Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
So I've brought a mk8 transit minibus. Medium l3 wheelbase mid height.

Light conversion with double bed in back cooker pod and toilet pod.

Pick up Friday.

Watch this space.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20210510-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210510-WA0005.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Congratulations, I purchased the jumbo 17 seater version at Christmas, they make for an interesting conversion. Regards Andy

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Have you started?

What makes them interesting?

What layout?

Do you have any pictures?

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Interesting points on my 65 plate xlwb: Ford decided to clip 90% of the wiring loom down the outside of the steelwork covered by the soft roof lining. The soft lining hid about six inches of usable storage space when removed. The ribs between the windows are only about 12mm deep. While the ribs below the windows are more numerous than bones in the fish from my local fish and chip shop. Everything I wanted to transfer from an older conversion like a trauma water heater had to be tried in about five different places, requiring design changes each time. That said everything seems to be driving towards a better solution to our needs (a five birth for my daughters use, or two birth for my wife and I). By lifting the seat height I found a whole line of pre-punched holes ideal for bolting seat rails to with rivnuts. The now ridiculously deep footwell between a rear U shaped lounge has given me the opportunity of creating additional food storage below an artificial floor. The fore-mentioned cabling down each side is just above the windows and again coexists with another line of those pre-punched holes and others with captive nuts, I made wooden trunking around them and placed other cables for lighting, usbs points, fans, etc to run safely and accessibly inside. The bolted-down trunking also forms an upper section to the window frames and will also give firm support to the high-level compartments. My bus also has rear air-con and an auto step but these take up an awful lot of useful chassis space. All in all its fought me every step of the build, but for me, the outcome has made the design more successful.
I've got some photos on my phone I'll try and switch them across tonight. Regards Andy.

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
That's really interesting thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you strip out the plastics and reboard?

I'm thinking of a lite conversion as I use the van for my men's shed work.

I may well leave insulating it until the autumn..

Do the cup holders sit on the strengthening beans under the window? I could use them to locate fixed bed frame.

I did notice a shed load of space above the headlining. Mine has a fixed sunroof!

What ventilation do they have will I need a fan / spinny vent?

Cheers James

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Hi James, I needed to keep five seats including the drivers and passengers front seat. For the two behind the driver's position I kept the plastic with the cup holder, everything else had to go. My rear u-shaped long makes into a bed and uses some of the space where the plastic mouldings existed giving a six-foot two-inch bed space. If I can get my I phone to load onto the wife's computer (it doesn't seem to like my Linux system) I can show some of the work I've done. I retired onto a narrowboat in December so storage is a major problem and this limits useful photos since tools materials and workspace are all one. If all fails I'm back at my mooring on Friday and can retake some images.
The bus came with a factory fitted top window so I placed a Max fan just in front of it. Andy

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Just another thought, Ophelia the bus's name from her private school life in London had a roof rack fitted, subsequently removed before sale by the leasing company. It snowed in late January and I found out the hard way that they hadn't sealed up the fixing points. It now has new roof bars fitted for solar panels and a fiamma f45 awning. Andy

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Andy PM sent.

Snap the same happened to my movano as they removed a roof rack and gaffa taped the holes!

One reason why I want to keep it as stock as possible!

Cheers James

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Just another thought, Ophelia the bus's name from her private school life in London had a roof rack fitted, subsequently removed before sale by the leasing company. It snowed in late January and I found out the hard way that they hadn't sealed up the fixing points. It now has new roof bars fitted for solar panels and a fiamma f45 awning. Andy
Be interesetd in this too, I bought a jumbo with 17 seats and am not too happy with the height now I have it. Its fine for a day camper do Im still sitting watching it and wondering whether to crack on or sell it and go for super high and go full height van..
Mine also has the fatory fitted window and is in good nick tbh....decisions decisions ??

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Still working on images, but was able to pull down the original sales images and some I took for an email. with an insulated floor I've certainly got well over six foot three of height inside. Andy

Attachments

• image(1).png
    image(1).png
    730.3 KB · Views: 180
  • image.png
    image.png
    737.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    787.8 KB · Views: 189
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I guess you brought a jumbo for the space which makes sense for travelling. But then you want the height for cabinets etc.

I'm using it for a day van / w/e van and the extra height isn't a necessity and the jumbo length would be a pain in the neck.

Andy if you don't mind measuring what's the distance from the back of your passenger seats to the back doors? No probs if you have a glass of wine in hand!! I can measure on Friday!

Cheers James

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive got the jumbo 2013 Jamesh and the distance is 4m from rear of passenger to metal of rear doors

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Apologies I had to walk the beast, I'm afraid I'm about 2 days away from the van but from my sketches there was 4.2 meters of usable space behind the drivers seat and the first double passenger seat with AGMs and B2B under, takes up about 900mm.

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Why do wives bless them, do things like handing you a data stick of images that are all encrypted?:doh::doh::doh:

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Ive got the jumbo 2013 Jamesh and the distance is 4m from rear of passenger to metal of rear doors
Sorry I thought you or Adam had a LWB.

So 3.4 - .9 leaves me with 2.5.

Bed will be 1.5m wide leaving me with 1m for heads on drivers side and kitchen on passenger side.

Cheers James

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Hi, James, my layout in the L4H3 model if you're interested. Have fun tomorrow with the bus..
1620929457891.png

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
That's a great layout!

Couldn't be more different to my van and intended use!

I pick it up tomorrow morning!

Will post some pics!

Cheers James

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
By using Cabbunk on the two front seats for two boys (aged 10 and 8) with sleeping bags.Then the rear lounge will make a large three-person bed for my daughter and her two girls( aged 12 and 4) a squeeze but doable. It will also make for a luxurious space for my wife and I when we travel alone, at least in comparison to a narrowboat where you can easily touch both sidewalls.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
By using Cabbunk on the two front seats for two boys (aged 10 and 8) with sleeping bags.Then the rear lounge will make a large three-person bed for my daughter and her two girls( aged 12 and 4) a squeeze but doable. It will also make for a luxurious space for my wife and I when we travel alone, at least in comparison to a narrowboat where you can easily touch both sidewalls.
Sounds excellent, and tell you what it will be fun when you're all in cozy and tucked up laughing with the kids....priceless

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Van us great drives nice - car like really, plenty of power to get over the Yorkshire dales.

Stealing wheel is small! A bit sensitive compared to the master and sprinters I have driven.

Filled up at the garage and read the weight plate 4100kg! Help!! That's not what I thought it was!

Going to have to get it downplayed svtech charge £144.

Doh needs must!

Cheers James

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Been out to the van 11ft front to back 6ft 1" wide

Will have a 5ft transverse bed 3ft loo / kitchen unit.

First job is to get the seats out. I thought they unclipped but they look bolted in. Anyone know if you can get plastic covers for the redundant holes?

Will ask on transit forum.

Cheers James

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Sorry James I can't help on that one, I insulated with kingspan and put in a new floor. If the L3 is like the L4 lookout for a pcb boxed in black plastic found on the driver side in the last rib space before the lighting clusters and lower hinge. No one has been able to tell me what it's for but you may have to modify any plans you have to keep some access to it. Any photos of her yet? Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Not the best. I'm afraid.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20210514-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20210514-WA0007.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-20210514-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20210514-WA0009.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Sorry James I can't help on that one, I insulated with kingspan and put in a new floor. If the L3 is like the L4 lookout for a pcb boxed in black plastic found on the driver side in the last rib space before the lighting clusters and lower hinge. No one has been able to tell me what it's for but you may have to modify any plans you have to keep some access to it. Any photos of her yet? Andy
Trailer control unit?

Just a guess?

Cheers James

OP
OP
J

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Andy how did you remove the seats USA models seem to be torx bolts from inside the van.

Are UK seats the same?

I'm supprised how rusty it is underneath. Surface rust but still... Galvanising paint and underseal i think?

Cheers James

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Exactly the same internal tracks held by torx screws 50/55 if I remember correctly. If you can take out any unwanted ones you'll save 10s of kgs, even if you put the screws back into the holes in the floor to seal them. The seats have a sprung clip at the rear. Two screw divers, one per leg lifted them then the seat hinges forwards and pulls away. Some I believe had small pulls attached like tie bands instead of having to use a screw driver, but from twenty years of teaching experience that would have been too much of a temptation for small fingers. Rust wasn't a problem on mine but it was mollycoddled in a small prep school, they probably never took Ophelia out in the rain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back