Travel and stay in the Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Michael Rennison yes we know that cycle path from Lourdes. In fact when we cycled up Tourmalet we started in Lourdes and went up and back down via that path. It has to be said we were completely 'wasted'.

My wife tends to come up with most of these ideas and we both agreed it was a Laurel and Hardy ' well that another fine mess we are in '

Happy days which hopefully are about to start again.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
On the Spanish side of the Pyrenees there are loads of places which are good for walking and cycling. Some of the places places we've stayed at are Ainsa, Alquezar, Boltana, Biescas, Murillo de Tou, Murillo de Gallego, Canyon Rio Lobos - all these have campsites nearby and some have aires. Pictures to follow.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We stayed on a Campsite years ago on the Spanish side real old fashion campsite but clean facilities , a good restaurant the village people down the hill came up at weekend and ate there ! views over a Plain fantastic , I would say you can see for 30 odd miles from edge of site , there is also a Castle up higher on the hill which you can walk to, Site called Castle something perhaps some one on here knows exactly the name and where it is, it was around Pamplona area, just spent about an half hour on google sorry can't find it having moved house we are still finding things, if I find campsite I'll come back to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
I went up to Andorra in June one year ,still snow there then .Good for discounted shopping & goods. Cheese factories ,wineries. hot springs (Aixe Le Therme) ,fantastic scenery & tiny mountain villages. Hope you make it ,,enjoy !!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The Pyrénées are a fantastic place to visit, both the French side and the Spanish and not forgetting Andorra. Lots and lots of campsites and Aires available for camping cars.
Too many places to mention, just explore this beautiful region.
Visiting in May one or two of the high cols, Tourmalet and Aubisque may still be closed due to snow and Spring road works to repair the damage caused by the harsh winters at that altitude.
Some fantastic roads for motorcycle my preferred method of traveling in the Pyrénées.

View attachment 576932

Lovely panorama - pity somebody stuck a motorbike in the forground! :LOL:

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
This is the Canyon Rio Lobos looking down from the lookout point. It's an easy walk from the nearest campsite to the start of the signed walk along the canyon or you can just park up nearby. The walk is easy as it's mainly flat, but there are 1 or 2 muddy stretches so you'll need boots.
Canyon Rio Lobos.jpg
Canyon Rio dog.jpg

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
This is Murillo de Gallego. Great walks from here to the village at the foot of the Murillo (rock wall) and there's a circular walk from there which it has to be said is not easy going. There's also a simple walk from the campsite which is down to the river. You can do rafting and all sorts of outdoor stuff in this area. The campsite is basic (no black waste dump) but has a good restaurant.
Murillo de Gallego.jpg

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
This is Ainsa old town and you can walk here over the top from the campsite at Murillo de Tou. The 2nd photo is of the tower at the top of the walk just up from the sampsite at Murillo de Tou.
Ainsa old town.jpg
Murillo de Tou.jpg

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
Michael Rennison yes we know that cycle path from Lourdes. In fact when we cycled up Tourmalet we started in Lourdes and went up and back down via that path. It has to be said we were completely 'wasted'.

My wife tends to come up with most of these ideas and we both agreed it was a Laurel and Hardy ' well that another fine mess we are in '

Happy days which hopefully are about to start again.
The Tourmalet from Lourdes 😎 - that must have been quite a ride. Divorce in a 16km climb - maybe even by the first set of avalanche galleries 😂. How did you keep your sense of humour for the ride, let alone the scary descent back to Lourdes 😉

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi , we live near Mirepoix in the Arriege and have a MH & Harley, been here 22 years so if you want a lot of info message me a contact detail , with your likes etc and I'll help you plan a trip. Depending on the winter there can still be snow in early May if you go high into the mountains, this requires snow chains by law when there is snow on the roads.........this is a fabulous place to tour and I would urge you to read up on the Cathar history of this area as it is the main historical draw , with many old chateaux and villages from the time....good luck
You're maybe not far from my friends then, they live in Coussa. They have a large farmhouse with gites.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This is Murillo de Gallego. Great walks from here to the village at the foot of the Murillo (rock wall) and there's a circular walk from there which it has to be said is not easy going. There's also a simple walk from the campsite which is down to the river. You can do rafting and all sorts of outdoor stuff in this area. The campsite is basic (no black waste dump) but has a good restaurant. View attachment 577130
Great photo of the Riglos, which I imagine was taken from Murillo de Gallego, lots of Griffon Vultures to be seen, very famous for climbing, a stunning location indeed.
The Campsite you mentioned with a castle above and the good restaurant could be Castillo de Loarre in the Huesca region, great location, quaint campsite with good place to eat.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Understand about towing the motorcycle, it's a long way!!
You may find some interesting places to visit in this article on line.
Some great suggestions on there. I am surprised they don't list the rhune train

Or Ax Les Therme,.

dazandandrea if you ve got a m/c I would try and find a way of taking it, some wonderful roads in that region.

Hydratrail perhaps

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are fairly new to European travel in our van. So douing a trip like that would be a massive undertaking.
You are worrying far to much, it will be a doddle. Motorhoming in France is so much easier than the UK. Driving is easier, finding a place to stop is just so easy. The French welcome Motorhomes with open arms not like the Brits who appear to hate them.

Don't restrict yourself to sites look at the Aires they are everywhere in France, we never use sites in France don't do planning just amble along. Download Camper Contact that will give you an idea of what is avalible.
If you restrict yourself to sites it will restrict your season as a lot don't open until May and close end of August.

Have a look at my trips links in my signature.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
You are worrying far to much, it will be a doddle. Motorhoming in France is so much easier than the UK. Driving is easier, finding a place to stop is just so easy. The French welcome Motorhomes with open arms not like the Brits who appear to hate them.

Don't restrict yourself to sites look at the Aires they are everywhere in France, we never use sites in France don't do planning just amble along. Download Camper Contact that will give you an idea of what is avalible.
If you restrict yourself to sites it will restrict your season as a lot don't open until May and close end of August.

Have a look at my trips links in my signature.
Not so much worried. We have had trips to Belgium and holland a few years ago its just the planning side of things , fitting things roynd work etc.
Ill definitely look at your trips. Thanks

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Michael Rennison We used to sail racing dinghies together, the last being an RS 200, so we got very used to coping with some pretty 'hairy' situations and trusting one another! The only rule we have is, if one of us wants to quit than we quit. Hasn't happened very often to date. I am more restraint on descents now after having a few flats on descents such as Col du Vars which wasn't pleasant!

A slap on the helmet from behind normally does the trick to get my attention!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is Murillo de Gallego. Great walks from here to the village at the foot of the Murillo (rock wall) and there's a circular walk from there which it has to be said is not easy going. There's also a simple walk from the campsite which is down to the river. You can do rafting and all sorts of outdoor stuff in this area. The campsite is basic (no black waste dump) but has a good restaurant. View attachment 577130
Last November we stopped at the site in the village the P4N spot at the top of the village was naff. We were our way home didn't have time for a walk around the hills it would have been nice.

There is a black dump at the bottom of the site, you have to lift a manhole cover

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Last November we stopped at the site in the village the P4N spot at the top of the village was naff. We were our way home didn't have time for a walk around the hills it would have been nice.

There is a black dump at the bottom of the site, you have to lift a manhole cover
OH thanks will look out for it next time.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Great photo of the Riglos, which I imagine was taken from Murillo de Gallego, lots of Griffon Vultures to be seen, very famous for climbing, a stunning location indeed.
The Campsite you mentioned with a castle above and the good restaurant could be Castillo de Loarre in the Huesca region, great location, quaint campsite with good place to eat.
Yes that's right it was taken from Murillo and I'd forgotten that the village was called Riglos. As you say lots of vultures to be seen. Likewise in the hills around Ainsa.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back