person who does not have an animal secured, saying that, this thread has been fun and that's what we all like to have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back