Traveling In Europe Without Original V5 (1 Viewer)

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Is it to bigger risk to travel to Europe with only a copy of your original V5 ?
Looked it up and some of the post are to old.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I suppose it depends where in the eu you go, the German and Austrian police get very tetchy if you don’t have original documents with you. (From experience)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect that the "average" Traffic plod, would not be able to identify an original from a GOOD copy. Never took mine out of the R-V safe (abroad) in over 5 years of Swanning back and forth to Spain. Guardia looked at the copy 3 or 4 times and just frowned and handed them back without comment!. I reckon I could have cut the page out of the SUN and they wouldn't bat an eyelid. (unless she had really big ones) :LOL:

Seriously, does anyone think the authorities are going to train every traffic officer to identify "forgeries". Just not worth their time.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Carry the original documents. It's the law or be prosecuted.

And don't forget to wear your yellow vest if you get out on a motorway as broken down and warning triangle (2 for Spain) its easy to overlook.

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Many thanks for all your information, after all the replies we will be taking our V5 with us.
The reason we were asking is that we have uprated our MH but it was only done 2 days ago hence not got time to change the V5 now.

Reactions: SMB
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Many thanks for all your information, after all the replies we will be taking our V5 with us.
The reason we were asking is that we have uprated our MH but it was only done 2 days ago hence not got time to change the V5 now.

This is our second trip to France without V5C due to the incompetence of DVLA. Our neighbour emailed yesterday to say that it had arrived in the post, hopefully they have managed to correct their mistake re showing two different weights.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This is our second trip to France without V5C due to the incompetence of DVLA. Our neighbour emailed yesterday to say that it had arrived in the post, hopefully they have managed to correct their mistake re showing two different weights.

I have just spoken to our neighbour and DVLA have sent it back again without changing it. Gross weight 4800, permissible mass 4600.
Who do I complain to??

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Can't move without a permit de circulation (carte grise) here. Needed before a garage will open the bonnet or for any other process. Mr plod would have a fit if he thought it wasn't in your car, asked to produce it at every police encounter.

Why not carry it in your vehicle anyway, no downside that i can see.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We carry all original documents in a folder for the local plod to inspect if needed as well as copies if they need to keep any.
Got one of those small safes from Homebase to keep them in

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We take the originals of all vehicle docs and hide them well, we also have scanned copies on USB sticks which we keep with us just in case the originals go missing (along with the camper probably!).

We have been asked to show them at least three times, the most recent time was when exiting Andorra last year, so it does happen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You must look dodgy minxy
It's not bad seeing as we've been going abroad since 2005 ... first time was at the Swiss/German border, second time was when we were going into Croatia on a little road (I suspect normally used by 'non-law abiding' people to smuggle stuff etc), and the last time in Andorra as part of the check to see what 'contraband' we had (ie did we have more than out alcohol allowance).

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It's not bad seeing as we've been going abroad since 2005 ... first time was at the Swiss/German border, second time was when we were going into Croatia on a little road (I suspect normally used by 'non-law abiding' people to smuggle stuff etc), and the last time in Andorra as part of the check to see what 'contraband' we had (ie did we have more than out alcohol allowance).

Here they'd just be checking if you had too much unprocessed beef, they're more interested in that than cocaine.

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Many thanks everyone we have brought it with us as we have normally.
It was regarding sending it off for a weight uprating.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I have just spoken to our neighbour and DVLA have sent it back again without changing it. Gross weight 4800, permissible mass 4600.
Who do I complain to??
Happened to me recently. Had to phone 3 times and mail twice. If the upgrade is recent your data may have an open case number. After I managed to get a case number, logged all calls, finally got it sorted correctly after complaining but you will need to call and be persistent.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We're in exactly the same position, didn't allow enough time between receiving the new uprated plate (3850kgs) and documents from SV Tech in time to send to DVLA before we set off for France and Spain. We manged to keep just below the current GVW 3700kgs for this trip. so to answer the OP question we didn't take the chance of not carrying the correct V5. Having said that this is our 5th such trip since taking up motor homing and have never been stopped.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
And a general observation here..... I would rather that the police / enforcement agencies DID ask for relevant paperwork for vehicles, to aid the identification of stolen vehicles.

There’s lots of chatter on this and other forums of vehicles going missing and winding their way abroad, so it’s great that the police stop and check vehicles to ensure that paperwork is in order (along with corresponding ID checks).

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
So how does the law regard employed drivers of coaches and trucks who I know from experience only carry copies of original documents, and hired vehicles too ?

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Carry the original documents. It's the law or be prosecuted.

And don't forget to wear your yellow vest if you get out on a motorway as broken down and warning triangle (2 for Spain) its easy to overlook.

Can you supply any written documentation to prove this please.. as we have driven to France more than 20 times since 2016 and when asked for documentation (only the once) copies is accepted.. it’s just that we are going again in 1 months time, and want to be legal.. thank you (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back