Travel/Medical Insurance (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
third party as using similar thinking its unlikely they will ever need to make a claim and third party is all that's required?
Here if you buy a van ,or any vehicle for that matter, over a certain age ,10-12 years t,p,f & t is the best you will be offered anywhere. If you had it insured at an earlier age with FC then you would be able to continue . Here we still claim off the guilty part none of this knock 4 knock.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
No it is for exactly what a national is entitled to receive, not just A&E.. I'm fortunate ,at the moment, in having both full Spanish & UK health entitlement as does my wife.
OH broke his arm in Spain patched up and was treated well but was told by the Spanish doctor he would need a plate, you are now fit to travel you must go to England for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 1, 2018
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Caravanning since 1987, Motorhoming since 2018
Yes, Kids and Credit Card would probably cover it, but at what cost, a complex operation can cost £10s, Health services are not free in all European Countries, the EHIC only means that you pay no more than a local. Insurance means that you pay no more than the excess. Take your pick. Also, no EHIC after the end of this year.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Some can't get insurance either through pre declared conditions or age so the EHIC is all they have to hope they never use, How about a quote of £685 from staysure for 4 DAYS in Malta! (Someone I know!)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
OH broke his arm in Spain patched up and was treated well but was told by the Spanish doctor he would need a plate, you are now fit to travel you must go to England for it.
That's wrong should have been plated at the time same as a local. Even if the local would have been asked to return later you cannot be made/asked to cut short your holiday to return home for treatment.that is the idea of them.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
no EHIC after the end of this year.

That's not strictly true.
It has yet to be decided along with all the other negotiations regarding Brexit. European traveller coming here would still want a degree of free medical assistance FOC from our NHS.

From January 2020 until December 2020, the EHIC will work just as it does now. After December 2020, the EHIC could work as it does now, but this depends on what is decided.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Try Holidaysafe, I've used these for quite a few years for long term winter trips and shorter monthly and weekly trips. Have 4 medical conditions, which they accept but put a small additional price on but have always found them to give a decent price.
This year as we had 2 fly away holidays booked and also planned at least two 30 day trips to Europe with the Motorhome decided to go for annual insurance at a cost of £102.86
Like most insurance policies you don't know how good they are until you make a claim which can of course prove the right or wrong company. I recommended this company to friends of ours for their fly away winter long term trip to Spain this last winter. They unfortunately had to make a claim due to a serious assault which led to hospitalisation and eventual repatriation and friends reckon the help and assistance was absolutely brilliant.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That's wrong should have been plated at the time same as a local. Even if the local would have been asked to return later you cannot be made/asked to cut short your holiday to return home for treatment.that is the idea of them.
There are good medical reasons for what the Spanish doctor did. It meant that the fracture was stable, the patient was fit to fly on their original flight and could get everything sorted at home. If they had been operated on in Spain it would have converted a simple fracture into a compound one, almost certainly the flight would have been delayed with lots of inconvenience all round. Some airlines put a restriction on how long the delay is due to risks of thrombosis.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Some can't get insurance either through pre declared conditions or age so the EHIC is all they have to hope they never use, How about a quote of £685 from staysure for 4 DAYS in Malta! (Someone I know!)
A general question not directed particularly at AC/DC
If your age or pre existing conditions make travel insurance un-affordable is it not time to consider giving up trips abroad?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If there are two of you that can drive your MH, broken leg or arm or indeed a lot of things, even Corona, the other person could get you home.
Bit different than a package holiday.
If one of you had Corona how likely is it the other one would be well enough to drive. As they ought then to be isolating how would you get fuel/food/water what would customs say if they take a turn for the worse would you take them to hospital or try to avoid the expense and risk the worst if you have a vehicle accident and are both injured who's paying the hospital bill what happens if you have a suspcted heart problem etcetera.
It's possible to go without insurance but even if you can both drive although you will almost certainly be lucky if you aren't the bill could be huge.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi Peg Star, I suspect that many insurance policies may wish to put on more restrictions on what they cover now, however whether they can actually state no Covid cover is debatable as it would make it difficult for people to travel without some form of cover for it, especially since it's not just Covid that you could catch but many other things too such as SARS etc which I'm not aware is 'an exception' on current policies. It would also open up a whole host of issues for example could they then exclude malaria, ebola etc? It may instead be that they'll just do what they usually do and increase the premiums to offset the extra claims they may get due to it.
I don't think there will be an exception for covid but I'm sure there will be now for any travel the foreign office has said ought not to be done. When travel to the US comes in again imagine the possible cost of coronovirus treatment there! Maybe the nationwide travel insurance will have to change I don't think having it in place before any changes will make any difference.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
So when you get old or infirm you should stop enjoying life and wait to die?
We wont' give up travelling abroad while we feel its safe medically. Lots of people have expensive conditions to get insured from but that just the insurance companies loading the premiums.
You can tell that by the huge variation in quotes.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
So when you get old or infirm you should stop enjoying life and wait to die?
No but you should still be responsible for your actions
Part of the choice is are you prepared to factor in the additional costs?
Your cheep couple of weeks in the sun disappears when you have a big cost to get travel insurance
I don't buy the line that the EHIC will do or that if I die I can be buried wherever
If your are unfortunate enough to have a sever stroke for example, would you want to be in a hospital who's first language is not yours for an extended time even if the EHIC was covering the costs?
If your 95 or whatever and are prepared to put in the contingency's that's fine but if things hit the fan you should not expect relatives/your government etc to just pick up the tab

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
There are good medical reasons for what the Spanish doctor did. It meant that the fracture was stable, the patient was fit to fly on their original flight and could get everything sorted at home. If they had been operated on in Spain it would have converted a simple fracture into a compound one, almost certainly the flight would have been delayed with lots of inconvenience all round. Some airlines put a restriction on how long the delay is due to risks of thrombosis.
We were not due to leave Spain for another month. It was not the Dr that stopped treatment he was ready to do the opp on Friday when next in surgery. It was the hospital administrator's.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
EHIC are emergency treatment only not for health care.
Try 18 to 30 thousand pound repatriation of a dead person a EHIC does not help

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
We were not due to leave Spain for another month. It was not the Dr that stopped treatment he was ready to do the opp on Friday when next in surgery. It was the hospital administrator's.
& that is what was not only wrong but illegal under eu & EHIC rules.
Have you read all the thread? They are for the exact same treatment a local would receive.
Straight cremation here ,change from 500€ 6 take the ashes home for a service there.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Being a dead person there would be no reason for repatriation. I'm happy to buried any where. Why would you want to bring a dead body back ?

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Lots off people like there relations brought back to there home country to be burned or cremated at homem

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I believe with or without insurance most hospitals in most countries will assist in the case of an emergency, it’s the aftercare where it all gets a bit more difficult. I met a chap in Senegal who had returned to the country to resume a trip that had to be abandoned due to a heart attack a few years before. When he fell ill he was taken to hospital where they quickly diagnosed and operated on him which saved his life. After a few days he was stabilised and the hospital wanted him gone, believing that his travel insurance provided by his bank would take care of everything a flight home with a medical attendant was arranged. Unfortunately the insurance found out that he was in a country where the Foreign office had advised against travel, ( that advice now applies to France and many other European countries) so guess what, he had to pay tens of thousands for repatriation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back