Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Hi all
we are looking for annual European travel insurance for myself and my wife. We have had many quotes and all are fine BUT I can not find cover for over 30days per trip.
Later this year we are going away to Europe for 6 weeks , I know others have extended trips how do you get around this limit.

Is there a company out there covering extended trips abroad
Do you ignore the limitation and hope they don't ask if you need to claim

Cheers Paul

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi all
we are looking for annual European travel insurance for myself and my wife. We have had many quotes and all are fine BUT I can not find cover for over 30days per trip.
Later this year we are going away to Europe for 6 weeks , I know others have extended trips how do you get around this limit.

Is there a company out there covering extended trips abroad
Do you ignore the limitation and hope they don't ask if you need to claim

Cheers Paul
Have you considered a Nationwide account. £10 a month and gives worldwide travel insurance ( think you can arrange extended travel) and breakdown cover plus host of other benefits.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You'll find many annual policies limit all sorts of things whereas you won't have much trouble getting single trip cover for an extended period. Trouble is as you age and get things wrong with you the costs rocket. Pete's only had ONE thing go wrong with his health - prostate cancer which he had whipped out then radiotherapy and at the moment his PSA is 'undetectable' so it's not likely to go wrong in the next few months if not the next few years. But numerous companies will not touch him with a bargepole. I've also got a few very stable conditions, none of which are very likely to need anything more done with them than the drugs I take every day always anyway. Trouble is - insurers think I'm going to drop dead and there's an end to it.

We only really want cover in the event of an unforeseen complete and utter disaster - cos if either of us ever thought - or a medic ever told us - we were too infirm to travel - then we wouldn't.

Brilliant single trip quote from Eurotunnel actually - £126 each rather than add a nought to it for me alone. However it's still £250 and that's more than enough for another channel crossing, isn't it? So - should disaster strike - it'll be a few 000 less to leave the kids - they won't starve!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Try Holiday Safe. Both aged 71 years with some minor medical issues. They offer 31, 45 and 90 duration coverage. We selected the 45 days with £50 excess. We initially paid £150 but due to BH just having a hernia op it was increased to £200. Still good value.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Might also be worth checking your home insurance, too - most policies have a 30 day maximum on being unoccupied. That almost caught us out last year!!

OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Might also be worth checking your home insurance, too - most policies have a 30 day maximum on being unoccupied. That almost caught us out last year!!
We are ok on the house because for our sins we still have 1 son at home
We have been quoted £50 for the year I think I'll just take it and if god forbids I have to use it I'll forget to tell them how long I've even away. What's the worst can happen they can refuse to pay That's just the same as not having it

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
We are ok on the house because for our sins we still have 1 son at home
We have been quoted £50 for the year I think I'll just take it and if god forbids I have to use it I'll forget to tell them how long I've even away. What's the worst can happen they can refuse to pay That's just the same as not having it
That's always your choice, but if something big did happen, you could be looking at several £tens of thousands including repatriation. Such a big bill might just have them asking for proof of when you left the UK.

IMO the figures that @ramsthom has quoted have got to be worth that peace of mind ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

You should do as it proves when here how long/short a period you have been in the country. Additionally 4 years ago my nephew flew out here on a Tuesday to give me company on the journey back. When we were stopped at Dover he was required prove when he had left the country .They actually asked for his boarding pass , which usually no one keeps, but fortunately he still had it.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We broke down on the way to the Portsmouth ferry and ended up not going as the part took a while to arrive. I phoned the travel insurance and she was able to confirm whilst I was on the phone that we had not been on the ferry and the money was in our account within 48 hours. As there are increasing numbers of fraudulent claims I can't imagine they will hand over money without checking either online or by requesting some sort of proof.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have out travel insurance through our bank and never had to use it until recently when my wife broke her toes while in America and I have to say they were wonderful and even upgraded her to business class for the journey home so she could keep her foot elevated, well done HSBC. :D

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have used Saga for fair while. Our last annual payment was £360 Annual for us both ,being over 70 we thought that was ok .They do make a few mistakes at times,they had me down on blood pressure tablets for a few years .I told them that was not the case .still waiting for the refund lol. PS. That covers us for 90 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gradyp

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Try Holiday Safe. Both aged 71 years with some minor medical issues. They offer 31, 45 and 90 duration coverage. We selected the 45 days with £50 excess. We initially paid £150 but due to BH just having a hernia op it was increased to £200. Still good value.
Just got it from "Holiday Safe" 45 days , came out at £99 for the year , which is double the cost on the comparison sites but the maximum they would cover was 31 days

Thanks all for your comments

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've just upgraded our Nationwide Travel Insurance for up to 92 days for an additional £46.36 for the two of us and for as many times as we can fit in before the expiry of 16 December 2017 - think that's just once then as Joe can't actually drive for another couple of weeks yet!

Denise

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back